Notifications
Clear all

Help put my anxiety to rest...?

MemberMember
(@elee92)

Posted : 06/04/2016 11:02 pm

I'm starting Accutane at the end of this month and I feel super excited/hopeful but nervous/scared. I'm really excited to get started on the road to (hopefully) permanently clear skin, but I'm really nervous about the side effects and it almost makes me want to not take it/push it off but i guess there's no "good time" to be on Accutane.

I know that the side effects may or may not happen or it might not be as severe as the horror stories you read online. But I can't stop thinking about how difficult/miserable they might make my life and I don't know how to stop being such a worry wart =/

What were some of your thoughts and feelings before starting  Accutane and if you were worried like me, how did you comfort yourself/convince yourself this will be worth it/not be that dreaful???

Some of my worries...
Initial break out: my birthday is 10 days after I start; I see new patients/return to class and see all my classmates at the beginning of August. There's going to be a lot of social interaction and I'm dreading showing up with an active IB.
Dehydration: I already drink 3L of water everyday. The thought of being more dehydrated/drinking more is :| Did you guys find yourself peeing more because you drank more from dehydration or did your dehydrated body kind of "soak" up the extra income?
Dry everything: starting August, I'll be working with patients for 3-4 hours at a time and I will not have a chance to rehydrate/remoisturize and I'm already feeling sorry for my skin that will be dried and shriveled from neglect.
Muscle/joint pain: I'll be studying and sitting a lot all July and slightly less so but still a lot starting August and onward. So it'll be important for me to get some exercise in daily. I'm afraid that any muscle/joint pain I have will prevent me from doing either of those things...

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 06/04/2016 11:36 pm

I have been on Accutane twice, and I have never once regretted it. There wasn't a lot of info out there on it when I first went on it, so I can't really say I was too worried about the side effects. Just remember that your dermatologist put you on Accutane because they have determined that the potential side effects outweigh the cost of living with acne for the rest of your life. The worst side effects I experienced were dry skin and lips, but that was temporary, acne is not. Make sure you always have a trial sized lotion and Chapstick on you at all times and you will be just fine. I honestly can't remember if I had an IB or not because my skin was so bad so it was hard to tell. Just remember that if you do have one, it will be worth it in the end if that means clear skin for the rest of your life.

43 minutes ago, elee92 said:

I'm starting Accutane at the end of this month and I feel super excited/hopeful but nervous/scared. I'm really excited to get started on the road to (hopefully) permanently clear skin, but I'm really nervous about the side effects and it almost makes me want to not take it/push it off but i guess there's no "good time" to be on Accutane.

I know that the side effects may or may not happen or it might not be as severe as the horror stories you read online. But I can't stop thinking about how difficult/miserable they might make my life and I don't know how to stop being such a worry wart =/

What were some of your thoughts and feelings before starting  Accutane and if you were worried like me, how did you comfort yourself/convince yourself this will be worth it/not be that dreaful???

Some of my worries...
Initial break out: my birthday is 10 days after I start; I see new patients/return to class and see all my classmates at the beginning of August. There's going to be a lot of social interaction and I'm dreading showing up with an active IB.
Dehydration: I already drink 3L of water everyday. The thought of being more dehydrated/drinking more is :| Did you guys find yourself peeing more because you drank more from dehydration or did your dehydrated body kind of "soak" up the extra income?
Dry everything: starting August, I'll be working with patients for 3-4 hours at a time and I will not have a chance to rehydrate/remoisturize and I'm already feeling sorry for my skin that will be dried and shriveled from neglect.
Muscle/joint pain: I'll be studying and sitting a lot all July and slightly less so but still a lot starting August and onward. So it'll be important for me to get some exercise in daily. I'm afraid that any muscle/joint pain I have will prevent me from doing either of those things...