Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snowflake01

Dr David Lim Reviews

Recommended Posts

After watching a lot of his yt videos I decided to go and see him. He is very knowledgeable but the appointment goes very quickly and felt a bit rushed.  That aside I still wanted to get treatments done by him. I tried to schedule an appointment for next year for the treatments but was told by staff that is not taking any appointments for next year yet. On google reviews I saw someone post that 'publicised disciplinary actions the Medical Board took against him just a few months ago'. I googled the board and there is indeed disciplinary actions against him I'm not sure what though. I'm not sure where to go now.

Edited by Redbow123
8 hours ago, Redbow123 said:

After watching a lot of his yt videos I decided to go and see him. He is very knowledgeable but the appointment goes very quickly and felt a bit rushed. My bf also went to see him and told me that as he was talking and asking more questions he pretty much walked him out the door. That aside I still wanted to get treatments done by him. I tried to schedule an appointment for next year for the treatments but was told by staff that is not taking any appointments for next year yet. On google reviews I saw someone post that 'publicised disciplinary actions the Medical Board took against him just a few months ago'. I googled the board and there is indeed disciplinary actions against him I'm not sure what though. I'm not sure where to go now.

I am sorry that you had bad experience at the Dr's consult. If you live in AUS, why don't you consider paying the other recommended here Aussie docs a visit? It's not just Dr. Lim.

Also, where did you find the info about Dr. Lim facing disciplinary measures by the Medical Board of Australia? I couldn't find anything. Is this legit? Can you, please, provide a link, in PM if you want? When I enquired about an appointment at Dr. Lim's office a few weeks ago, I was offered one in early March next year.

11 hours ago, NuageBlanche said:

Where can I find the list of recommended aussie doctors?

Here you go:https://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration/Registers-of-Practitioners.aspx?q=MED0001397991&t=0C3nDOSWEKt7FQJCxzMV

Link to post

@Redbow123You can find the list in BA's pinned thread at the top of the scar subforum section: recommended doctors, Q&A or something like that. I saw quite a few doctors listed in Australia.

Thank you for the link.

14 minutes ago, ScarRight said:

Wow. I wonder what that is all about.

It says “Reprimands: None” on the link to Dr Lim’s site, so not sure what the disciplinary actions are, if any.

Link to post

Does anyone know about Dr Lim’s pricing since opening the new Curtis clinic? I tried to email the office but they said it depends on treatment, and couldn’t even give prices for subcision

On 12/25/2019 at 6:35 AM, shei514 said:

I would love to know that too

On 12/14/2018 at 12:13 AM, welldone28 said:

@beautifulambition

Yes with skin grafts, I told Dr to go really slow, so whenever he added a bit of my own "cells" under the scar, he did only a little at the time. I think this helped. To be honest I dont understand how skin gets worse after 5 years with this procedure, I dont believe mine did. I know memory is very subjective (I dont have photos to prove), but my scars were quite deep before skin grafting. Now my issue is getting rid of a bunch of shallow scars/texture. I will try subcision/tca cross as you have suggested. Thanks again:)

I will not post my opinion on Docs, but how are people meant to know, especially those that specifically ask? I found the important info here on forums and on doctors as well. My experience and opinion is one, but when you see more people experiencing the similar thing, you start seeing a pattern. Isn't it the same with "praising" any specific doc? same, very subjective, and can be a "troll". So far from what've seen, it seemed like people who wrote their negative or positive opinions seem genuine, just stating their experience. Anyway, just wondering.

With "Skin Grafts" it means Fat Grafts?

9 hours ago, Stef3000 said:

I saw These reviews about Lim,  ist also seems that he ban Bad Reviews on realself. Dam ist seem that he is fooling all of us.

I don't know how he is with patients. A few months back I inquired with his staff about getting an appointment and they were really not the most helpful. They told me I cannot have a long distance consultation because Dr Lim likes to assess scars in person, that I need to book a seperate consultation before any treatments and that I should plan at least a 3 weeks stay in Brisbane for any following treatments. This isn't very appealing for patients travelling long distance.

Oh my, the negative reviews on this site are so numerous!

1 hour ago, Sisi90 said:

Oh my, the negative reviews on this site are so numerous!

It seems that he really doesn’t deliver good results at all and and on top of that he deletes bad reviews, well I wouldn’t recommend such a doctor. If you go a few pages back you can see how BA talks in favor of Lim even though a patient did say that he’s not happy with the results and doesn’t like him. I’m sure that he worked somehow for Lim and other doctors. I also think that they want to see people because they make Safe money with the consultation that way, and if you’re there already you will also do a treatment no matter what he offers. It’s all psychology !

2 hours ago, Stef3000 said:

If you look at his positive reviews on Google, you will see that they are all from people who've never seen him; they review with 5 stars and ask for a recommendation.

I cannot say anything about this Dr Lim, because I've never seen him. My impression however based on his reviews and the photos that he posts is that he's more of a marketing guru. I cannot trust a doctor who is dishonest with his photos; what else is he dishonest about?

I watch his videos though. I think they are helpful and that in general he gives good advice, makes you think about aspects of the scar treatments that you wouldn't know are important otherwise.

Anyway, on one if Lim's videos I saw Dr Henningsen and he made a very positive impression. I have finally booked a consult and can't wait to get my scars treated!

He is also the only doctor that I found who posts realistic photos on his social media.

2 hours ago, Stef3000 said:

I always thought BA was affiliated with Dr Lim. When I sent him photos of my skin, the first thing he suggested was 'You should see Dr Lim'.

13 minutes ago, BlueMaloney said:

I think he says that because Dr. Lim mention b.a's name in youtube video and also mention this forum. And also Dr.Lim i think one of the most succesful acne scar doctor in the world right now. He is so popular, i dont know if he deserves that or not.

