Clear all

Accutane and dry eyes

MemberMember
(@zachie)

Posted : 05/20/2016 5:52 pm

Y

Just now, Zachie said:

AYxx

I have read about Accutane causing severe dry eyes one year later and I'm really upset. There was a posting that sounds just like me ! Took Accutane age 26 for big cysts in forehead. At age 27 started having dry eyes w contacts by age 29 I could barely open my eyes now I'm 57 have had all for tear ducts cauterize do. Was diagnosed w severe Sjogrens age 47!$. Do people think the accurate caused or made my case worse ?
zachie

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 05/20/2016 10:14 pm

4 hours ago, Zachie said:

Y

I have read about Accutane causing severe dry eyes one year later and I'm really upset. There was a posting that sounds just like me ! Took Accutane age 26 for big cysts in forehead. At age 27 started having dry eyes w contacts by age 29 I could barely open my eyes now I'm 57 have had all for tear ducts cauterize do. Was diagnosed w severe Sjogrens age 47!$. Do people think the accurate caused or made my case worse ?
zachie

Yes, I am not sure 30yrs ago what the side effects were listed. However, over the years it is documented that Accutane can cause eye problems. Many suffers experience sjorgren's symptoms or have been dx with sjorgren's.

MemberMember
(@jpop)

Posted : 05/31/2016 11:19 am

On 21 May 2016 at 4:14 AM, oli girl said:
On 20 May 2016 at 11:52 PM, Zachie said:

Y

zachie

Yes, I am not sure 30yrs ago what the side effects were listed. However, over the years it is documented that Accutane can cause eye problems. Many suffers experience sjorgren's symptoms or have been dx with sjorgren's.

I wish wish wish my dermatologist had told me there was a very real possibility I would get chronic dry eyes and other osteoarthritic symptoms. I remember asking her if any of her Patients had experienced chronic long term effects after reading horror stories like this and she said no- just drier skin which was welcomed by the patient.

and for what? A few less cystic nodules on my chest. Insanity. My advice to anyone contemplating taking this drug- any risk of the side effects listed for accutane, however remote, is too much of a risk. Acne is an inflammatory skin condition but it is not a systemic chronic progressive illness, and very rarely (aside from the psychological impact) is it debilitating. The biochemistry of the body is extremely complex and finely tuned. Toxic overdoses of vitamin A may "normalise" your oil production (by normalise I mean atrophy your oil glands which is hardly a good thing), but at what other cost? Be very certain that side effects can happen years later. Simply not worth the risk in all
But the most severe (even then I'd caution against it) cases of acne.

MemberMember
(@monkey678)

Posted : 06/05/2016 5:00 pm

It definitely could have aggravated your eyes. Accutane gave me chronic dry eye syndrome. I used restasis and that did nothing, so I have my tear ducts plugged which helps but they're still quite dry. Eye drops barely help but I have special ones with no preservatives that I use a lot anyway. My eyes became dry a couple months into my treatment and it has been two years since I've been off of accutane and I still have dry eyes. To make things worse, my acne came back to some degree after the treatment. Sorry you're experiencing this.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 06/05/2016 9:47 pm

To all those with dry eyes from Accutane....Unless you have inflammation restasis will not work!!!!! Though they claim for chronic dry eye, it is for those with inflammation and autoimmune disorders and it shouldn't be used in consistent  long term use.

if you need some help on the dry eye issue pm me :)