Notifications
Clear all

I will never sympathize with people who have other dieases

MemberMember
(@koloz)

Posted : 05/04/2016 11:04 am

I will never sympathize with cancer patients or people who have HIV/AIDS or diabetes etc. They get all these charities and donations and support and I get stared at like a freak. After years of anxiety humiliation and bullying nothing will ever change my mind about this. I couldn't care less about them while we get nothing

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 05/04/2016 3:32 pm

Don't you think there is a reason they have all these charities helping them out? Even when us acne sufferers endure humiliation or bullying or strange looks, at the end of the day we are still alive and we are still able to do something about our situations and get in the right mind set to deal. Unfortunately for them time is not always something they have. You may not feel sympathy for them but I bet you that most of them would switch places with you in a heartbeat.

Yola4, IronMotivation, QuanHenry and 10 people liked
MemberMember
(@ichhasseakne)

Posted : 05/04/2016 3:54 pm

Even though severe adult acne and subsequent scarring has made me more empathetic in the past few years, that still only extends to certain conditions. I am empathetic for people with congenital or developed diseases, but not for people whose disease or condition is a result of their bad choices: i.e. lung cancer due mainly to smoking, liver problems due to drinking, etc. I, like many of you here I am sure, don't do those things, eat healthier than most people and yet we still have (or had) adult acne/scarring...

There are foundations and what not even for people with other skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, etc. Acne seems to be the last hold out.

We need to act now if we want to have a chance to change things for future generations... We have to end the talk and start to seriously organize creating a foundation for adult acne sufferers...

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 05/08/2016 6:59 am

That's fine, you're not obligated to feel sympathy for those with other diseases. Truth be told, most people with life-threatening diseases don't want it anyway. I will tell you this though, I used to have VERY severe acne, and I used to think it was the worst condition to have, until I was diagnosed with epilepsy last year. I would trade that for acne in a heartbeat. At least I would be able to work, go to school and feel "normal" again. But, like I said, I don't want anyone's sympathy. It's sometimes hard to empathizewith someone until you've been in their shoes, in this case, I've worn both.

Yola4, jwalk, DeLovely and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@azstl25)

Posted : 05/08/2016 5:00 pm

We should get reparations to help pay for acne or scarring treatments.

MemberMember
(@rust)

Posted : 05/14/2016 7:36 am

Unless you had suffered with acne, you can never truly understand the emotional effects it can have on a person. Dealing with it should give you empathy for all of those people out there that have their own battle to fight, no matter what it may be. This can only make you a better person.

MemberMember
(@marbleartist)

Posted : 05/22/2016 7:31 pm

Acne is actually quite a prevalent issue and it is often talked about. Other skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema and seborrheic dermatitis always take a backseat to acne.

I have had acne for a while now, past four years, and I never thought it could get worse when I developed seborrheic dermatitis. You think pimples are bad? Wait until you have an entire face covered in inflamed, flaking skin that falls off. It hurts way more, it is way more unsightly, and it is something people do not understand as well.

Especially considering I am in the military, it makes it all the worse. And I am not trying to belittle your issues, but to eschew your point of view. I have both dermatitis and acne right now, and it is a horrible combination. I do not even feel human some days.

MemberMember
(@ae1976)

Posted : 05/23/2016 6:42 am

I hear what you are saying and when my acne was at it's worst I used to say and feel the same. Acne makes your mental state real BAD. Acne is a really debilitating condition that causes real mental anguish, which btw non acne sufferers will never understand. however I am sure people with cancer etc will exchange cancer for acne without a second thought. If you have been bullied because of acne, I really feel for you.

