Notifications
Clear all

Will antibiotics for a week(for Hpylori) destroy my gut and bring back my acne?

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 05/16/2016 1:35 am

Hey everyone,

I've been a very old member (check my old posts if interested) andi've been suffering from acne (pustules mostly) since I was 13 (I'm 24 now) and got onto antibiotics for 2 years from (2012-2014). The antibiotics I used were doxycycline and minocycline and worked amazingly well but I became resistant to them. Eventually I stopped using antibiotics as I was getting worried about the impact it has on your gut. After I got off the antibiotics, I realized my acne was completely food related and sugary food including fruits would make my acne horrible. So I stopped eating sugar, and my skin cleared up.

I've been almost 90% clear for the past 2 years and my acne only flares up if i eat something sweet, so I've felt like I'm pretty much in control of my acne and decided to never go back on antibiotics as whenever I tried getting off them, I'd break out badly.

However, I recently got tested positive for H Pylori and the doctor prescribed me the HPac treatment which includes 2 antibiotics - Amoxicillin (2000mg) and clarithomycin (1000mg) per day for one week.

I've been absolutely terrified about using this medications but I've been told this is the best treatment for Hpylori. I just don't want to mess up my gut health again and become allergic to certain type of food or just breakout again horribly once I'm done with this 7 day treatment.

I'm just wondering if I should take any probiotics during this one week to maintain my gut health. Also, will I break out horribly again after stopping these antibiotics? Would this dosage of antibiotics wipe out most of my good bacteria and would I continue breaking out till my gut health is restored? Will I still breakout if I stay away from sugar completely after I am done this one week treatment or does going cold turkey on antibiotics give you acne regardless of what you eat?I just graduated and start my job on June 6th and I really do not want to go in with a horrible face just because i took these meds for a week.

I just took the first dose today and ended up having diarrhea which made me think my good bacteria is being wiped out. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. The treatment also includes lansoprazole which I've never taken and is supposed to lower acid production in stomach. Could that be the reason for my diarrhea, as I've never experienced diarrhea because of antibiotics in the past.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 05/18/2016 1:16 pm

bump

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 05/19/2016 8:46 am

Hi, I doubt it. As long as you take probiotics afterward and maybe yogurt and something anti yeast like coconut oil...I think you'll be fine. Long term anti biotic use is more likely to mess up your gut flora.
FYI, Pepto bismol, DGL and cranberry extract have been known to kill h pylori. Google it. I'd still take the Meds if I were you.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/25/2016 9:52 pm

On 5/16/2016 at 2:35 AM, silverlight22 said:

Hey everyone,

I've been a very old member (check my old posts if interested) andi've been suffering from acne (pustules mostly) since I was 13 (I'm 24 now) and got onto antibiotics for 2 years from (2012-2014). The antibiotics I used were doxycycline and minocycline and worked amazingly well but I became resistant to them. Eventually I stopped using antibiotics as I was getting worried about the impact it has on your gut. After I got off the antibiotics, I realized my acne was completely food related and sugary food including fruits would make my acne horrible. So I stopped eating sugar, and my skin cleared up.

I've been almost 90% clear for the past 2 years and my acne only flares up if i eat something sweet, so I've felt like I'm pretty much in control of my acne and decided to never go back on antibiotics as whenever I tried getting off them, I'd break out badly.

However, I recently got tested positive for H Pylori and the doctor prescribed me the HPac treatment which includes 2 antibiotics - Amoxicillin (2000mg) and clarithomycin (1000mg) per day for one week.

I've been absolutely terrified about using this medications but I've been told this is the best treatment for Hpylori. I just don't want to mess up my gut health again and become allergic to certain type of food or just breakout again horribly once I'm done with this 7 day treatment.

I'm just wondering if I should take any probiotics during this one week to maintain my gut health. Also, will I break out horribly again after stopping these antibiotics? Would this dosage of antibiotics wipe out most of my good bacteria and would I continue breaking out till my gut health is restored? Will I still breakout if I stay away from sugar completely after I am done this one week treatment or does going cold turkey on antibiotics give you acne regardless of what you eat?I just graduated and start my job on June 6th and I really do not want to go in with a horrible face just because i took these meds for a week.

I just took the first dose today and ended up having diarrhea which made me think my good bacteria is being wiped out. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. The treatment also includes lansoprazole which I've never taken and is supposed to lower acid production in stomach. Could that be the reason for my diarrhea, as I've never experienced diarrhea because of antibiotics in the past.

