Notifications
Clear all

We need a Cure Movement more than an Acceptance Movement.

MemberMember
(@jjn)

Posted : 06/05/2016 10:15 am

I'm probably going to upset some people with this post.

I read some posts often from people on here saying that we need to accept our skin, that our acne doesn't define us, yadda yadda yadda. I know these people have good intentions but these types of post upset me very much. The reason is that it just tells me that society will alwaystreatacne without the seriousnessthat it requires, I don't want to "accept my skin". I want my skin to be fixed and right now we still don't have that acne panacea. I want society to direct as much scientific and medical resources as possible to finding a cure.

/rant off

MemberMember
(@jensweetone)

Posted : 06/05/2016 3:33 pm

The reason those of us are more interested in the acceptance movement is because it is realistic and doesn't cost any money. As of now, Accutane is the only treatment that fully takes away acne. Due to the fact that it is not an option/has not worked for some of us, we choose to accept ourselves instead.

MissSac17 liked
MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/06/2016 6:10 am

I concur.
but in the meantime if anybody is unfortunate enough to comment on my skin they will get an earful of facts about the causes of acne and yes, I do freaking wash my face. Lol. I don't think anyone wants to " accept" acne in that they are OK with it, like body type, I think they want society to realize it's a disease and not a result of our poor choices, bad hygiene or...whatever are the imagined causes. Wewant to stop being blamed for something we can't control. Am I right?