Notifications
Clear all

Triphasic or monophasic birth control pills for acne??

MemberMember
(@cn209)

Posted : 06/02/2016 8:17 pm

Since starting birth control two years ago, I've gone from clear skin to constantly breaking out only on my forehead and chin. I was first on Lutera then Alesse and since around 6 months ago I've been on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and it's definitely helped in clearing my acne up. Week 1 and 2 of the pills my skin is pretty much clear up until I start the third week of pills. During week 3 I start breaking out again on my forehead/chin and then once my period starts during the placebo week my break outs start to clear up. This happens every month and although my acne is a lot better than what it was when I was taking the other birth control pills, it feels really discouraging seeing how my skin isn't how it use to be before I started birth control.

I'm wondering if my breakouts during week 3 will stop if I switch to a monophonic pills like Ortho Cyclen or if I should stay on a triphasic pill but switch to a pill with a higher dose of estrogen like Ortho Tri Cyclen??

MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 06/03/2016 10:49 am

Well, triphasic pills usually make acne worse in women who already have this problem because your hormones fluctuate more. I would suggest you to try Ortho Cyclen or Yasmin, since the pills have the same dosage of estrogen and progesterone.