MemberMember
(@scarredandsad34)

Posted : 05/24/2016 12:14 am

On May 4, 2016 at 9:04 AM, Koloz said:

I will never sympathize with cancer patients or people who have HIV/AIDS or diabetes etc. They get all these charities and donations and support and I get stared at like a freak. After years of anxiety humiliation and bullying nothing will ever change my mind about this. I couldn't care less about them while we get nothing

I sympathize with other people who suffer, because suffering is suffering. But you are right, permanent facial disfigurement gets zero support in this so called great society. It is total bullshit. The mentall illness and distress that it causes should be enough to warrant a person a lifetime of disability assistance. But no, we will suffer alone with this and be the constant target of discrimination and abuse. At least cancer and other diseases have hope for a cure or remission. But there is no hope for permanent scarring. It is a lifelong illness/disease. If you have acne but no scarring, maybe you have a glimmer of hope. If you have bad permanent scarring, my heart goes out to you.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 05/24/2016 11:12 am

That's a shitty attitude. Any kind ofsuffering is valid and deserves sympathy. As much as I despise acne I'm glad I don't have AIDS or Lou Gehrig's disease or something even worse. Start a charity for acne...I'd donate.

On 5/4/2016 at 4:32 PM, nicmic62 said:

Don't you think there is a reason they have all these charities helping them out? Even when us acne sufferers endure humiliation or bullying or strange looks, at the end of the day we are still alive and we are still able to do something about our situations and get in the right mind set to deal. Unfortunately for them time is not always something they have. You may not feel sympathy for them but I bet you that most of them would switch places with you in a heartbeat.

i think the OP is feeling bitter. I get it but I'd rather have acne than AIDS or cancer anyday.

Yola4 and QuanHenry liked
MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 07/28/2016 12:31 am

You wouldnt be saying this if someone you love died from an incurable disease.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 07/28/2016 9:06 am

I have untreatable mental disorders which includes psychotic vulnerability. I would trade that with cancer. My life hasn't been very fun for the longest time and I have to live like that for the rest of my life. I am an atheist, but I believe hell exists. It's right here, this planet. I would have committed suicide if I weren't so scared that an attempt could fail and leave me physically disabled.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/28/2016 8:27 pm

11 hours ago, AlexanderJ86 said:

I have untreatable mental disorders which includes psychotic vulnerability. I would trade that with cancer. My life hasn't been very fun for the longest time and I have to live like that for the rest of my life. I am an atheist, but I believe hell exists. It's right here, this planet. I would have committed suicide if I weren't so scared that an attempt could fail and leave me physically disabled.

i hope you find something to help.

QuanHenry liked
(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/28/2016 10:17 pm

When my acne was at its worst, i told my mom that i honestly would rather have some terrible incurable disease than have acne. She though i was crazy but seriously thats where your mind goes after suffering for so long. I would have taken ANY trade off, cancer/hepatitis/diabetes whatever, anything to have my acne gone.

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 07/29/2016 12:31 am

15 hours ago, AlexanderJ86 said:

wtf

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/29/2016 10:23 am

12 hours ago, sh1234 said:

When my acne was at its worst, i told my mom that i honestly would rather have some terrible incurable disease than have acne. She though i was crazy but seriously thats where your mind goes after suffering for so long. I would have taken ANY trade off, cancer/hepatitis/diabetes whatever, anything to have my acne gone.

i think we've all thought that, but if we had one of those wed realize how much wed rather have anything else.

MonroeQT liked
MemberMember
(@mylifeispain)

Posted : 07/31/2016 1:42 pm

Although I sympathize with people that have other diseases, I believe acne is a special type of disease. When you have most of other diseases, people usually can't tell from just seeing you, whether there is something wrong with you. Acne, on the other hand, is immediately obvious from just looking at someone. When someone is sick and at the hospital and you come visit, most of the times they look normal, but when you have acne, you don't even want people to come visit you.

MemberMember
(@wadex)

Posted : 08/01/2016 10:31 am

Dude where are you?

Maid you had cancer I GUARANTEE your mind would change. Put yourself and their shoes.

MemberMember
(@yola4)

Posted : 09/05/2016 7:21 am

I use to have moderate/severe acne for over ten years. I stumbled across this website and thought that maybe I could offer some help/information to those suffering since I have been through it, and I know how psychologically tormenting it can be. Isolating myself from the outside world, and brushing my teeth in the dark just to avoid my own
reflection became second nature to me.
BUT, with that being said, I cannot condone comments like,"I will never sympathize with cancer patients or people who have HIV/AIDS or diabetes etc.I couldn't care less about them while we get nothing."
This bitter, negative attitude will not get you anywhere in life- I promise you that. I do not care how bad my acne got I would NEVER make such a brash statement. It really saddens me. The people on this forum should know all to well what suffering feels like, and to be so insensitive is beyond me.