Thanks!

Hey, apologies for the late response, I 'm super busy with work so I don't come on here as often as I used to.

How did it go with the antibiotics?

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 08/21/2016 8:11 pm

Would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 08/21/2016 8:50 pm

On 25/06/2016 at 10:52 PM, WishClean said:

Hey, apologies for the late response, I 'm super busy with work so I don't come on here as often as I used to.

How did it go with the antibiotics?

No worries about the late response. Well, i stopped antibiotics on 24th of May (had to go cold turkey). I was pretty clear over the past 2 months (couple of spots here and there) but 2 weeks ago I broke out pretty bad ! I haven't broken out like this in 2 years, which was the last time I took antibiotics. For 2 years, I have been able to stay pretty much 90-99% clear by controlling my diet (staying away from sugar mainly) but this time around nothing seems to be working.

It's like my skin decided to purge on its own 7 weeks after i stopped antibiotics. I really hope my this is just my skin purging and nothing permanent. I had somehow managed to control my acne completely for the past 2 years and not being able to do so right now (even by staying away from sugar) is heartbreaking.

I had been on antibiotics (doxy and mino) for acne from 2012 to 2014 and finally quit. After that i swore never to go back on them for acne. Well, I was forced to go for it because of H pylori and now I have to face the consequences.

I remember the last time I quit antibiotics temporarily and went cold turkey was in Dec 2012. I broke out really bad after a month and it took almost 3 weeks to clear up including more antibiotics. I really hope I don't have to take antibiotics again to clear up this purge because this just seems to be an endless cycle!               

Do you think this will last much longer? It's around my mouth and nose (always been there). Are there any tips that might make my situation better? Is it actually a purging cycle that I'm going through after which my skin will go back to being how it was before I took these god damn antibiotics? I just want to get back to the point where I was able to control my acne by controlling my diet. :(

Would really appreciate any feed back. Thanks!            

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 08/25/2016 1:09 am

Antibiotics are quickly becoming useless for H. Pylori and proton pump inhibitors (also most commonly prescribed by mainstream doctors) are completely backwards logic as they decrease stomach acid even further (which is what H. Pylori is already doing).

I killed my infection 7 months ago and healed the resulting ulcers in about two weekswith three natural products: organic apple cider vinegar, mastic gum, and matula tea. I then used L-glutamine to rebuild my stomach lining and continued taking the ACV before every meal to increase stomach acid (for a month). I now just take one 650mg Betaine HCL with Pepsin a day (on an empty stomach) to keep my stomach acid levels up along with a maintenance supplemental dose of L-glutamine (also on an empty stomach).

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 08/28/2016 2:35 am

On 25/08/2016 at 2:09 AM, SkinDeeply said:

Antibiotics are quickly becoming useless for H. Pylori and proton pump inhibitors (also most commonly prescribed by mainstream doctors) are completely backwards logic as they decrease stomach acid even further (which is what H. Pylori is already doing).

I killed my infection 7 months ago and healed the resulting ulcers in about two weekswith three natural products: organic apple cider vinegar, mastic gum, and matula tea. I then used L-glutamine to rebuild my stomach lining and continued taking the ACV before every meal to increase stomach acid (for a month). I now just take one 650mg Betaine HCL with Pepsin a day (on an empty stomach) to keep my stomach acid levels up along with a maintenance supplemental dose of L-glutamine (also on an empty stomach).

Thanks for that. I'll definitely try it out. Did you break out from any of those natural products while you were taking them? Also do you think its a good idea to take HCL for a long period of time? I read somewhere you don't want your stomach to get too dependent on it for acid production

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 08/28/2016 5:15 pm

I did not.

I would also recommend starting off on some S. boulardii + MOS. Start off slow--5 billion a day for a week, and then moving up to 15-20 billion a day for a month. Two more supplements I would add to the mix would be N-acetyl Cysteine to support liver detoxification and stimulate glutathione production (to ease detox die-off symptoms), and a raw, food-sourced B-complex to support your adrenals by keeping your B-6 and methyl B-12 levels up--Garden of Life makes an excellent raw B-complex with real Folate (not folic acid) and added full spectrum digestive enzymes, which will be important for you.

