Notifications
Clear all

Sharing my solution

MemberMember
(@justalittlelonger)

Posted : 05/10/2016 11:05 pm

I've justbeen reading everyone's stories and I understand all of it. Acne is a horrible, soul shattering thing to go through. For me it started in my teens and got worse in my adult years. Pimples would come and go on an almost daily basis made worse by pms. My doctor told me to just wash my face when I was in my teens so I didn't think I was going to get any help from doctors or dermatologists. Nothing I tried really helped and I can't use BP because it's way too harsh. My skin is very rebellious even just a change in brands of gentle cleanser can be irritating.

This past March I stumbled almost by accident on what's been a big help for me. My mom had found these little samples of turmeric cream and out of pure frustration I smeared it on one of those deep cysts (they get insanely itchy for me). It felt so great so I started googling. It turns out turmeric has been used for hundreds of years in India to treat various skin problems including acne and rosacea.

I went trying to find the cream from the samples I tried but no luck so I ordered a different brand. It's called Vicco Turmeric Skin Cream and it's been a god send for me. My skin is no longer so irritable, I must have had a lot of congestion because I notice my cheekbones and jawline are more defined. I'm seeing less and less itchy cysts and pimples in general. Over all my skin's tone and texture has improved as well. It's so soft and smooth! It's supposed to make the most difference over time so I can't wait to see what happens over the coming months.

This is what I've been doing.
Wash twice a day with St. Ives Green Tea Cleanser
Apply Vicco Turmeric Skin Cream twice a day after cleansing
Use St. Ives Apricot scrub every two weeks

There's two types of the cream. One with sandal wood oil and one without. I get the sandal wood oil one. It'll work great as an oil controlling moisturizer (a matte face without make up!) so you'll need an extramoisturizer over top if you have dry skin. You might also get a weird but very gentle tightness the first few uses but it'll go away

I really hope this will help someone. I know how infuriating it is trying to find some thing that works. Feel free to ask questions. 🙂

MemberMember
(@justalittlelonger)

Posted : 05/14/2016 10:11 pm

Here's a couple pix taken about a month apart. Most of what you're seeing is scars and those annoying red marks that take weeks to go away. I figured I either started with the Vicco cream in very late March or at the beginning of April but didn't think to document until the 11th. It's still WAY to early for anything dramatic but the stubborn scaring I've had for years does seem maybe a shade lighter. From what I've read and videos I've seen, the cream is suppose supposed to help with scars as well as acne and redness. I did get a small amount of hormonal pimples (less then usual), three cysts and one small itchy patch all of witch are on their way out. My skin feels way less irritable though so now it's just more wait and see.

IMG_9249.JPG

IMG_9250.JPG

MemberMember
(@justalittlelonger)

Posted : 05/21/2016 7:32 pm

So I did something stupid on Wednesday night. I got a bottle of body wash and for what ever reason I used a small amount on my face which because it has a cooling sensation, felt really good. I know better then to use stuff intended for the body on the face (our facial skin has a different PH level then our body). Anyway, I woke up to a minor breakout. Thankfully I put my Vicco cream on after the body wash mistake so I'm positive it helped keep things to a minimum. The pimples and small irritated patches were only pink instead of red. My face feels fine now for the most part. Just a few tricky spots but It shouldn't be much longer for them to heal.

I've started adding facial massage into the equation to hopefully help catch clogged pores before they become pimples and in general to help improve blood circulation in my face. 

I really wish I had known about the benefits of turmeric and sandalwood oil (the active ingredients in the vicco cream) in my twenties when I was really having a hard time with acne. The photos I posted don't show it too well any more, but my cheeks were almost always covered in spots and it really effected me emotionally. I would walk around with my eyes to the ground trying desperately to make my self invisible to passersby at the same time telling my self no guy would ever want to be with someone with a face like this. I know that's not true though. The guy I have now doesn't care in the least if I don't have perfect skin. It's the person on the inside he loves.

Hang in there my fellow acne warriors. It's not an easy fight but it can be done. Never let acne define who you are. You're better then that. :D

MemberMember
(@justalittlelonger)

Posted : 05/29/2016 8:25 pm

So after my skin calmed down after the body wash mistake, I started to get some irritation probably because I had to use a larger amount of cleanser to control the excessive oiliness brought on by the reaction to the body wash. Since the breakout and redness from the body wash is mostly gone, my skin is probably trying to tell me to ease up on the cleanser. The Vicco cream does such a good job so I decided to let it do most of the work on dealing with acne and irritation and only use a tiny pea sized amount of cleanser (the bottle actually says to use a generous amount).

