Notifications
Clear all

A healthy food I cannot make myself eat is...

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/04/2016 7:01 pm

Just for fun, what's a healthy or trendy food you just can't get into?
For me its kale! I've tried really hard to eat it but I loathe it especially kale chips. Tastes like stiff seaweed! I occasionally put a few leaves in a smoothie but if I can taste it, allbets are off. :P

MemberMember
(@exning)

Posted : 06/04/2016 7:27 pm

25 minutes ago, snarkygirl said:

For me its kale! I've tried really hard to eat it but I loathe it especially kale chips. Tastes like stiff seaweed! I occasionally put a few leaves in a smoothie but if I can taste it, allbets are off. :P

Haha you just have to learn how to cook it. Massage it in some oil, onions, salt and pepper and sautee 

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 06/05/2016 10:11 pm

Cauliflower. I had a bad experience when I was a kid(food poisoning from mold), and to this day I can't even look at it without gagging. I've never tried Kale but I heard Kale chips were good. I subscribe to a monthly food box called Vegan Cuts, and according to a spoiler I saw, they are going to be including some in next month's box. I'll let you know if I like them or not lol. 

On June 4, 2016 at 7:01 PM, snarkygirl said:

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/06/2016 5:40 am

7 hours ago, MonroeQT said:

Cauliflower. I had a bad experience when I was a kid(food poisoning from mold), and to this day I can't even look at it without gagging. I've never tried Kale but I heard Kale chips were good. I subscribe to a monthly food box called Vegan Cuts, and according to a spoiler I saw, they are going to be including some in next month's box. I'll let you know if I like them or not lol. 

I hope you like them. I find them vaguely briny/ dried seaweedy.
oh yeah and that Dulce seaweed everyone likes... Nope I can't especially the texture. I guess I'm not mermaid material after all.

On June 4, 2016 at 8:27 PM, Exning said:
Haha you just have to learn how to cook it. Massage it in some oil, onions, salt and pepper and sautee 

yeah I kind of microwaved the crap out of it lol.
do you like spinach? I like cooked spinach and a few other greens.
once I tried making dandelion greens with dressing and my boyfriend says " why are you trying to poison me?" ;)

MemberMember
(@icarus77)

Posted : 07/08/2016 5:33 am

dude you hate kale chips? That's nuts  I love em

I dunno if we're talking about the same things but I found that you can bake Kale (whaaat) with oil and salt and it basically makes crunchy french fry substitutes. It shouldn't be stiff or hard to chew, it literally just kinda.. crunches/crumbs easily, like pringles or something. 

They're so good. 

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/08/2016 2:30 pm

8 hours ago, Icarus77 said:

dude you hate kale chips? That's nuts  I love em

I dunno if we're talking about the same things but I found that you can bake Kale (whaaat) with oil and salt and it basically makes crunchy french fry substitutes. It shouldn't be stiff or hard to chew, it literally just kinda.. crunches/crumbs easily, like pringles or something. 

They're so good. 

I think they taste like something a mermaid would eat...cardboard soaked in sea water and left out to dry.
Maybe I've had really bad ones.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/13/2016 12:04 am

KALE! I hate kale. i cant even pretend to like it. Ive tried it every way possible... in salads, kale chips, kale smoothies... i dont know why everyone is so crazy about it, its gross! So tough and chewy ughhh

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/13/2016 10:03 am

9 hours ago, sh1234 said:

KALE! I hate kale. i cant even pretend to like it. Ive tried it every way possible... in salads, kale chips, kale smoothies... i dont know why everyone is so crazy about it, its gross! So tough and chewy ughhh

lol yay me too. I like spinach and even swiss chard( cooked) but not kale :(

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 07/17/2016 10:16 pm

I don't like eating kale mostly because it lodges itself everywhere in my teeth and is a total pain to floss out.

Don't know how "trendy" these foods are, haha, but here are mine (few, but downright wretched, imo):

Oysters--Never again. I tried one to impress a Foodie date once and immediately vomited it into my napkin.
Sardines---Would sooner starve to death before forcing myself to eat even one. Yes I am *that* dramatic.
Flaxseed Oil and Cod Liver Oil-- I really did try. Just can't stomach them.
Stevia-- I just think it makes everything taste poison.
Shrimp-- It's the texture. Like crunchy fingers?
Cooked Mushrooms-- It's the texture. Like very firm brains?

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/18/2016 5:34 am

7 hours ago, SkinDeeply said:

I don't like eating kale mostly because it lodges itself everywhere in my teeth and is a total pain to floss out. 

Don't know how "trendy" these foods are, haha, but here are mine (few, but downright wretched, imo): 

Oysters--Never again. I tried one to impress a Foodie date once and immediately vomited it into my napkin.
Sardines---Would sooner starve to death before forcing myself to eat even one. Yes I am *that* dramatic.
Flaxseed Oil and Cod Liver Oil--  I really did try. Just can't stomach them.

lol you're not into seafood at all. That's OK its probably safer that way. My " foodie" friend told me he ate snail...escargot, and it tasted like cooked mushrooms :) 
I try to eat sardines but I usually end up giving them to my cat.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/20/2016 4:42 pm

I love kale.  The only healthy thing I'm not into that I can think of right now is fermented vegetables like saurkraut, kimchi, etc. Especially kimchi.   I do like saurkraut, but only a little bit along with the type of food/meal it's traditionally served with. And i rarely eat those things.  I even made a Central American version of saurkraut that I like, but still, I don't eat food/meals that it would go with.  (It's traditionally served with Pupusas, which I like but wouldn't eat often. There's no place to get them near me. I made them once,)  

I don't like olives in food like  pasta sauce, in salads, pizza.  I don't like that kind of flavor contrasting with the other food

On 7/18/2016 at 5:34 AM, snarkygirl said:
lol you're not into seafood at all. That's OK its probably safer that way. My " foodie" friend told me he ate snail...escargot, and it tasted like cooked mushrooms :) 
I try to eat sardines but I usually end up giving them to my cat.
On 7/17/2016 at 10:16 PM, SkinDeeply said:

Flaxseed Oil and Cod Liver Oil--  I really did try. Just can't stomach them.

