Notifications
Clear all

Contraceptive Pill or Accutane? Please Help!

MemberMember
(@rika22)

Posted : 04/29/2016 12:28 pm

Hey!
I'm new to this forum, but I already learned a lot of stuff here.
Hopefully the experts on these site could help me with the following problem:

About half a year ago, I took L-Thyronine for two weeks, because apparently I had hypothyroidism .
I didn't take the hormones anymore after I've seen what it did to my face, a lot of inflamed pimples mostly around my hairline, not only on my face, but also on chest and back. (note: I'm 22 years old, never ever had one pimple, even in my teen years, generally don't have acne-prone skin).
My period cycle also got out of hand, it became very irregular.
So over the time it got a little bit better. I mostly have closed comedones (but a lot!) on the T-Zone and the hairline, but not inflammatory anymore (it really helped, that I cut out dairy products).
Anyway, I've been to the gyn, who prescribed me a birth pill with a lot of oestrogen, because I apparently have a PCO-Syndrom (not sure about this, because my period is now somewhat regular). I really wish that my skin become clear again, but I'm afraid that the pill won't change anything at all or make it even worse. I really didn't want to take birth control, I even got gynefix, so that I don't have to deal with hormones, but if it helps, I would take the pill. Pill is calld maxim/valette, any experience with it?

I'm sure that my acne is hormonal, because no cream, no antibiotics ever helped.

My other alternative is to take accutane, but I'm not sure which route I should take.
Maybe some has a similar acne story like me and could help me out.

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 04/29/2016 5:04 pm

People who take accutane for hormonal acne, usually are the ones that get their acne back. Get on the pill. Don't risk accutane if you know your acne is hormonal.

MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 04/29/2016 6:00 pm

Making your acne worse while on the pill depends on the kind of birth control you're taking. Women with PCOS should try pills such as Dianette, Yaz or Yasmin, since it contains anti androgenic progesterones and won't make you produce more oil.

Also, keep in mind that even taking such pills your acne might get worse before your body fully adjust to the hormones -- give it 3 or 4 months and your skin will be fine, though.

I agree with Chloe on the Accutane subject. This drug should be your last choice since it's only a temporary fix -- well, pills are also a temporary fix as well, but it doesn't do much harm to your body comparing to Accutane.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@rika22)

Posted : 04/30/2016 1:38 am

Hey, thank you both for your replies!

Guess, I'll give the pill a try.

I hear that in the beginning acne might get worse before it gets better.
But why is that so? I could understand if there is no improvement until your body adjust to the hormones, but why does it get worse?

Majja133 and katsc liked
MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 04/30/2016 1:51 pm

12 hours ago, Rika22 said:

Hey, thank you both for your replies!

Guess, I'll give the pill a try.

I hear that in the beginning acne might get worse before it gets better.
But why is that so? I could understand if there is no improvement until your body adjust to the hormones, but why does it get worse?

I don't know exactly why. I myself took birth controls for about four years, recently got back taking Yasmin and, honestly, never got that "worse before gets better" phase. My skin just had ups and downs during the first 3 or 4 months, with my skin being clean and, then, having flare ups here and there -- but never worst than before I started taking the pill. I think the reaction is very individual.

Rika22 and Chloe123 liked
MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 04/30/2016 5:15 pm

3 hours ago, katsc said:
I don't know exactly why. I myself took birth controls for about four years, recently got back taking Yasmin and, honestly, never got that "worse before gets better" phase. My skin just had ups and downs during the first 3 or 4 months, with my skin being clean and, then, having flare ups here and there -- but never worst than before I started taking the pill. I think the reaction is very individual.

Agreed. This was exactly me!

katsc and Rika22 liked
MemberMember
(@lilok)

Posted : 05/07/2016 1:12 pm

Rika, hi! I agree with the girls about the Accutane decision, it might be better for you to try birth pills first 🙂 But also keep in mind that everyone reacts different to each pill, and that's why you should see a doctor/gyn so they give you an accurate advice on the matter (looking at your medical history and how you have reacted to treatment you mentioned in your post). There are such a variety of pills, that is almost certain that you will find one that suits your metabolism and your body so you don't have that many side effects. I took Yaz, Yasmin and Yasminiqfor 6 years and when I got off the reaction was terrible and caused me the acne I never had, because the way my body got used to the Drospirenone... but that's my case and how my body react to it, so now I'm taking another type of birth control. The one thing I learned is that you have to check with a responsible doctor that actually cares enough to look at your medical history and explains everything you want to know about the method you are going to use.

Hope you find the right one

Rika22 liked
MemberMember
(@rika22)

Posted : 05/11/2016 1:06 pm

On 7.5.2016 at 8:12 PM, Lilok said:

Rika, hi! I agree with the girls about the Accutane decision, it might be better for you to try birth pills first 🙂 But also keep in mind that everyone reacts different to each pill, and that's why you should see a doctor/gyn so they give you an accurate advice on the matter (looking at your medical history and how you have reacted to treatment you mentioned in your post). There are such a variety of pills, that is almost certain that you will find one that suits your metabolism and your body so you don't have that many side effects. I took Yaz, Yasmin and Yasminiqfor 6 years and when I got off the reaction was terrible and caused me the acne I never had, because the way my body got used to the Drospirenone... but that's my case and how my body react to it, so now I'm taking another type of birth control. The one thing I learned is that you have to check with a responsible doctor that actually cares enough to look at your medical history and explains everything you want to know about the method you are going to use.

