Notifications
Clear all

Hormonal acne ruin my life

MemberMember
(@kawaiixlr)

Posted : 05/08/2016 6:04 pm

Hi guys.. I'm wondering if any of you guys have had hormonal acne and somehow found a way to cure it?

I'm 19 now, and my hormonal acne is not getting better. In the past, my acne are usually the ones that are red but with no head. But now my acne are mostly whiteheads.

i wash my face 2x a day, and i use manuka honey as a mask (around 2-3x a week). I also drink primerose oil 3x a day and bio zinc 1x a day. Im also using benzoyl peroxide for my whiteheads.

2 weeks ago i thought my acne is caused because i'm not eating healthy (although i am already eating healthier than normal people). I drink lemon water every morning, i drink LOTS of water. Also, i decided to just stop eating all dairy, gluten, processed food, greasy food (i'm never a fan of greasy food anyways) and sweets. As a result, i lost 2 kg in 3 days. I think after i stopped eating these food my acne got better, for a week. But now i'm a week away from my period, and my acne is getting worse again.

What's worse is that my period cycle's usually 22-24 days. So whenever i feel my acne's getting better then boom, i'm a week away from my period again, and i start getting whiteheads again.

I'm starting to think i'll have acne forever.

MemberMember
(@alex9945)

Posted : 05/09/2016 12:42 am

6 hours ago, Kawaiixlr said:

Hi guys.. I'm wondering if any of you guys have had hormonal acne and somehow found a way to cure it?

I'm 19 now, and my hormonal acne is not getting better. In the past, my acne are usually the ones that are red but with no head. But now my acne are mostly whiteheads.

i wash my face 2x a day, and i use manuka honey as a mask (around 2-3x a week). I also drink primerose oil 3x a day and bio zinc 1x a day. Im also using benzoyl peroxide for my whiteheads.

2 weeks ago i thought my acne is caused because i'm not eating healthy (although i am already eating healthier than normal people). I drink lemon water every morning, i drink LOTS of water. Also, i decided to just stop eating all dairy, gluten, processed food, greasy food (i'm never a fan of greasy food anyways) and sweets. As a result, i lost 2 kg in 3 days. I think after i stopped eating these food my acne got better, for a week. But now i'm a week away from my period, and my acne is getting worse again.

What's worse is that my period cycle's usually 22-24 days. So whenever i feel my acne's getting better then boom, i'm a week away from my period again, and i start getting whiteheads again.

I'm starting to think i'll have acne forever.

When you break out, then try to do lactic acid peels 40%. You can get it on eBay and they are very effective to control the skin. Just remember to use a good moisturizer after the treatment and sunscreen

MemberMember
(@aeg15)

Posted : 05/18/2016 10:13 am

Are you on any medications currently?

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 05/18/2016 12:20 pm

Wow, we're actually very similar. Aside from the primrose oil and bio zinc I do/use basically all of the things you do. BP on my spots, drinking lemon water every morning, wash 2x a day, using a manuka honey mask, etc. I'm 23. I have 2 little sisters, one is 19 and one is 16 - both of their docs put them on the pill to cure there acne and now their skin is flawless. It might not be your cup of tea, but it's always an option. I was trying to go the natural route for awhile but I was just getting annoyed and spending a lot of money. I still use mostly natural skin care though and follow a vegan diet. I just went on the pill a little over a week ago. I've been wanting to go on it for awhile to regulate my irregular periods/help with cramps, even when my skin was clear. Once my skin started breaking out in hormonal acne 6 months ago that was the push I needed to actually go get it. It's too early for me to say anything since it's only been a week and a half, but I can certainly keep you updated.

I had WAY worse acne in high school and took accutane for it because nothing else worked. I was clear for 7 years after that. This acne is different though. I could tell it was hormonal because it was concentrated in completely different parts of my face (along the chin and jawline), whereas in high school it was mainly on my inner cheeks, forehead and the center of my chin. So annoying!

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 05/18/2016 7:04 pm

This is normal. Nearly all women break out before their period. If its mild, dont go on any sort of pill because it will make it worse once you get off. If its bothering you, your best bet is going on birth control. my BIGGEST mistake was trying all these 'cure your hormones naturally' and just waiting until it went away. Now that im on the pill i wish i had of gone on it sooner.

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 05/18/2016 7:17 pm

11 minutes ago, Chloe123 said:

This is normal. Nearly all women break out before their period. If its mild, dont go on any sort of pill because it will make it worse once you get off. If its bothering you, your best bet is going on birth control. my BIGGEST mistake was trying all these 'cure your hormones naturally' and just waiting until it went away. Now that im on the pill i wish i had of gone on it sooner. 

I'm glad to hear this perspective because I was trying those natural hormone remedies too and it either didn't do anything or irritated my skin! How are you doing on the pill, skin-wise and otherwise, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Chloe123 liked
MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 05/18/2016 11:42 pm

4 hours ago, kelbell812 said:
I'm glad to hear this perspective because I was trying those natural hormone remedies too and it either didn't do anything or irritated my skin! How are you doing on the pill, skin-wise and otherwise, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Half way through the third month of Yasmin. I still breakout half way through the pill pack, but I know it takes 6 months to get 'clear.' I would say I'm 60% clearer than before. No side effects so far!

MemberMember
(@ugurl)

Posted : 05/19/2016 6:50 am

Spironolactone is a hormone stabilizer that my derm prescribed after i battled with acne that I believed was hormonal, he agreed and now I take the tablets twice a day. My acne has cleared up considerably. I now have one pimple around my TOTM but other than that I generally have clear skin besides some hyper pigmentation. It's always a good idea to discuss things with your dermatologist, I am also taking doxycycline and apply tretinoin every other day and these are the biggest reasons my skin has cleared up. Spiro might be the answer to your prayers honestly, but like some other commenter's have mentioned, nearly all women get breakouts around that TOTM so you shouldn't be too hard on your self and try to over medicate. Helps to have a professional opinion though :) Good luck!