Notifications
Clear all

Vegan plant-based recovery protein powder?

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 06/16/2016 6:38 am

So I drink a smoothie with this plant-based recovery protein powder after I work out. It has no whey or anything (it's vegan), no artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners... Whole Foods Market [Link Removed]

I know there is a correlation between protein powders and acne, but I'm assuming this is primarily for whey-based products, right? A vegan powder should be fine, right? I'm on month 5 of accutane right now so I'm almost done, so I'd hate to stop and then start breaking out from something I'm eating.

I guess it does have wheat and soy...but I eat those in moderation anyway.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@foodforthought)

Posted : 06/17/2016 11:21 pm

I found that a plant-based protein powder certainly didn't help my acne at all. Research around lean body mass increase and protein seems to suggest that it doesn't need to be timed straight after a workout, simply more in your diet in general - maybe you can up that in an acne-friendly way through salmon, greens etc. and foods not too high in Omega 6?

MemberMember
(@welcomesmirk)

Posted : 06/18/2016 12:31 am

I've consumed both whey and plant based formulas, however I seem to get sick no matter the quality of whey I use, so I stopped using it years ago. I recommend using vegaessentials (research the ingredients; you'll be mindblown.) If that isn't in your reach, use an organic hemp protein powder. Better than brown rice/pea protein I find, and it seems to react better with acne.

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 06/19/2016 9:19 am

On 6/18/2016 at 0:21 AM, 285976_1443948302 said:

I found that a plant-based protein powder certainly didn't help my acne at all. Research around lean body mass increase and protein seems to suggest that it doesn't need to be timed straight after a workout, simply more in your diet in general - maybe you can up that in an acne-friendly way through salmon, greens etc. and foods not too high in Omega 6?

Yeah I know, I read such conflicting stuff about whether protein needs to be consumed within an hour after a workout or not. I def eat plenty of protein and have a good omega 3 to 6 ratio, so maybe I'll just phase the powder out...

On 6/18/2016 at 1:31 AM, WelcomeSmirk said:

I've consumed both whey and plant based formulas, however I seem to get sick no matter the quality of whey I use, so I stopped using it years ago. I recommend using vegaessentials (research the ingredients; you'll be mindblown.) If that isn't in your reach, use an organic hemp protein powder. Better than brown rice/pea protein I find, and it seems to react better with acne.

I've seen this product at whole foods! The only thing is there didn't seem to be any major ingredient differences from what I get, aside from the brown rice protein. Hemp protein powder does seem like a good option too though... thanks!

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/19/2016 1:42 pm

My boyfriend has used pea powder but he said it can give you a lot of gas.

MemberMember
(@welcomesmirk)

Posted : 06/19/2016 5:17 pm

7 hours ago, Stephen23 said:
Yeah I know, I read such conflicting stuff about whether protein needs to be consumed within an hour after a workout or not. I def eat plenty of protein and have a good omega 3 to 6 ratio, so maybe I'll just phase the powder out...

I've seen this product at whole foods! The only thing is there didn't seem to be any major ingredient differences from what I get, aside from the brown rice protein. Hemp protein powder does seem like a good option too though... thanks!

My apologies, I got the brand name wrong. After your comment I was in disblief that you found a product with similar ingredients, and it turns out I gave you the wrong brand. The exact powder is "VegEssential All in One by Progressive". It's not the vegabrand at all, and I've never used vega. Sorry for the mislead. Now go research that product and be mindblow !!

MemberMember
(@stephen23)

Posted : 06/20/2016 6:34 pm

On 6/19/2016 at 6:17 PM, WelcomeSmirk said:
On 6/19/2016 at 10:19 AM, Stephen23 said:

My apologies, I got the brand name wrong. After your comment I was in disblief that you found a product with similar ingredients, and it turns out I gave you the wrong brand. The exact powder is "VegEssential All in One by Progressive". It's not the vegabrand at all, and I've never used vega. Sorry for the mislead. Now go research that product and be mindblow !!

Oh okay lol those ingredients are super good, you're right.

MemberMember
(@coce99)

Posted : 06/24/2016 12:33 pm

I found out ive been breaking out on my back from milk and whey, since i cut it my back is ok. Ive been using myprotein vege blend wich is pea, brown rice and hemp protein powder. I also concluded I bteak out more from a cheap whey koncentrate like myprotein than twinlab mix of koncetrate/isolate or Gold whey standard.

Stephen23 liked
MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/25/2016 10:14 am

21 hours ago, Coce99 said:

I found out ive been breaking out on my back from milk and whey, since i cut it my back is ok. Ive been using myprotein vege blend wich is pea, brown rice and hemp protein powder. I also concluded I bteak out more from a cheap whey koncentrate like myprotein than twinlab mix of koncetrate/isolate or Gold whey standard.

that sounds like a good option.

MemberMember
(@courtlywicket)

Posted : 02/28/2017 4:04 pm

Pea protein definitley helped me, no doubt about it. I think the dairy content in the whey was making me break out. I've heard that it spikes insulin which is good for weightlifters, but not for acne according to what I've read here

MemberMember
(@courtlywicket)

Posted : 06/22/2017 3:57 pm

On 6/19/2016 at 2:42 PM, snarkygirl said:

My boyfriend has used pea powder but he said it can give you a lot of gas.

I'm starting to experience this as well... :(