Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
haleymicah7

are abrasive scrubs and brushes bad?

my acne has been worse than ever the past couple of months. i have used proactiv+ for a couple years now and i bought a facial scrub brush a month ago and and neither of them have helped to clear any acne recently. i also bought some african black soap while on spring break and have used it once in a while and i read an article recently written by kendall jenners dermatologist and she said to not use any abrasive scrubs or brushes so i dont know if i should stop the proactiv and just use the black soap? 

7 hours ago, haleymicah7 said:

my acne has been worse than ever the past couple of months. i have used proactiv+ for a couple years now and i bought a facial scrub brush a month ago and and neither of them have helped to clear any acne recently. i also bought some african black soap while on spring break and have used it once in a while and i read an article recently written by kendall jenners dermatologist and she said to not use any abrasive scrubs or brushes so i dont know if i should stop the proactiv and just use the black soap? 

Proactiv is bad for your skin and so are face brushes. Sorry for being too preachy, but you are doing everything wrong by having this routine.

You need a new one right away. Edited by Alex9945

Of course abrasive scrubs are going to not be good for acne. 

'Abrasive' - scrubbing, grinding, coarse, harsh. You want to be gentle with your skin.  

You can keep the soap, but I'd ditch the scrubs. If you really want to exfoliate, I'd recommend a Konjac sponge. It exfoliates gently and it won't aggravate your acne. 

On 5/16/2016 at 2:49 AM, Chloe123 said:

Ditch the pro-active, face brushes or whatever you read in these magazines. It's all for profit. Yes it will make your acne worse. Get on the regime.

thank you! i stopped the proactiv and brush and it has already been getting better:)
24 minutes ago, MonroeQT said:

You can keep the soap, but I'd ditch the scrubs. If you really want to exfoliate, I'd recommend a Konjac sponge. It exfoliates gently and it won't aggravate your acne. 

thank you! ill try that