Notifications
Clear all

Few questions new on accutane

MemberMember
(@kategroxx)

Posted : 05/25/2016 4:35 pm

Hey guys, 
Hope you don't mind me posting this, I'm new to the site but i think its really good!!

i had my first derm appointment on saturday at the hospital and my consultant said that accutane would be the best course of treatment for me (ive been on tetras and various other things since i was around 9 years old so this was my last chance of something that might work so i thought id go for it). I had my bloods on monday and took my first accutane on tuesday lunch! im pretty excited but people say the side effects can be terrible | i have dry lips already but oh well, I'm sure it will be worth it!! 
just wondering what you guys think, i'm going away in june and july to Spain, will i be ok with a good factor 30 and a factor 50 on my shoulders and down my nose (basically 50 on the areas that are more prone to burn, if you get me) 
also how are people with alcohol, i spoke to my pharmacist who said as long "as you do it in moderation you'll be ok" |Can any one recommend any face creams/washes, i live in the uk!
has anyone else got any good tips? or needed advice! 

really appreciate you reading this!!
I've also included some pics of my skin, sorry if they aren't too pleasant |

Mary-Kate 

FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender[1].jpgFullSizeRender[2].jpgFullSizeRender[3].jpgIMG_3083.JPGIMG_3099.PNGIMG_3279.JPGIMG_3521.JPG

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 05/28/2016 6:18 pm

Hiya,

I'd forget the factor 30 tbh! Factor 50 (or higher!) all the way. I'm in month 3 and just got back from a week in Spain - I used factor 50 the whole time and reapplied very often, and just about avoided burning (I'm usually a factor 15 gal and tan easily so take from that what you will).
I purchased the hydrating facewash and PM moisturiser from Cerave (on amazon) along with some jojoba oil. I've also been using Eucerin stuff and its all been good.
Alcohol: I think the risk is not so much at the time or the day after, it's that with the accutane already making your liver work really hard, adding alcohol could do damage there that you might not know about until later on. That's my understanding anyway.... but you will see loads of people on here who have got royally wasted and claimed to be fine, so I think that one is more personal decision!
Tip from a recent flyer - my nose dried out horribly and painfully on the flights! I'd recommend looking into some kind of nasal spray situation if your flight is more than a couple of hours.

MemberMember
(@kategroxx)

Posted : 05/29/2016 5:28 pm

Hey thanks I really appreciate that reply, your advice has really helped me, it's only been nearly a week but already my skin looks amazing!! I'm so happy! Thank you again x

WittySock liked
MemberMember
(@alicia1985)

Posted : 05/30/2016 2:56 am

My dermatologist told me to use SPF 50 At the least. Also, be sure to bring something for your lips as they are going to get even dryer very quickly. It's gonna be worth it though! I'm about to start my last month of this drug!

WittySock liked
MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 05/30/2016 8:36 am

5 hours ago, Alicia1985 said:

Also, be sure to bring something for your lips

Yes, good reminder! I found a factor 50 lip balm in Boots from Uvistat. I didn't find it as moisturising as my normal one but I wanted the spf, so I ended up layering them. There may be better ones out there, that was just the only high spf one I saw in Boots and I was being lazy :)