Notifications
Clear all

21/F Accutane 40mg/day Daily Log + Pics

MemberMember
(@funnyguy69)

Posted : 06/18/2016 6:45 pm

Hi everyone! 
I've had acne since I was 10. My doctor refused to refer me to a derm until I was 16, and I'm now 21. I've been prescribed about 10 different medications by the two, and finally I decided enough was enough. I went to a new dermatologist and from the very first visit he asked if I was interested in Accutane. That was a month ago. I'll get my prescription filled on Monday (I have to wait because of the whole iPledge thing) and then I'll start. He's got me at 40mg/day for the first two weeks and he said it's likely that he'll up my dosage after that.

I can't wait to finally have clear skin!

These pics are from today, so what I look like pre-accutane.
2dadb2h.jpg
14kz6lt.jpg
w98qog.jpg

MemberMember
(@funnyguy69)

Posted : 06/21/2016 2:25 pm

Day 2:
Yesterday was my first day taking accutane, making this day 2. My skin feels just as oily as before, and I haven't experienced any of the dry lips or anything yet. I have one new white head and two new cysts. The only difference is that my skin feels a bit more sensitive to the touch. Like I accidentally scratched my face earlier and it hurt SO bad. Hoping things improve.

MemberMember
(@funnyguy69)

Posted : 06/22/2016 2:21 pm

Day 3:
I'm really not seeing any improvement yet. I definitely have a dry mouth and my hands feel like chalk they're so dry, but that's about it. I woke up today with one new cyst and two new whiteheads and didn't see any shrinking of the ones I already had.

MemberMember
(@funnyguy69)

Posted : 06/23/2016 10:04 pm

Day 4:
Still really no improvement. My skin is still extremely oily and I had two new whiteheads this morning. No new cysts though, so that's a plus! I've also got a bit of the dry mouth going on still but it's just encouraging me to drink more water, which is never a bad thing. Hopefully it starts to get better soon. It's really hard not to pick because all of these whiteheads that I'm getting are so SO so ready to be popped from the minute they show up but I'm staying strong 

MemberMember
(@kay789)

Posted : 06/24/2016 5:24 am

From everything I've heard and from personal experience, don't even look for improvement in the first month. It's very unlikely that you will see it. Everyone is different, but one month, 6 weeks, 3 months, end of course - are common times where people start citing improvement. Very few see clearance this early on.

That being said - you WILL see improvement eventually! Keep at it, and good luck!!

MemberMember
(@funnyguy69)

Posted : 06/24/2016 12:12 pm

6 hours ago, Kay789 said:

From everything I've heard and from personal experience, don't even look for improvement in the first month. It's very unlikely that you will see it. Everyone is different, but one month, 6 weeks, 3 months, end of course - are common times where people start citing improvement. Very few see clearance this early on.

That being said - you WILL see improvement eventually! Keep at it, and good luck!!

Thank you so much! That gives me a lot of hope! I always see those posts where people say that their acne was already showing improvement in one week but that's usually deceptive because the worst is yet to come lol. I'm trying really hard to be patient but it's SO hard when I've had acne for so long! Haha I just want it gone!

Day 5:
I have a new ???? on my jawline today, but that's the only new spot. I don't know what it is though! It's a really dark spot and there's no head or anything to it, but it feels like I could pop it if I really wanted to (I DON'T, I'm keeping my hands off my face) because I can feel that the pore is clogged underneath my skin. Probably that means it's going to turn into a doozy of a cyst, but we'll see. It's kinda strange but at least it's in a place where not many others are going to notice it. Other than that, nothing new to report BUT today was the first day in a LONG while that I woke up and there WASN'T enough oil on my face to fry an egg. Hopefully my face will begin drying out so we can get the real show on the road :D 

MemberMember
(@funnyguy69)

Posted : 06/25/2016 9:51 am

Day 6:
Not much difference to report today! I have only one new spot and it's really not visible, just that I can feel it when I wash my face. Also, I'm not sure if it's accutane related, but my hair feels AMAZING lol. Usually it gets so greasy within about 16 hours of me washing it, but it's been a full 36 hours since I washed my hair last and it feels like I just washed it maybe an hour ago! I'm hoping that means that the amount of oil I'm producing really is decreasing.

