Notifications
Clear all

Is Accutane Worth it?

MemberMember
(@joshreider)

Posted : 06/13/2016 10:04 am

Hey guys, I'm a 15 y/o (turned 15 in February) and I've suffered from acne since late 2014, with it getting progressively worse since I started getting it. Currently I have Acne vulgaris (atleast I think it is) all over my checks, chin, forehead, and my back including my shoulders and chest. My nose is also covered in blackheads and my chin is covered in white heads. I've tried a SURPLUS of different things including, doxycycline, minocycline, epiduo, over 8 different face washes, many masks, clindamyacin, collagen, tretinoin, and a couple more topicals I can't remember. It just gets worse and worse! I've been to the dermo and they were going to put me on accutane, because nothing else has worked and both my parents have had success with it. My biggest issue with accutane is stunting my growth, I'm currently 6'3.75", which to some may seem really tall but to me is short, as my whole family (cousins and uncles included) are 6'5"+. I really really want to finish my growing, and since I was concerned my doctor got my growth plates checked and I'm supposed to keep growing for 1-2 more years, but around the time I got check (maybe 2 months ago) I was only 6'2- 6'3". I'm trying to get a scholarship for volleyball (I'm a Freshmen in highschool). And for that of course I need to be tall. Do you think it is worth taking accutane or should I wait it out? I'm currently semi self-conscious about my acne and don't really go anywhere without a shirt on. Should I wait until I'm done growing or does the good in accutane better growing?

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 06/13/2016 3:12 pm

I think my advice to anyone who is really feeling torn about taking accutane is to not take it yet. I mean, once acne affects you enough emotionally there is no torn feeling! You just want the damn drug! So if you are not struggling too badly and are still participating fully in life then my advice would be to wait a while. You sound like a good candidate having tried so many things, so either you can just take it in a year or so, or maybe even your acne will clear up in that time anyway? I haven't done a lot of research into the growth thing, but as I understand it, its pretty rare that it would be a problem, but if you took accutane and didn't get any taller would you be ok thinking your whole life thinking what if...? Especially if it has the potential to effect a scholarship.
Good luck with whichever you choose!
(Btw I feel like it would be great hanging out with your family... I'm always feeling too tall for a female at 5'9, it would be great to feel short for a little while ;D)