Shrimp aren't crunchy.  

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 07/20/2016 4:55 pm

24 minutes ago, alternativista said:

I love kale.  The only healthy thing I'm not into that I can think of right now is fermented vegetables like saurkraut, kimchi, etc. Especially kimchi.   I do like saurkraut, but only a little bit along with the type of food/meal it's traditionally served with. And i rarely eat those things.  I even made a Central American version of saurkraut that I like, but still, I don't eat food/meals that it would go with.  (It's traditionally served with Pupusas, which I like but wouldn't eat often. There's no place to get them near me. I made them once,)  

I don't like olives in food like  pasta sauce, in salads, pizza.  I don't like that kind of flavor contrasting with the other food

Love love kale!! SG, try chopped and sauteed in a little lemon EVOO and it's great and ridiculously healthy!! Mixed with your favorite quinoa side, it makes a great quickie lunch that's loaded with natural magnesium! BTW, I tried making kale chips in the oven...gross and they stunk up the whole house!!! |::X

Alternativista: Have you tried any of the Real Pickles fermented veggies? They're surprisingly tasty, especially the ginger carrots and the beets. I eat a spoonful with every meal for the probiotics and digestive enzymes. They're just tart with no weird aftertaste. I prefer these to kefir now!

My son's nutritionist is treating him for a candida overgrowth and turned us onto fermented veggies and bone broth. Now I'm incorporating them into my eating and feeling better too! Bone broth took a little getting used to, smells awful, like well, boiled bones! But mixed with a little regular chicken broth it's quite nice.

Some super foods I can't get into: fennel and kohlrabi...they make frequent appearances in our weekly farm share basket...I usually exchange for more kale! |::D

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 07/20/2016 8:29 pm

3 hours ago, alternativista said:

I love kale. The only healthy thing I'm not into that I can think of right now is fermented vegetables like saurkraut, kimchi, etc. Especially kimchi. I do like saurkraut, but only a little bit along with the type of food/meal it's traditionally served with. And i rarely eat those things. I even made a Central American version of saurkraut that I like, but still, I don't eat food/meals that it would go with. (It's traditionally served with Pupusas, which I like but wouldn't eat often. There's no place to get them near me. I made them once,)

I don't like olives in food like pasta sauce, in salads, pizza. I don't like that kind of flavor contrasting with the other food

Shrimp aren't crunchy.

Maybe I've just convinced myself they are.

MemberMember
(@clearskinpls95)

Posted : 07/21/2016 1:39 am

Definitely Olive oil! Ew.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/21/2016 5:45 am

13 hours ago, alternativista said:

I love kale. The only healthy thing I'm not into that I can think of right now is fermented vegetables like saurkraut, kimchi, etc. Especially kimchi. I do like saurkraut, but only a little bit along with the type of food/meal it's traditionally served with. And i rarely eat those things. I even made a Central American version of saurkraut that I like, but still, I don't eat food/meals that it would go with. (It's traditionally served with Pupusas, which I like but wouldn't eat often. There's no place to get them near me. I made them once,)

I don't like olives in food like pasta sauce, in salads, pizza. I don't like that kind of flavor contrasting with the other food

Shrimp aren't crunchy.

I don't like olives in other foods either...I was thinking that too, but I guess they could be crunchy if you leave the peels on! I've seen someone eat them that way, and aive seen someone eat the scales on salmon. ..!

4 hours ago, ClearSkinPLS95 said:

Definitely Olive oil! Ew.

Ah, but there's olive oil and there's olive oil. Its hard to find a good one, most of the ones I've bought have tasted like cooking oil. In nice restaurants I've had good olive oil with herbs on bread or crostini that tastes good. But In only use it at home to cook with.

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 07/21/2016 8:13 am

Omg same!! This woman I work with eats Kale salad everyday - I would rather eat prison food hahah. And kale chips seem to be SO popular these days - Like why?!

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/21/2016 8:18 am

4 minutes ago, kelbell812 said:

Omg same!! This woman I work with eats Kale salad everyday - I would rather eat prison food hahah. And kale chips seem to be SO popular these days - Like why?!

I also cannot stand that dulse seaweed. I thought it would be like spinach, omg it was sdlimy and some how bacon-y...not s good thing! Something from the sea should not be tasting of pork products!

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/21/2016 6:28 pm

Amen .
btw I followed you cause I like your posts, and you're a Sagittarius girl like me :)

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 07/21/2016 7:26 pm

58 minutes ago, snarkygirl said:

Amen .
btw I followed you cause I like your posts, and you're a Sagittarius girl like me :)

Oh I didn't even realize you could follow people! But that's good because I like your posts too so I followed you back haha.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 08/18/2016 2:24 am

On 7/20/2016 at 5:42 PM, alternativista said:

Shrimp aren't crunchy.

I agree about fermented vegetables, and anything fermented in general. My acne used to flare up whenever I ate sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir and kombucha. I finally put two and two together when an allergic told me about histamine overload...all these fermented foods raise histamines. So, now I'm happy with just the occasional probiotic and avoid all other ferments.