MemberMember
(@funnyguy69)

Posted : 06/27/2016 5:48 pm

Day 7 - 8:
I woke up Day 7 feeling surprisingly clear but throughout the day I ended up breaking out quite a bit. I went to the zoo and it was REALLY humid out so I suspect that might have had something to do with it, along with the fact that it's been my TOM, so I'm not surprised I'm not really seeing any improvement yet. My lips are really dry and my mouth is really dry and my scalp is really dry and I realized I absolutely cannot wash my hair every day like I used to unless I want to be miserable lol. I'm also breaking out on my forehead a bit, which is something that RARELY happens. 

Basically I guess so far it definitely seems like things are getting worse before they get better. I'm not going to stop hoping that they do get better eventually though!

2u9shg7.jpg
ehb1vq.jpg
29ej2v.jpg
2d9sqjc.jpg
2lszcc1.jpg 

MemberMember
(@funnyguy69)

Posted : 06/28/2016 4:05 pm

Day 9:
I'm pretty sure my skin is gradually getting worse but it's so bad already that it's hard to tell lol. I have two new blind pimples and a bunch of new breakouts on my forehead. My lips are also SUPER dry and I had my first bloody nose this morning! I wasn't expecting a bloody nose to happen so soon but I'm really susceptible to them in the winter (because of the dry weather) so I'm not really that surprised.

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 06/28/2016 6:38 pm

You're still in the early days so keep being optimistic!

Just to share my journey (almost one month) my lips are so dry that they are bleeding. I've been applying papaw cream on it and annoyed I forgot to bring it with me this morning. Going to have to buy another one during lunch.

I don't have nose bleeds but I clear out my nose every morning and there is always a tonne of dry blood flakes coming out of it.

Acne wise I've been clearing but I have new sets coming on. But I have noticed that they die down soooooo much quicker so that I'm happy.

Just got to hang in there

MemberMember
(@shuangzixj)

Posted : 06/29/2016 12:36 am

I'm waiting for the ipledge thing now. Not start taking accutane yet. My next appt is on 7/7, not sure when can I start taking it. I'll definitely follow your post lol

MemberMember
(@funnyguy69)

Posted : 06/30/2016 11:16 pm

On 6/28/2016 at 7:38 PM, invisiblenetrix said:

You're still in the early days so keep being optimistic!

Just to share my journey (almost one month) my lips are so dry that they are bleeding. I've been applying papaw cream on it and annoyed I forgot to bring it with me this morning. Going to have to buy another one during lunch.

I don't have nose bleeds but I clear out my nose every morning and there is always a tonne of dry blood flakes coming out of it.

Acne wise I've been clearing but I have new sets coming on. But I have noticed that they die down soooooo much quicker so that I'm happy.

Just got to hang in there

Oh wow! Are your lips very painful? I've been using Carmex on mine and they're starting to get ito the point where it feels like I can peel my whole lip off lol. What's pawpaw cream? DOes it work well? I was thinking about looking into something new because I HATE the taste of the Carmex. Congratulations on your success so far :D I can't wait till I can report the same!

On 6/29/2016 at 1:36 AM, shuangzixj said:

I'm waiting for the ipledge thing now. Not start taking accutane yet. My next appt is on 7/7, not sure when can I start taking it. I'll definitely follow your post lol

The ipledge thing is definitely a pain in the butt lol. If you make a log, I'll follow your's too! :) 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 10-11:

My lips are starting to peel BAD. If anyone following this has any idea of what I should use other than Carmex, I'm all ears :) My scalp is also super dry and I have no idea wha to do about it because all of my shampoo is for greasy hair because that's what I usually have! I also got a SUPER bad sunburn today. I only spent about an hour in 70 degree Fahrenheit weather! Luckily I avoided getting sunburnt on my face thanks to the sunblock in my moisturizer, but I'll have to be more careful about applying sunscreen in the future. Acne wise I think I'm doing the same. Still a lot of active spots and the spots that I've been getting just end up peeling and staying as red spots. 

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 07/01/2016 3:57 am

Unfortunately, I had to stop taking accutane. I have to say the past 2 days my libido has disappeared and it's 100% accutane related :/
It was such a shame because my acne was finally clearing and for some reason it made my mind so clear.

No lips were not painful at all, they were just extremely cracked and red. The bleeding wasn't like gushing out or anything if I've mislead you lol. Just when I licked my lips I'll be able to taste blood.

