Notifications
Clear all

Manuka honey/Manuka tree oil/Green tea extract and its effects on P. acnes

MemberMember
(@thetruth8)

Posted : 05/24/2016 2:34 am

Hey guys,

I was researching online about the effects of manuka honey on acne and I found an interesting paper that looked at the effect of Manuka honey in combination with manuka tree oil(MTO) and green tea extract(GTE) on P. acne.

In this paper http://mro.massey.ac.nz/handle/10179/2997 they found that honey-based creams containing MTO and GTE exhibited strong activities against the growth of P. acne in vitro.

The results:

Five bioactives (Manuka tree oil, lavender essential oil, green tea extract, olive leavesextracts and propolis) were screened using a combination of methods. All the bioactives demonstrated antibacterial activity against the growth of P. acnes and only green tea extract and Manuka tree oil had bactericidal ability to kill the bacterium (Figure 4.47). The killing rate of GTE was greater than MTO. When GTE was combined with honey, and MTO was combined with honey, the killing effects against P. acnes were higher than the bioactives used singly. The antibacterial activity of formulated creams containing honey, MTO and GTE were studied separately and in combination. The creams containing 10 % honey demonstrated bacteriostatic ability. Creams containing MTO (0.125 - 0.5 %) and GTE (0.125 1 %) exhibited bactericidal ability against P. acnes and the cell counts decreased rapidly. Cream containing 10 % honey and 1 % GTE caused approximately 5 log reductions in cell numbers; cream containing 10 % honey and 0.125 % MTO caused about 2 log reductions in cell numbers. No bacterial cells were detected at 10-2 dilutionwere found in the cream containing honey (10 %), MTO (0.125 %) and GTE (1 %). It is therefore evident that the honey containing both MTO and GTE had the most bactericidal ability against P. acnes.

Has anyone read this before? I haven't seen anyone talk about this paper before. What do you guys think?

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 05/24/2016 7:45 am

I'm not really sure about MTO. I've heard about GTE before and of course Manuka honey. I use manuka honey as a mask weekly and it really helps calm down any redness and irritation on my skin. It also makes my skin feels nourished and soft while minimizing big spots.

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 06/26/2016 11:15 pm

I don't think there is any doubt that these types of actives are bacteriostatic or sometimes bacteriocidal in vitro but how effective they are in a clinical setting is less certain.
Kanuka honey (closely related tree species to Manuka) recently showed little benefit for acne in a published study http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/2/e009448.full
Still great if you were one of the 8% of participants with some improvement in acne but like most topical treatment options itdoesn't work for everyone.