I need help(pics in...

Notifications
Clear all

I need help(pics included)

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 06/09/2016 9:49 am

I need to stop picking. Does anyone have any tips for pickers? I don't know how to stop. I have been diagnosed with OCD so I struggle with the compulsion to pick anytime I have a pimple. I rarely get whiteheads(I get nodules and cysts), so I don't even know why I attempt to pop my blemishes. I have done this to myself too many times to remember, but I never learn. 

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 06/09/2016 10:05 am

I will do anything like you rather than have a big cystic spot,I don't get many spots now but when I get a big one I slice it open with a razor blade and put 2 steri strips either side to make it look like I have cut myself by accident.

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 06/09/2016 10:41 am

35 minutes ago, kasyani said:

I will do  anything like you rather than have a big cystic spot,I don't get many spots now but when I get a big one I slice it open with a razor blade and put 2 steri strips either side to make it look like I have cut myself by accident.

It's weird, because although I really regret doing this, I almost feel better. Because, now it just looks like I got a scrape or something instead of a huge cystic lump. :/

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/09/2016 1:21 pm

Have you tried meditation or hypnosis?

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 06/10/2016 12:47 am

13 hours ago, MonroeQT said:
It's weird, because although I really regret doing this, I almost feel better. Because, now it just looks like I got a scrape or something instead of a huge cystic lump. :/

Exactly how I feel,don't think many people will understand this but I can go to work and face people and I might get a comment "cut yourself" but to talk to someone with a huge red fleshing spot is horrible and for those of you thinking that popping (sticking pin 1/4 inch deep in cystic spot) and slicing must have left me with a face full of  scars after 43 years,here is my pic at 58 years old.

photo.JPG

MemberMember
(@coolescape)

Posted : 06/15/2016 9:02 pm

Liquid bandaid works wonders for me!!! And it's easy to cover up!

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 06/23/2016 4:42 am

On 6/15/2016 at 9:02 PM, CoolEscape said:

I've never heard of it. Where do you buy it?

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/23/2016 12:18 pm

7 hours ago, MonroeQT said:
On 6/15/2016 at 10:02 PM, CoolEscape said:

I've never heard of it. Where do you buy it?

if you're in the US any drugstore or food store like Giant or Walgreen's or Walmart. With the bangages and band aid aisle.

MemberMember
(@michelle18)

Posted : 07/11/2016 5:46 am

I am not a diagnosed dermatillomaniacbut I have read about this disorderand I'm sure that this happens to me. Because for the past 6 years I have been picking and scratching my cysts and nodules like crazy. When I have a pimple and I pop it I think that it actually works (it's better to wait) but with cysts and nodules it goes from a bump to a hole. I don't know what to do.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/11/2016 11:53 am

6 hours ago, michelle18 said:
I am not a diagnosed dermatillomaniacbut I have read about this disorderand I'm sure that this happens to me. Because for the past 6 years I have been picking and scratching my cysts and nodules like crazy. When I have a pimple and I pop it I think that it actually works (it's better to wait) but with cysts and nodules it goes from a bump to a hole. I don't know what to do.

try hypnosis

MemberMember
(@wadex)

Posted : 07/23/2016 9:54 am

Every time you feel like doing it, tell yourself not to. TELL YOURSELF.

Then apply a medication which eases the sensation and makes it feel like the pimple is being treated and going to go away soon.

Trust me it's soothing to know something is treating it. It works for me.

MemberMember
(@dpinkie)

Posted : 07/25/2016 8:47 pm

On 7/11/2016 at 9:53 AM, snarkygirl said:
On 7/11/2016 at 3:46 AM, michelle18 said:

try hypnosis

How does hypnosis help acne?

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/27/2016 5:52 am

It would help you not to pick at it and not to obsess over it. Just a suggestion cause many people with OCD behaviors have trouble with willpower and resolve.

MemberMember
(@keeping_up)

Posted : 07/27/2016 6:26 pm

best is to take the stimuli for picking away, for me this is red skin, I used to use a perfectly blending coverstick with anti bacterial properties every time I had redness. Then  that became the obsession until I worked it out. It is actually an anxiety reaction. Trying to get back control for the fear of how you look. You could do therapy in impulsive behavior to get your emotions under control. Might want to try a ssri and try to get your stress level down.

Anyway you still look nice try to prevent scarring

MemberMember
(@michelle18)

Posted : 07/30/2016 4:58 am

On 26/7/2016 at 3:47 AM, DPinkie said:

I guess the hypnosis helps with dermatillomania not with acne. I'm trying meditation and doing sport but there are days that nothing works.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/30/2016 9:06 am

4 hours ago, michelle18 said:
On 7/25/2016 at 9:47 PM, DPinkie said:

I guess the hypnosis helps with dermatillomania not with acne. I'm trying meditation and doing sport but there are days that nothing works.

i still pick occasionally. I will pick at a tiny pore and make so etching out of nothing. Last night I was at my moms and picked my cheek, the damn lighting in her bathroom is so tempting for picking to me. I just need to not turn that light on or look in that mirror.

MemberMember
(@michelle18)

Posted : 08/05/2016 7:48 am

Same here. I always avoid mirrors.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/13/2016 7:17 am

+1... I don't get red/inflamed acnes, but whenever I feel a bump, I want to pop whatever it is under there out... Face currently looks like crap. I tell myself not to pick, but I can't seem to control 

MemberMember
(@il90)

Posted : 08/13/2016 8:22 am

On 7/28/2016 at 1:26 AM, Keeping_up said:

best is to take the stimuli for picking away, for me this is red skin, I used to use a perfectly blending coverstick with anti bacterial properties every time I had redness. Then  that became the obsession until I worked it out. It is actually an anxiety reaction. Trying to get back control for the fear of how you look. You could do therapy in impulsive behavior to get your emotions under control. Might want to try a ssri and try to get your stress level down.

Anyway you still look nice try to prevent scarring

Everyones skin looks nice whether they are scarring or not. However, scarring is part of your genetic makeup not as a result of picking. There could also be a specific form of acne that scars. Nevertheless, acne that scar will do so regardless what you do. So don't feel so down about picking because it won't scar anyways if it hasn't at this point. It's like a scrape or something it heals fine. 

Try to let yourself do it how much you want to. Eventually because it is not "forbidden" anymore you might lose interest. I tell myself, do you want to pick and look like shit for a few days? No? Great lets move aways from the mirror and go for a run. Usually we want to pick because we are not allowed to, it becomes an obsession. What if you are allowed to? You could try it. After awhile of being red all the time you get tired of it and stop. 

Good luck!

Try not to be so hard on yourself everyone does it! Go for it if it makes you feel better, you'll be fine regardless.