MemberMember
(@shuangzixj)

Posted : 07/01/2016 11:25 am

I might be too lazy to make a log, besides, my English is not that good to make a log lol 
I'm very excited when I found your log. It's like give me an idea of what might happen and telling me that I'm not alone. That make me feel better. Thank you!
I just feel that the waiting time passed super slow, I can't wait to start the treatment. This one month waiting is like waste of time :( and there is 5 more months to go to get it clear. I'm already 28. I got acne break out like 3 years ago. Before I decide to take any treatment, I got pregnant, and then I could do nothing until I was done with nursing. And my acne is getting worse and worse, everyday there are new ones coming out before the old ones heal themselves. And my mom calls me everyday asking how is my acne. I'm so tired of telling her that it's getting worse every time :( 
I really hope this accutane would work.

MemberMember
(@funnyguy69)

Posted : 07/03/2016 12:17 am

On 7/1/2016 at 4:57 AM, invisiblenetrix said:

Unfortunately, I had to stop taking accutane. I have to say the past 2 days my libido has disappeared and it's 100% accutane related :/
It was such a shame because my acne was finally clearing and for some reason it made my mind so clear.

No lips were not painful at all, they were just extremely cracked and red. The bleeding wasn't like gushing out or anything if I've mislead you lol. Just when I licked my lips I'll be able to taste blood.

Oh no, that's really too bad! Was it because of your dosage or just overall a bad reaction? OHHH I gotcha. I can tell that mine are definitely headed down that path lol, I feel like my lips are about to split up my whole face sometimes lol.

On 7/1/2016 at 0:25 PM, shuangzixj said:

I might be too lazy to make a log, besides, my English is not that good to make a log lol 
I'm very excited when I found your log. It's like give me an idea of what might happen and telling me that I'm not alone. That make me feel better. Thank you!
I just feel that the waiting time passed super slow, I can't wait to start the treatment. This one month waiting is like waste of time :( and there is 5 more months to go to get it clear. I'm already 28. I got acne break out like 3 years ago. Before I decide to take any treatment, I got pregnant, and then I could do nothing until I was done with nursing. And my acne is getting worse and worse, everyday there are new ones coming out before the old ones heal themselves. And my mom calls me everyday asking how is my acne. I'm so tired of telling her that it's getting worse every time :( 
I really hope this accutane would work.

I think your English is great, I never would have guessed it isn't your native language! I definitely know what you mean about the wait. I feel like I've waited half my life for this stuff. It's gonna be worth it in the end though! I'm sure you'll have great success with it :D People asking about acne are the worst lol, I used to have the same problem! People would ask me what's on my face and I'd have to awkwardly tell them that I have a lot of zits.. ugh.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 12-13
I feel like I'm finally starting to see a little bit of improvement! My lips continue to be super dry and I got another bloody nose today (this time while I was at work.. so much fun lol), and I also have a SUPER SUPER SUPER dry and itchy scalp. Other than the side effects, I think the course is going well so far. My spots are getting smaller and smaller and I'm getting fewer and fewer new ones each day (only 2 new spots this morning :D). OVerall, I'm pretty happy.

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 07/03/2016 6:17 am

On 7/1/2016 at 2:16 PM, funnyguy69 said:
Oh wow! Are your lips very painful? I've been using Carmex on mine and they're starting to get ito the point where it feels like I can peel my whole lip off lol. What's pawpaw cream? DOes it work well? I was thinking about looking into something new because I HATE the taste of the Carmex. Congratulations on your success so far :D I can't wait till I can report the same!
  The ipledge thing is definitely a pain in the butt lol. If you make a log, I'll follow your's too! :) 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 10-11:

My lips are starting to peel BAD. If anyone following this has any idea of what I should use other than Carmex, I'm all ears :) My scalp is also super dry and I have no idea wha to do about it because all of my shampoo is for greasy hair because that's what I usually have! I also got a SUPER bad sunburn today. I only spent about an hour in 70 degree Fahrenheit weather! Luckily I avoided getting sunburnt on my face thanks to the sunblock in my moisturizer, but I'll have to be more careful about applying sunscreen in the future. Acne wise I think I'm doing the same. Still a lot of active spots and the spots that I've been getting just end up peeling and staying as red spots. 