My hope is to get away from anything with salicylic acid - which is in my cleanser - because it's proven problematic for me in the past. Causing a dull irritated look on my face even with moisturizer. Although the St. Ives Green Tea Cleanser is a good one as it's not overly harsh like some I've tired before. Vicco makes a cleanser too so I've ordered some to see if that'll do the trick. Since Vicco products are made and sold in India, it takes a while to reach me here in south western Canada, but my skin has responded to the turmeric cream so well, it's worth the wait.

I would go full caveman if I could but my skin does need something. Less is definitely more when it comes to cleansers though. My face still feels fresh and breathable even though I washed my face hours ago.

Keep up the fight everyone! :D

MemberMember
(@justalittlelonger)

Posted : 06/04/2016 7:29 pm

The cleanser is for sure to strong for my skin now so I started just putting some in water and washing my face with that until the new one gets here. Now I know why my lips were so crazy dry. There was a crack at the corner of my mouth that really hurt when I opened it. I has healed up nicely now.

Since I stopped using the cleanser directly on my face, the cream started to work better then ever and I'm seeing better skin then I've seen in years! I even managed to have a few days of reasonably clear skin! There's one cyst under my left ear and some minor blemishes on my left cheek today though. The weather turned suddenly hot so that might have caused it. Hopefully they'll clear up soon.

My face feels so different now. The surface is almost flower petal soft and internally it's starting to feel healthier and stronger. A huge improvement but still not quite out of the woods yet.

The cream feels like a treat for the skin rather then a treatment if that makes any sense although it is a bit weird when you first start using it. Vicco Turmeric Skin Cream with sandalwood oil is worth a try if you're looking for a new approach. :)

Keep fighting guys! We're in this together. :)

MemberMember
(@justalittlelonger)

Posted : 06/11/2016 11:50 pm

My face is still doing pretty well. The breakout under my left ear is starting to clear up so that's good. I have a (so far) minor hormonal breakout now though. At this point, it much more mild the I would normally get. The pimples are smaller and less red. Fingers crossed it stays minor until the monthly visitor comes and goes, haha.

I've been thinking about some possible causes for my acne. There was a pretty bad mold and water damage problem where I live a few years back. It could have been a problem for a long time before it was discovered too. I had to leave temporarily so they could fix it. My skin did improve a bit after I moved back but I've been using store bought "acne care" products for so long that I think I wrecked my skin's ability to fight infections.

It's weird, these types of products you buy at the store for oily\acne prone skin are too harsh for other skin types. Why should use such harsh stuff on our skin if it's to harsh for say someone with normal skin? It seems like backwards thinking to me. We're trying to get rid of breakouts and heal our skin not make it worse, which in my experience, they seem to do. I'm just babbling now but note to skin care companies: stop putting harsh chemicals in your product lines. They don't give us "healthy, clear skin that glows."

Sigh, international delivery times are such a pain sometimes. I still haven't gotten the Vicco cleanser I ordered.

Vent over. Hang in there guys. :)

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/13/2016 8:24 am

Hi...yeah I never use any wash on my face except specifically made for the face. I read that products with cvcvooling sensations are often irritatu g to the face so be carefull.

MemberMember
(@justalittlelonger)

Posted : 06/18/2016 9:06 pm

On 6/13/2016 at 6:24 AM, snarkygirl said:

Hi...yeah I never use any wash on my face except specifically made for the face. I read that products with cvcvooling sensations are often irritatu g to the face so be carefull.

Hi, I've since stopped using the old cleanser which was specifically for the face. I just picked up my Vicco cleanser at the post office today which is another turmeric based product so it shouldn't be a problem. I tested it on the back of my hand and no negative reaction at all even though there is a cooling sensation. I'll update for sure after I've used it a number of times.

MemberMember
(@justalittlelonger)

Posted : 06/18/2016 9:28 pm

Here are some new pics! There are a few spots and redness in the June pics but they're hormonal and actually a lot less then I would usually get. I had enough of the salicylic acid and bought a bottle of Aloe Vera gel to use while I waited for the new cleanser. The Aloe Vera gel did a good enough job of cleaning my face without irritating it further. I don't wear make up so I have no idea if it would be effective for that. Just have to see how it goes with the Vicco cleanser now.

The angles are a little off but close enough.

