Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's been 8 years since my 2nd course of Accutane and I likely have forgotten some of the most important tips to make the process safe and least likely to generate bad side effects.  Please let me know what I am missing from my list below and correct things as needed:

• Do not take a multi-vitamin that has vitamin A in it; but are other vitamins (zinc, D3, B5, etc ok to take while on Accutane?)
  • Are there any foods that should be avoided while on Accutane?  I think I recall that it mentioned to avoid foods that are naturally high in vitamin A such as carrots.
  • Is it ok to continue my topical treatment regimen (basically the acne.org regimen but with products purchased OTC in local pharmacies) in the initial weeks to month after starting Accutane?
    • I am fairly certain that in both previous courses I had an initial breakout that occurred about 2-3 weeks after starting and it lasted for a few weeks: should I try to use OTC products (like my current topical regimen) to try to control these breakouts until the Accutane starts really working and clearing the skin?
  • I recall using chapstick for the excessively dry lips and the previous 2 courses were during the winter to early spring months when dry skin and lips were already likely to be worse.  This course will be over the summer here.  Is there anything better I should look into for dry lips if they bother me more than before?
  • Is it ok to do summer activities such as hiking, bike riding along the beach, etc. while on Acctuane?  I will make sure to use an SPF 50 or higher sunblock and to bring it with me to reapply as needed

That is all I can think of for now.  I will be starting the course as soon as my initial blood test results get to the Derm.