Your body will tell you when it no longer requires the HCL. Apple cider vinegar swallowed before meals will also boost your stomach acid levels to help you digest your food.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/09/2016 11:23 pm

Hey, I didn't see the notification. How is your skin doing now?
The antibiotics probably messed up your gut flora - perhaps try some simple probiotics (start with just acidophilus) and a healthy diet - try the leaky gut diet too, but keep it low histamine just in case.

By the way, I was prescribed antibiotics for a minor infection last year that wouldn't clear up. I refused to take them, and did some research and discovered that garlic supplements work as antibiotics. And guess what, my infection cleared up within a few days, plus my skin looked better. Perhaps you can give garlic a try? I use the allicilin kind.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 10/10/2016 11:05 pm

H Pylori is a serious disease. Listen to your doctor and finish the course. You can improve your gut health later using probiotic rich foods.

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 10/15/2016 6:53 pm

Just an update. It's been 2 months since I got my post antibiotic breakout. It was really bad for the first 3 weeks and then things finally calmed down. Since then, I've had more breakouts around my mouth and chin but not as bad. There are days when I'm clear and other days when I have no control of my acne regardless of what I eat and break out all over my chin and mouth area. There are days when its bad, moderate and some days are good.

My only regret is that I can no longer control my acne to be 100% clear like how I was able to for the past 2 years. I was at a stage where I knew what food breaks me out, could plan out my weekends, eat smartly and even the acne I'd get after eating unhealthy food would go away in 2 days. This was all after I had stopped taking minocycline in July 2014 and rebuilt my gut health just by giving my body time to heal and slowly introducing small amounts of sugar.

RIght after I took anbx for H pylori for a week this May, I think I destroyed my gut flora and now I'm back to square one. All my hard work over the past 2 years is gone. Maybe I should stop consuming sugar all over again. My only source of sugar these days is tea anyways. Back when I let my gut heal itself in 2014, I was only getting sugar from tea but would have it every other day and within 2 months increased it to daily consumption and slowly started adding snacks (croissant/bagel) in another month or so. By January this year, I could easily eat chocolates and barely break out. All of this happened over a period of two years.

I'm not sure how to go about healing my gut now. People offer different suggestions such as "try L glutamine" or "eat lots of bone broth/probiotics". I am scared of trying new things because I don't want to make my acne worse because I work now. It is kinda bad already. I eat yogurt daily these days. I have been thinking about taking two weeks off and eating all probiotics/bone broth/manuka honey and whatever to maybe boost my gut healing speed. Tbh, I don't even know if it will go back to being how it was the last time.

Anyone who has gone through something similar or has any valuable advice, feel free to reply to this post.

MemberMember
(@kashmoney123)

Posted : 10/20/2017 9:35 am

On 10/15/2016 at 7:53 PM, silverlight22 said:

Just an update. It's been 2 months since I got my post antibiotic breakout. It was really bad for the first 3 weeks and then things finally calmed down. Since then, I've had more breakouts around my mouth and chin but not as bad. There are days when I'm clear and other days when I have no control of my acne regardless of what I eat and break out all over my chin and mouth area. There are days when its bad, moderate and some days are good.

My only regret is that I can no longer control my acne to be 100% clear like how I was able to for the past 2 years. I was at a stage where I knew what food breaks me out, could plan out my weekends, eat smartly and even the acne I'd get after eating unhealthy food would go away in 2 days. This was all after I had stopped taking minocycline in July 2014 and rebuilt my gut health just by giving my body time to heal and slowly introducing small amounts of sugar.

RIght after I took anbx for H pylori for a week this May, I think I destroyed my gut flora and now I'm back to square one. All my hard work over the past 2 years is gone. Maybe I should stop consuming sugar all over again. My only source of sugar these days is tea anyways. Back when I let my gut heal itself in 2014, I was only getting sugar from tea but would have it every other day and within 2 months increased it to daily consumption and slowly started adding snacks (croissant/bagel) in another month or so. By January this year, I could easily eat chocolates and barely break out. All of this happened over a period of two years.

I'm not sure how to go about healing my gut now. People offer different suggestions such as "try L glutamine" or "eat lots of bone broth/probiotics". I am scared of trying new things because I don't want to make my acne worse because I work now. It is kinda bad already. I eat yogurt daily these days. I have been thinking about taking two weeks off and eating all probiotics/bone broth/manuka honey and whatever to maybe boost my gut healing speed. Tbh, I don't even know if it will go back to being how it was the last time.

Anyone who has gone through something similar or has any valuable advice, feel free to reply to this post.

How is your acne doing now? Updates?