SBS-June2016a.JPG

SBS-June2016b.JPG

MemberMember
(@justalittlelonger)

Posted : 06/26/2016 8:55 pm

So here's the new twice a day routine:

1. Massage with Aloe Vera gel then rinse. I did stop using it after I got my new cleanser but I did feel it was helpful for hydrating my skin so I added it in again.
  2. Cleanse with Vicco Turmeric Cream With Foam Base then rinse. This is the new cleanser and it is the most gentle, non drying cleanser I've ever used and I love it! It has a slight cooling sensation without irritation so very refreshing as well. It does have a very light scent but nothing like a regular drugstore brand.
  3. Moisturize with Vicco Turmeric Skin Cream With Sandalwood Oil. 

Most of the irritation and redness from the salicylic acid in the old cleanser is gone and it's only been about a week! Not bad with the acne right now either with no more then 5 pimples. Most of them are on my neck in places I can't see.

Keep up the fight, guys! :)

vicc

MemberMember
(@this-is-my-name)

Posted : 06/27/2016 10:34 pm

Thanks for sharing, I might have to try some of this stuff.

MemberMember
(@justalittlelonger)

Posted : 06/28/2016 4:09 pm

17 hours ago, This is my name said:

Thanks for sharing, I might have to try some of this stuff.

You're very welcome! It's amazing stuff. Let me know how it goes if you do try it. :D

MemberMember
(@this-is-my-name)

Posted : 06/28/2016 8:01 pm

3 hours ago, justalittlelonger said:
You're very welcome! It's amazing stuff. Let me know how it goes if you do try it. :D

For sure! My face gets very oily and I've been looking forever for something to control it

MemberMember
(@justalittlelonger)

Posted : 07/03/2016 7:32 pm

So I've had to eliminate the aloe vera gel I was using because it has it contains alcohol denat (denatured alcohol) which is horrifically bad for your skin. Dermatologist tested? I don't think so. That explains the rashy acne like patch below my ear on the left side of my neck. It was really uncomfortable but thankfully it's almost completely gone now.

Interestingly, I tried mixing powered turmeric in it as an experiment. It completely changed the consistency of the gel to something like liquid tempera paint and It takes quite a lot longer to dry. There's some dyes and fragrance in the gel too and after I mixed the turmeric in, it had the colour and scent of turmeric. The mixture didn't irritate my skin at all so it just shows how powerful turmeric is although I have no idea if it actually killed the harmful ingredients. Just a fascinating observation. :)

Vicco Turmeric products only twice a day now. I have a few new pimples but that might just have been from the alcohol containing gel so my skin probably will need some time to repair any damage from it although I have very little redness. Patience is needed for sure. These updates might start getting boring if this amazing progress keeps up, haha.

I feel so different guys, not only emotionally but physically. I think it's the relief I feel having found something that is helping my face. I still half expect to wake up to a break out and panic at new pimples a little but I just take some deep breathes and remind myself that I've come a long way in a very short amount of time and it helps. Staying positive is crucial too. I've learned that from other experiences in my life. Onward and upward!

Never give up the fight becauseyou justmightfind something that works when you least expect like I did. :D 

MemberMember
(@this-is-my-name)

Posted : 07/23/2016 10:19 pm

I just got some Vicco turmeric cream and I have to say the smell of this stuff is absolutely nauseating! I can TASTE it, and it's like I ate a stick of incense. Not sure how well I'm going to handle this stuff. Although I am really desperate to control my oily skin so I'll try just about anything at this point. However, considering I put this on my nose I just don't know if I can deal with having the taste of incense in my throat every day. How do you handle this stuff? Also, does it really work? This is driving me crazy right now.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/24/2016 8:41 am

10 hours ago, This is my name said:

I just got some Vicco turmeric cream and I have to say the smell of this stuff is absolutely nauseating! I can TASTE it, and it's like I ate a stick of incense. Not sure how well I'm going to handle this stuff. Although I am really desperate to control my oily skin so I'll try just about anything at this point. However, considering I put this on my nose I just don't know if I can deal with having the taste of incense in my throat every day. How do you handle this stuff? Also, does it really work? This is driving me crazy right now.

I freaking hate the smell/ taste of turmeric too but I use it in a mask sometimes. I suggest putting some Vicks vapo rub under your nose or some rose oil.
Funny, I hate most of the spices and stuff that's so good for you...garlic, turmeric, ginger, curry. Bleh.

MemberMember
(@this-is-my-name)

Posted : 07/24/2016 11:46 am

3 hours ago, snarkygirl said:
I freaking hate the smell/ taste of turmeric too but I use it in a mask sometimes. I suggest putting some Vicks vapo rub under your nose or some rose oil.
Funny, I hate most of the spices and stuff that's so good for you...garlic, turmeric, ginger, curry. Bleh.

