Notifications
Clear all

What other tips when going on Accutane?

MemberMember
(@allaboardthetanetrain)

Posted : 06/03/2016 7:16 am

So I've done plenty of research. I know exactly what it does and how it works and all the science behind it as well as all the possible side effects. I'm a 17 y/o guy btw.
So now my plan is...

- No face washes or topical creams
- Cetaphil moisturiser for any dry skin
- Aquaphor for dry lips
- Always have both with you
- Always have a water bottle with you to stay hydrated
- Finish course unless instructed otherwise
- Dadruff free shampoo
- Eat at least a snack with the tablet

Have I missed anything else?

Also, when people say dry skin does that mean they only get dry skin on their face or is it like full body? Should I get some kind of lotion?

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 06/03/2016 10:26 am

- I'd go for more than just a snack if possible to try to get the best absorption
- You can use facewash (if you want to), just stay away from the treatment type ones
- Body dryness seems to differ a lot. I'm in month 3 and only have dry elbows and slighty (very slightly) dry arms. But some people have to slather themselves head to foot. Maybe wait and see how it goes for that one?

Sounds like you're really prepared - good  luck! :)

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 06/03/2016 11:38 am

I had large breakfasts for most of my course and took my Accutane with that.  You want to strive for a fatty meal because the Accutane will absorb better.  Good luck!  :)

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 06/03/2016 5:26 pm

10 hours ago, AllAboardThe'TaneTrain said:

So I've done plenty of research. I know exactly what it does and how it works and all the science behind it as well as all the possible side effects. I'm a 17 y/o guy btw.
So now my plan is...

- No face washes or topical creams
- Cetaphil moisturiser for any dry skin
- Aquaphor for dry lips
- Always have both with you
- Always have a water bottle with you to stay hydrated
- Finish course unless instructed otherwise
- Dadruff free shampoo
- Eat at least a snack with the tablet

Have I missed anything else?

Also, when people say dry skin does that mean they only get dry skin on their face or is it like full body? Should I get some kind of lotion?

You are much more prepared than I was when I went on it(then again there wasn't a lot of info out there when I did my first dose). I'd like to add two things: 1)get some eye drops. I had VERY dry irritated eyes while I was on it. 2) ALWAYS have at least $2 on you. You WILL forget your Chapstick/aquaphor at least once so when you do, you will want to have money on you to buy another one, because trust me you don't want to go without it for even a few hours. As far as dryness goes, I only experienced extreme dryness on my face. However, everyone is different so it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a travel-sized lotion on you. Other than that you sound ready, good luck!

MemberMember
(@allaboardthetanetrain)

Posted : 06/05/2016 6:29 am

When you say ''severe dryness''I'm not sure how severe we're talking... when I hear it I always imagine, red, sun-burnt-looking, tight,cracked, flakey skin; like really painful. I accidently got this on part of my neck when I used waaaaay too much Benzyoline Peroxide and it was awful - is this what people mean when they say severe dryness or does it just mean skin that's drier than normal? Because I've had that for the past couple of months due to SA and BP treatment so I've always had to use moisturiser every time I shower etc

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 06/06/2016 3:13 am

Well, I was on a very high dose for a long period of time because my acne was very severe so my experience may be different than yours. But in my experience, my skin was always cracked and it bled, a lot. My lips on both sides also ripped to my mid cheeks(severe angular cheilitis). There were many occasions that literal chunks of my skin fell off. I'm not trying to scare you, but that was my experience and I think it's important to be informed(Iwish I had a community like this when I went on it to get advice from because like I said, I wasn't fully informed onsome of the potential side effects at the time).Having said that, I have never regretted going on Accutane. If you are going on a low-medium strength dose then I'm sure your symptoms will be less severe than mine were. Keep in mind if you are prepared and it sounds like you are, you'll be just fine. Ifyou have any more questions feel free to ask me.

20 hours ago, AllAboardThe'TaneTrain said:

When you say ''severe dryness''I'm not sure how severe we're talking... when I hear it I always imagine, red, sun-burnt-looking, tight,cracked, flakey skin; like really painful. I accidently got this on part of my neck when I used waaaaay too much Benzyoline Peroxide and it was awful - is this what people mean when they say severe dryness or does it just mean skin that's drier than normal? Because I've had that for the past couple of months due to SA and BP treatment so I've always had to use moisturiser every time I shower etc

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/08/2016 9:12 am

On June 5, 2016 at 7:29 AM, AllAboardThe'TaneTrain said:

When my boyfriend was on it, his lips literally looked like they were falling apart or like a dog was chewing on them. And he got nosebleeds so keep tissues and maybe a Tide pen to remove stains. Maybe some fiber supplements or prune juice for constipation.

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 06/10/2016 12:22 pm

You are going to want to also get Dr. Dans Cortibalm -- you will NEED this. You can wear it underneath the Aquaphor, but I personally like Vaniply ointment much more than Aquaphor. Similar in texture, just healthier ingredients! I have a accutane log that a started if you search for "pre accutane" :)  My lips haven't split or chapped since I wear the cortibalm and ointment on top 24/7. I can still wear lipstick on top if I want! And I am 4 months into my course.