Oh and btw, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis a few years ago. I'm doing great now, but the first year was absolute Hell. I would have paid money to trade RA for acne. Spend a week of your life suddenly unable to work; unable to move your leg an inch without screaming in agony; unable to bathe yourself without assistance...it was humiliating and excruciatingly painful to say the least. Then come back and tell me how you feel.
I would never wish this pain on you or anyone else because I am a decent human being. But remember karma is a bitch...negativity won't get you anywhere.

MemberMember
(@mylifeisacne)

Posted : 09/05/2016 10:48 pm

15 hours ago, Yola4 said:

I use to have moderate/severe acne for over ten years. I stumbled across this website and thought that maybe I could offer some help/information to those suffering since I have been through it, and I know how psychologically tormenting it can be. Isolating myself from the outside world, and brushing my teeth in the dark just to avoid my own
reflection became second nature to me.
BUT, with that being said, I cannot condone comments like,"I will never sympathize with cancer patients or people who have HIV/AIDS or diabetes etc.I couldn't care less about them while we get nothing."
This bitter, negative attitude will not get you anywhere in life- I promise you that. I do not care how bad my acne got I would NEVER make such a brash statement. It really saddens me. The people on this forum should know all to well what suffering feels like, and to be so insensitive is beyond me.

Oh and btw, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis a few years ago. I'm doing great now, but the first year was absolute Hell. I would have paid money to trade RA for acne. Spend a week of your life suddenly unable to work; unable to move your leg an inch without screaming in agony; unable to bathe yourself without assistance...it was humiliating and excruciatingly painful to say the least. Then come back and tell me how you feel.
I would never wish this pain on you or anyone else because I am a decent human being. But remember karma is a bitch...negativity won't get you anywhere.

It's not like positivity will get you anywhere either...we're talking about a medical condition...the thoughts in your head have no effect on it.

MemberMember
(@ironmotivation)

Posted : 09/06/2016 2:30 pm

15 hours ago, mylifeisacne said:
It's not like positivity will get you anywhere either...we're talking about a medical condition...the thoughts in your head have no effect on it.

I disagree, being positive will help prevent the acne getting to your head (mentally). Some people turn out to get anxiety whenever outside, or depression/feeling hopeless. Everyone is fighting a battle like it or not, no matter how big or small. Some are physical and some are mental.

Yola4 liked
MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 09/06/2016 2:50 pm

19 minutes ago, IronMotivation said:
16 hours ago, mylifeisacne said:

I disagree, being positive will help prevent the acne getting to your head (mentally). Some people turn out to get anxiety whenever outside, or depression/feeling hopeless. Everyone is fighting a battle like it or not, no matter how big or small. Some are physical and some are mental.

If you are positive, then other people will make your acne go to your head. You don't have to worry about that.

MemberMember
(@yola4)

Posted : 09/06/2016 3:45 pm

16 hours ago, mylifeisacne said:

I completely disagree. My experience and the experience of many others (Ernestoria for example) shows that an optimistic mind set is more conducive for healing.

MemberMember
(@kenharrison)

Posted : 09/06/2016 8:02 pm

4 hours ago, Yola4 said:
21 hours ago, mylifeisacne said:

I completely disagree. My experience and the experience of many others (Ernestoria for example) shows that an optimistic mind set is more conducive for healing.

Can you go into a bit more detail, when you a referring to healing? healing what?

MemberMember
(@yola4)

Posted : 09/07/2016 7:04 am

Positivity is more conducive for healing simply means an optimistic mindset is better for "healing" any affliction of the body whether it be acne or anything else.
Healing by definition means curing; recovering;gettingwell.
Using the term healing does not necessarily mean that there is something that needs to be mended...such as the term "spiritual healing."