55 minutes ago, can i get a new life please said:

It is suspicious, that he didn’t  mentioned acne.org for long time and BA disappeared. Maybe Lim didn’t pay BA anymore and that’s why he’s not here anymore.

On 1/9/2021 at 1:33 PM, Stef3000 said:

Link to post

I just had my 2nd treatment with him for mainly atrophic scars. I tried dermapens about 10 years ago, but it didnt do anything so I gave up for many years.

My scars are mainly tethered with a mix of rolling and light spotted tethered area, especially around my cheeks. I had some cysts that were below my skin in my early 20's which never developed into acne but would take many weeks to resolve. I also had a major atrophic scar area where a cystic acne lasted 2 months. I was still getting acne even up until my late 20's, but have pretty much stamped it out since significantly lower carbohydrate intake.

My first attempt at resolving the scar problem was at Enrich clinic. I unfortunately incurred a hypertrophic from my nokor subcision with Dr Michael Rich in Victoria, and didn't want to proceed with treatments at Enrich clinic further.

I called up the Victorian cosmetic institute prior to considering my travels to Brisbane, however they advised that I would have an appointment with their nurse about treatment options. That was not a satisfactory service that I would accept, so I decided to go to Brisbane.

I flew to see Dr Lim in March of 2020 and he examined and offered to treat me on the same day (I was flying interstate). He broke at least 1 cannula needle whilst breaking the hypertrophic scar and I could hear the grinding and snapping of the collagen tethers (It was initially very traumatic to hear all the noises). My hypertrophic scar is completely gone now.

He advised me prior to the 1st treatment that I may need fillers as my atrophic scars are rather deep, and may require 4-8 treatments.

My 2nd treatment was this week, and he told me I didnt need fillers as my results from the 1st treatment was really good, and would only need 1 more treatment totaling 3.

Both the treatments involved cannula subcision, however he used TCA and an unknown laser for the 1st, and a more aggressive (i assume) Co2 laser for the 2nd.

I feel my scars have significantly improved; subjectively by around 70% since the 1st treatment from both Dr Rich and 1st treatment from Dr Lim.

Will judge the results from the latest treatment in about 8 weeks.

The treatment for Dr Lim costs $2970 AUD before medicare rebate per treatment for me. I was able to get a $350 medicare rebate for the 1st treatment. I reached my medicare rebate threshold prior to my 2nd treatment was was rebated $1700 on my 2nd treatment which was a pleasant surprise.

I would say the downside at the Cutis clinic is that they seem busy and I was always waiting a long time before going into theater for treatment; but that was the same at Enrich clinic; I guess the dermatology centers are always overbooked for efficiency.

Hopefully my experience and information helped.

Link to post

He treated your hypertrophic scar with Subcision ? Did I understand this in the right way ? And it worked ?? I did never hear something like this before. Even Lim did say that Subcision shouldn’t be done on hypertrophic scars.

Do you have any before and Afters ?

Edited by Stef3000
Link to post

I didn't take any photos of my progress but were all taken under bright light at the Cutis Clinic and Enrich Clinic to measure the changes.

Dr Lim said that I got the hypertrophic scar because of the hematoma that resulted from the nokor subcision being too aggressive, and this confirms my experience as there was a lump at that spot for many weeks that didn't flatten back down.

It probably took at least 4-5mins just to work on the hypertrophic scar with the cannula, I think he either bent 1 or 2 trying to break it.

Another important factor is that, almost at every other dermatologist clinic I've been to; they let you choose what treatment you want. At Cutis, he kind of takes you to theatre and does his thing; I never really discussed many options with him, but he briefly described what he was going to do; but I'm not the expert on the subject, so it may be for the better.

Edited by AussieDingdong
Additional info
3 hours ago, AussieDingdong said:

Okay, well Grats,

but it is strange that a lot of people who have visit Lim and write a review  don’t have B&A for some reason. Everybody has some pictures before and after the treatment. And the most should also make sure that it is the same light. What would you do if something goes wrong ? You wouldn’t have any evidence.

I don’t want to discredit you, but for that reason I only believe reviews that have B&As because it could be possible that you’re Lim himself or an assistant.
no offense I’m just carefull, but I’m still happy for your progress

Edited by Stef3000
Link to post

Do you think these results are possible? And after how many and what treatments? I couldn't quite understand. 3 subcisions with 14, 16, 22 G? Is that the Nokor needle or the cannula? What does full field subcision mean? And after that fractional laser and Genius were performed as well.

Screenshot_20210114-203247.jpg

3 hours ago, Sisi90 said:

14, 16, 22 refers to the thickness of the syringe and "g" means gauge (eg. 22-gauge needle). It doesn't matter if it's Nokor or cannula.

"Field subcision" means that you're subcising a batch of scars with just single incision rather than subcising scars individually with multiple incisions (eg. incisionn per scar).

7 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:

I understand. Thank you. But still it's not very clear if Nokor or cannula was used for these results and how many sessions are needed. I guess only dr Lim knows this. And what does "modified instrumentation subcision" mean? Is this the Taylor Liberator?

Otherwise subcision, Genius and fractional laser seem like a good combination to me (uneducated opinion, of course) and if similar scarring could get the degree of improvement with this combo it would be a dream come true.

What is a bit concerning though is the very visible redness that probably shows that the laser was performed shortly before. This casts a shadow of doubt over the permanent results

If dr Lim posts afters 6 months post procedure( not only lasers but any kind of procedure that could plump up the skin through swelling), I think a lot more people would be willing to do his treatments and hope for real results!