Notifications
Clear all

15 Years of Acne

MemberMember
(@lexiebee)

Posted : 06/01/2016 5:08 pm

I am a woman turning 27 in a few weeks. My face has been covered in acne since I was 12.

I have not had clear skin for 15 years and it is causing me severe depression.

I have struggled with everything from mild to severe acne, cysts, whiteheads, and pigmentation on almost every part of my face. As a teen, my acne was primarily in my t-zone, accompanied with oily skin. As an adult, it has migrated to my jaw with occasional cystson my forehead. The oil has dissipated.

HISTORY OF TREATMENTS

Topicals
Clean & Clear products
Arbonne Acne Cleanser
Proactiv
Triaz wash
Epiduo
Retin-a
Skin Salvation cleanser, toner, moisturizer (currently using)
More dermatologist topicals that I can't remember

Prescriptions
Antibiotics (various)
Mononessa (birth control pill)
Ortho-evra (birth control patch, current)

Diets
Omnivore diet (20 years)
Vegan (1 year)
Vegetarian (6 years, current)
No peanuts
No sushi
Green smoothies for breakfast
Gluten free

Habits
Washing twice a day
New pillow cases every night
Washing pillows every month
Exfoliation
No exfoliation
Facials
Steaming
Icing
Meditation
Yoga
Exercise

Supplements
Omega 3-6-9
Zyflammend
Turmeric
Milk thistle
Burdock
Zinc
Krill oil
Vitamin D
Calcium
Magnesium
Selenium
DIM
Saw Palmetto
Vitamin B
Vitamin C
Burdock root
Vitamin A
Vitex Berry

NOTHING works.Birth control reduced it slightly (from severe to moderate) but that's the only success I've had.

I have tried prescriptions, diet, exercise, lifestlye changes, but NOTHING works. I do not want acne anymore. I am at my wit's end; what could be causing this? Does anyone have a similar story that they escaped from?

I feel so alone. Every treatment has tons of people talking about how it cured their acne, but mine never goes away.

I would appreciate any insight into what has worked for you, or, if you're like me: incurable.

MemberMember
(@scarface6556)

Posted : 06/01/2016 7:26 pm

show pics please

MemberMember
(@cushy)

Posted : 06/02/2016 9:18 am

I feel your pain. I'm 46 and still suffering from acne, but for the past few years it's just persistent on my chin and jawline and neck. My list of meds etc is as long as yours but I've also been on the mother of all acne drugs, Roacccutane. I spent a year on it with hideous side effects, it didn't work. I haven't tried birth control pills, I've asked recently but was refused, possibly due to my age or the fact that it's free! I've just learned on this site about the comedogenic properties of toothpaste though, the ingredient sodium laurel sulphate to be precise, so I'm changing mine today to a natural one that doesn't contain it.

MemberMember
(@lexiebee)

Posted : 06/02/2016 4:10 pm

6 hours ago, cushy said:

I feel your pain. I'm 46 and still suffering from acne, but for the past few years it's just persistent on my chin and jawline and neck. My list of meds etc is as long as yours but I've also been on the mother of all acne drugs, Roacccutane. I spent a year on it with hideous side effects, it didn't work. I haven't tried birth control pills, I've asked recently but was refused, possibly due to my age or the fact that it's free! I've just learned on this site about the comedogenic properties of toothpaste though, the ingredient sodium laurel sulphate to be precise, so I'm changing mine today to a natural one that doesn't contain it.

That makes sense! I'll try the toothpaste.

I am too scared to do accutane, especially since I don't think it will cure the "root" of my problem which seems like it's some internal problem. Accutane just drys out your skin, right? I feel that it would last for a few years and then come back.

MemberMember
(@ressnerreznik)

Posted : 06/02/2016 4:20 pm

I'm not even twenty yet but I feel like I can kinda understand you because I've been dealing with cystic acne since I was twelve. It's also very hard for me because I look at the rest of people and I see they have clear (or almost clear) faces and I wonder why can't I have that too.

MemberMember
(@banban)

Posted : 06/03/2016 1:31 am

Im on tretinoin atm with good results. But if this doesnt work i was thinking of trying spironolactone. Have you tried spiro? Maybe it will help your hormones.  I tried accutane too it doesnt work as it came back for me  :(

MemberMember
(@dpinkie)

Posted : 06/03/2016 2:09 am

I am so very sorry you are dealing with this. I hope it helps to know that you are not alone. I am 48 and have been battling acne for over 25 years... I feel that I have tried everything with little to no success. Acne and wrinkles should not be on the same face, and I've now developed a raging case of eczema. I literally sat and just cried looking at how ugly the skin on my face is tonight. It causes me depression and anxiety and I just want it gone!

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/03/2016 4:54 pm

Hi I've had acne for 20 years since I was 12. It was mostly mild but it recently turned cystic... I definitely have hormone issues( PCOS) and possible post tubal ligation syndrome. I found yaz or yasmine kept me pretty clear in the past
have you tried spironolactone? Its usually good for hormonal acne in females. I just started taking 50mg and a low dose doxycycline.
Some natural things maybe to try that you didn't list are
Cod liver oil
Evening primrose oil
Spearmint ( tea or capsules, 2-3 cups/ tablets per day).
I'm sorry you're going through this shit what most people take for
granted, (clear skin) we struggle and it eludes us.

I believe this kind of acne is caused by hormones+ inflammation. If you attack both that's the most successful way to treat it. I like turmeric / milk/ honey masks and green tea and I avoid too much sugar and dairy. I like Sea Buckthorn oil serum SIBU or niacinamide for topicals.
Theres a user named CVD who has interesting posts on resistant hormonal acne look up her profile. She's had it into her 60s...!
I on't recommend accutane especially cause it will likely harm you AND acne often comes back. My boyfriend was suicidal after one month.

I hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@pvt-jackson)

Posted : 06/05/2016 8:17 am

Benzoyl peroxide for 2 weeks

MemberMember
(@bentley-boo)

Posted : 06/05/2016 10:57 am

Have you had a period of time without any birth control and dairy to see if your skin clears? I am 32 and just started Roaccutane as nothing helped.