Pa paw cream is the best! Not sure if it's available where you are but it's pretty popular in Australia.
http://www.amcal.com.au/lucas-papaw-ointment-tube-lip-applicator---15g-p-93542807?cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-NA-_-Luca s'-_-93542807&mkwid=syf48BR0o_dc&pcrid=65807436998&pkw=&pmt=&plid=&gclid=Cj0KEQjw7-K7BRCkkIH3t_WwoskBEiQAD8oY3nV-TCbUD0lGd9xn2dSfZDId4Fm7AYMeRSEueKr1VDQaArrB8P8HAQ

MemberMember
(@boston-shore)

Posted : 07/04/2016 12:29 pm

I'm on month 6 of my treatment and all i can say is, please stick with it. :) I know it's frustrating but it will yield results. 

I use Cortibalm for lip-repair and Cetaphil for skin moisturizer. My scalp gets itchy as well but not so much anymore. 

MemberMember
(@savo0057)

Posted : 07/04/2016 11:35 pm

11 hours ago, Boston Shore said:

I'm on month 6 of my treatment and all i can say is, please stick with it. :) I know it's frustrating but it will yield results. 

I use Cortibalm for lip-repair and Cetaphil for skin moisturizer. My scalp gets itchy as well but not so much anymore. 

what month did you notice results from? When did clear skin begin? I am at day 135 still have active acne.

MemberMember
(@boston-shore)

Posted : 07/05/2016 6:12 am

6 hours ago, savo0057 said:
17 hours ago, Boston Shore said:

what month did you notice results from? When did clear skin begin? I am at day 135 still have active acne.

It took about 4.5 months to start noticing real results. It still sort of lingered on but not as bad. I have a detailed process on this thread.  

Granted, my issue was only on my forearms, chest and upper back. Give it more time and stay out of the sun. :)

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@shuangzixj)

Posted : 07/05/2016 11:50 pm

2 days to go for my next Doctor appt, then maybe blood test and a few more days to wait... I already changed my moisturizer, lipbalm, etc. And I spent so many days in the beach recently and plan not going anywhere once the treatment start. Can't wait!! Although it might take months to see the results...lol

MemberMember
(@funnyguy69)

Posted : 07/10/2016 5:27 pm

I've fallen a bit behind on keeping this updated.. I work 50 hours a week so it's not entirely my fault lol I swear

So today officially marks week three (day 21) of accutane for me!

2efpai8.jpg
2nuhlrd.jpg
ehdl4g.jpg

I only have TWO active spots right now! The rest are all red spots or scars from past pimples :)

I had a two week follow up with my derm a couple of days ago, and he told me the medicine is working exactly how it's supposed to. I haven't seen much improvement yet but he told me I probably won't until the second month. Basically all of my symptoms are the same. My skin is super sensitive and it takes nothing to make me bleed. Even scratching an itch hurts. I also have some of the best hair of my life. The corners of my muth are starting to get dry and I can tell they're gonna hurt a lot throughout the treatment. Other than that there really isn't anything new. 

OH I've also decided to change my birth control methods. They were abstinence and none, but I'm going to be getting the implant and will have condoms as my second. Hopefully the implant doesn't do anything crazy hormonally that messes up what little progress I've made lol

MemberMember
(@funnyguy69)

Posted : 07/15/2016 12:46 pm

Day 26:
Pretty sure I'm getting an IB right now.. My skin looks awful and all I want to do is not exist for this week until it's over

MemberMember
(@savo0057)

Posted : 07/16/2016 10:40 pm

On 2016-07-15 at 1:46 PM, funnyguy69 said:
Day 26:
Pretty sure I'm getting an IB right now.. My skin looks awful and all I want to do is not exist for this week until it's over

Fight through that IB, honestly it sucks. I've been there, it really sucks. But, once that's gone you are going to be so happy. Keep fighting the good fight, and I hope your treatment goes great. Your skin looked great in that july 10th pic, and I am sure things will look even better once the IB is gone.

MemberMember
(@invisiblenetrix)

Posted : 07/18/2016 7:17 am

did u end up getting the implant instead? Maybe that triggered something...

either way, keep it up! accutane is a rollercoaster of a ride. Here's to u getting off feeling great :) 

MemberMember
(@shuangzixj)

Posted : 07/21/2016 12:20 pm

I'm on my day 9 and everything is pretty same as you. I got my first nose bleeding on my day 9 too lol