Notifications
Clear all

Any birth control recommendations for acne??

MemberMember
(@elizabethsara14)

Posted : 05/10/2016 11:52 pm

So I was on Zarah (generic of Yasmin) for over 4 months and it gave me horrible acne, like all over my face. I normally only got 2 pimples a month before starting Zarah (which is supposed to be good for acne). Anyway, I couldn't take it anymore and I quit. I've been off it for almost 3 months now and I'm still having horrible, painful acne. It got much better 2-3 weeks after quitting but it hasn't got any better since. I still have several new pimples a day, they're just not as big as they were on the birth control. Every derm I call is a 12-18 month wait. And every topical my doctor has given me has made it worse. I've tried everything you can name and nothing makes it better. I don't understand why it's not going back to normal.
So I'm thinking of trying another birth control because obviously my hormones are messed up even though I've had 2 normal periods since quitting my acne isn't better. Any recommendations? Has anyone had problems with Zarah but had luck with others?? Anything would be helpful, I'm really depressed about this.

MemberMember
(@jennifer-cheung)

Posted : 05/14/2016 11:17 am

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/330166-good-bad-birth-control-pills-and-implants-for-acne/

hey check this post out!! It is very informative and helped me a lot when I was struggling over which brand of BC pills to choose. 

I think it would be hard for anyone to give you recommendation because everyone reacts differently to different brand of pills and you can't tell for sure until you have really tried and waited it out. 

But I have heard people say that the generic of the Yasmin / Yaz broke them out but the actual Yasmin / Yaz are fine for them. As for me I am using Yaz for a few months and I am still having acne issue so I can't recommend you to try it. Plus it has less dosage of estrogen than Yasmin so it probably would not be good for you either. 

Hope it helps :):)