It's the sandalwood oil that is the culprit. I can't even smell turmeric in it. However, to my dismay my nose was just as oily as usual after an hour and I still had the horrible taste in my mouth. I can't do anything to control my greasy skin. I really don't know what to do. There is no way I can use this stuff every day, the smell is way too strong.  sadface

MemberMember
(@justalittlelonger)

Posted : 07/24/2016 10:43 pm

9 hours ago, This is my name said:
It's the sandalwood oil that is the culprit. I can't even smell turmeric in it. However, to my dismay my nose was just as oily as usual after an hour and I still had the horrible taste in my mouth. I can't do anything to control my greasy skin. I really don't know what to do. There is no way I can use this stuff every day, the smell is way too strong.  sadface

Wow, maybe you're sensitive to certain scents. It was a little crazy when I first started using it. I didn't know what to think myself but I was desperate too. I just wanted the acne gone. I barely smell it now after a number of tubes so I think I developed a tolerance. The Thing is, You don't need much. A pea sized amount is enough to cover my whole face so use it very sparingly if you put it on just your nose. Try putting it on while your skin is still wet which will thin the cream out a bit and the smell will fade faster. I find it's quite rich so I prefer it thinned myself. 

As for does it work. For me, it does. All I deal with now is just minor flare ups. It did take time though. Hang on, I know skin issues are so frustrating.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/25/2016 9:16 am

21 hours ago, This is my name said:

oh I don't like sandalwood either. Lol

MemberMember
(@justalittlelonger)

Posted : 07/25/2016 6:33 pm

On 7/24/2016 at 9:46 AM, This is my name said:

Less is definitely more with this cream. Hopefully you don't feel like you're tasting Buckley's cough syrup. That's the most terrible thing I've ever tasted. The taste was almost like the smell of household ammonia. It does work on tough coughs but yuck! Never again. :) 

For the record Buckley's doesn't have sandalwood oil in it.

How's the climate where you are? Heat and humidity can be horrible for bringing out oiliness in my experience.

MemberMember
(@this-is-my-name)

Posted : 07/28/2016 3:30 pm

On 7/25/2016 at 7:33 PM, justalittlelonger said:
Less is definitely more with this cream. Hopefully you don't feel like you're tasting Buckley's cough syrup. That's the most terrible thing I've ever tasted. The taste was almost like the smell of household ammonia. It does work on tough coughs but yuck! Never again. :) 

For the record Buckley's doesn't have sandalwood oil in it.

How's the climate where you are? Heat and humidity can be horrible for bringing out oiliness in my experience.
Thanks. Yea it is definitely super hot and humid where I live. This summer has been ridiculously hot of course, but it's always humid here. 

MemberMember
(@justalittlelonger)

Posted : 07/29/2016 1:22 am

That must be why you're so oily then. This summer is hot too and It's been one of the more humid one's we've had in a long time. For some reason, my face doesn't really sweat - it oils. I'm really amazed the pimple situation isn't any worse right now.

Try keeping your skin as cool as you can and hopefully the weather will improve for both of us soon. Fingers crossed the cream kicks in and you become less sensitive to the smell. :)

MemberMember
(@justalittlelonger)

Posted : 10/30/2016 2:01 am

I haven't updated this in a while! Mostly because there hasn't been much to report. My face still continues to do well with the Vicco products. I came in here with a likely source of the inflammation that caused my adult acne in the first place. Not a food allergy, which seems to be a common cause of acne, but an allergy toan ingredient in my antiperspirant.

From past experience and my most recent non-acne rash breakout, I've found I have an allergy to aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly (common ingredient in antiperspirant). Touching object made of aluminum doesn't have any effect on me though.

The first time it happened was my worst. I had minor rashes and irritations in my armpits and some on my hips but my lower legs below the knee went absolutely crazy! The rash looked very close to psoriasis butwithout the flakiness. I decided to try a different brand of antiperspirant and eventually the rashes cleared up on their own after a number of months.

I hadn't really thought much about it during the most recent breakout and thought I actually did develop psoriasis. On top of my lower leg rashes (less severe this time), my scalp was itchy and flaky and my ears were insanely dry and crusty. I had very little energy too. I thought of the antiperspirant and have been avoiding it like the plague since this past Wednesday (I'm using aluminum free now). My energy is coming back and my scalp seems to have stopped flaking now. The rashes on my legs seem to be less bumpy too. Some patches felt like they had a cross between acne and goosebumps. Finger crossed it doesn't take as long for things to heal this time.

Definitely avoid anything and everything withaluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly in it because it clogs pores. This explains what it's for: [removed]

If you have ruled out food allergies and you don't use anything with aluminum in the ingredients, See if you can get tested for a metal allergy as it can cause inflammation too. [Edited link out]