Notifications
Clear all

Smoking Tobacco and Acne-Prone Skin

MemberMember
(@andrew9820)

Posted : 05/03/2016 8:49 pm

So I am currently 18 years old i had acne since 13 years old etc.
Suffering still although the healthy lifestyle i had ALL these painful years of patience( ate the bullet and took also accutane for 9 months)and  so i actually broke the rules these last 10 days and started to smoke  for 10-15 days only to see the difference. and what do i get? acne is somehow disapearing and fading/drying out. While in the meantime looking at all my loser friends that were smoking from the age of 15 have SUPER clear skin and hardly even can develop a pimple. Even my acne friends that started to smoke long time ago i started smoking are now clear like a 5 year old kids face.
And my  questions are
1.What are the effects of Tobacco and Nicotine to Acne prone Skin?
2.Why do smokers have clear skin? Come on tell me one Smoker you saw with acne....None for sure.
3.Does Smoking have an anti-inflamattory effect on skin?
4.Does smoking drop stress levels down therefore acne can't develop from stress?
5.It is said that  people with acne have a high sex-drive since smoking  drops your sex drive down won't that help acne?
6.What about oily skin? Smoking makes your skin dry so oily skin sufferers are cured?
7.Smoking Tobacco decreasing redness on face?

I would like this Post to be forwarded everywhere and have a huge discussion for this topic because i have been surfing the internet the last few days about this and nothing seems helpful for the causes and maybe hidden (or somehow beyond every expectation acne cures). 
If anyone finds this thread stupid well it's a discussion. Im not saying Smoking cures acne but we need more details  and info about it :)

Thanks alot

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 05/05/2016 4:47 am

Whilst I appreciate you had a somewhat positive experience of smoking helping your skin, tobacco smoking seriously is harmful to the body. Even if smoking could help my acne I would never resort to that and would never encourage anyone to resort to that.

MemberMember
(@iwikiwi)

Posted : 05/05/2016 5:43 am

I know plenty of smokers with very very bad skin, you're friends are just the lucky ones. I'm smoking and I smoke a lot and I can tell you if I stop for a week and drinks plenty of water my skin looks much better. I don't get acne from smoking per se, but my skin looks grey oily and unhealthy. Have you seen what smokers lips look like after years of smoking? And teeth! Just dont smoke. There needs to be no discussion, I'm sure you can Google what actually goes into ypur lungs when you smoke if you read it you will find there is nothing in there to support your theory logically.
And if you persist you will find yourself with a seriously disgusting and persistent habit. I now wish I never smoked.

MemberMember
(@ugurl)

Posted : 05/06/2016 1:16 am

I have friends who smoke and have acne. Just because you have a few experiences in your personal life doesn't mean that there is a causal relationship between smoking tobacco and clearing up acne, and I think that sends out the wrong message to people reading this post. People who smoke develop wrinkles and their skin starts to sag at twice the rate of a non smoker. Don't even get me started on what it does to your lungs. And once you smoke, its really hard to stop so don't get into it, please!! Clear skin isn't the price you want to pay for with years of your life.

MemberMember
(@mary12)

Posted : 05/11/2016 12:17 pm

I smoked when I was 18 too. Youth is great. But seriously, nothing is good about smoking. Maybe it does de-stress you but so does yoga. Try that instead. haha. Give it a couple of years and trust me - your skin will look old and haggard. If you are doing it only to get rid of acne - try this boutique acne treatment company I have used for years - Ninja Skincare. The lady who owns it is the primo acne guru in the world - I swear. She will help you out and you can toss those terrible ciggies now!

MemberMember
(@davidctino)

Posted : 05/12/2016 2:35 am

Some people are just not acne prone but smoking will give you wrinkles and shorten your breathe.

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 05/12/2016 4:25 am

Realistically...smoking isn't going to have any effect on acne on a biological scale. Smoking won't physically clog your pores or produce more sebum. It's purely a coincidence.

Smoking, however, can have an effect on your stress levels and lower them... as such, it can help individuals feel more relaxed. It's likely that when you were smoking it relaxed you, lowering your stress levels. Stress can play a part in acne. Perhaps it's time to look into the stress triggers in your life and relate them to acne, rather than smoking as an individual factor.

MemberMember
(@dell10000)

Posted : 05/12/2016 8:38 am

Tobacco is harmful to the body, especially the respiratory system. Stating this, I am sure tobacco burdens the liver and kidneys, reducing their ability to filter waste. A poorly functioning liver and kidney, is likely to increase acne. However, that does not explain the people that smoke and do not get acne. In that point, I would conclude that genetics are the culprit. I know people that eat everything and anything, but have clear skin. If I did the same thing, my face would look like Agar.io. So, that comes down to genetic disposition. I found some information between smoking and acne.

http://www.acne.org/smoking-acne.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2835905/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/95174-smoking-make-acne-worse/