Hope you find the right one

Hey, thanks for your opinion. You're really right about finding a doctor, who cares. That's actually harder to find that one would suggest. I started taking the pill a week ago, so it's too soon to tell if there's any improvement, but at least it didn't get worse.
It's very frustrating when you got acne because of any form of medicaments, you just regret taking it in the first place, well, this is how I feel.
I hope you're happy with your current birth control 🙂

Lilok liked
MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 05/18/2016 4:19 pm

Hi!
I'm going to suggest you try bc pills for at leader a year before even considering Accutane. Unless you have high risk for strokes or blood clots bc pills are safer. I hate acne but I'd never take Accutane as I have s family history of suicide. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@jensweetone)

Posted : 05/18/2016 9:40 pm

I absolutely say go with the bc pills first!! Accutane was a horrible drug for me-left me with chronic dry eye and I was SEVERELY depressed while on it (plus all my acne came back anyway)

Now I'm on bc and my acne has cleared to an amount that I'm much more comfortable with. I wish to goodness I had tried bc first!

MemberMember
(@rika22)

Posted : 05/19/2016 1:56 am

Thank you for your replies.
I'm taking the pill for about 3 weeks now and my skin looks pretty bad. Feeling very frustrated right now :/. I mostly have closed comedones (all over the face), which sometimes form to a pimple. Does the pill also get rid of closed comedones if you wait long enough?
All the before and after pictures of accutane really encourage me to go on accutane, but I should wait be patient.
How long did it take for you guys until some improvements were noticable?

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 05/19/2016 8:28 am

10 hours ago, jensweetone said:

I absolutely say go with the bc pills first!! Accutane was a horrible drug for me-left me with chronic dry eye and I was SEVERELY depressed while on it (plus all my acne came back anyway)

Now I'm on bc and my acne has cleared to an amount that I'm much more comfortable with. I wish to goodness I had tried bc first!

accutane failed?! And you got shitty side effects? Sorry. I'm not gonna even try cause I have depression issues and suicidal family history.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 05/19/2016 3:11 pm

13 hours ago, Rika22 said:

Thank you for your replies.
I'm taking the pill for about 3 weeks now and my skin looks pretty bad. Feeling very frustrated right now :/. I mostly have closed comedones (all over the face), which sometimes form to a pimple. Does the pill also get rid of closed comedones if you wait long enough?
All the before and after pictures of accutane really encourage me to go on accutane, but I should wait be patient.
How long did it take for you guys until some improvements were noticable?

hey don't worry, most women don't see any change until 3-4 months. And after that its usually a dramatic change for the better
Maybe ask your doctor for some anti biotics till your hormonal pulls kick in. A 3-4 month course of minocycline may help a lot. Ask your doctor.

Rika22 liked
MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 05/19/2016 8:54 pm

I hate birth control. I don't have PCOS, but birth control makes me moody, and the IUD gave me infections. I do know that Spironolactone (a diuretic) can work wonders for women with hormonal PCOS acne. And it works well alone or with the BC pill. And at least for me, I didn't get any side effects aside from missed periods (which I didn't mind). I'd consider adding Spironolactone to your birth control, it's been well-studied, and has been a miracle drug for many acne prone women. You can find most of the studies online.

Rika22 liked
MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 05/21/2016 2:07 pm

On 5/20/2016 at 9:54 PM, SendMeAngels said:

I hate birth control. I don't have PCOS, but birth control makes me moody, and the IUD gave me infections. I do know that Spironolactone (a diuretic) can work wonders for women with hormonal PCOS acne. And it works well alone or with the BC pill. And at least for me, I didn't get any side effects aside from missed periods (which I didn't mind). I'd consider adding Spironolactone to your birth control, it's been well-studied, and has been a miracle drug for many acne prone women. You can find most of the studies online.

hi there...what was your dosage? Just curious.

MemberMember
(@rika22)

Posted : 05/27/2016 1:25 am

I think, I'll give Spiro a chance, when I don't see a chance after about 3 months.
Right now, I'm in the 7 days pill pause and my skin got actually better. Does anyone know what this means?
I expected it to be much worse, since I don't take the pill right now.
Thanks for your time!

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 05/27/2016 3:16 pm

You mean the placebo pills?
ask your doctor off you can skip them my doctor says I don't even have to take them since you won't get a real period anyway. Most gynos agree its safe to skip them but ask to be sure.

MemberMember
(@rika22)

Posted : 05/28/2016 5:13 am

So you mean to just continue with the normal pills without a pause?
I don't take placebo pills, I just don't take any pill at all for 7 days, then start again with the pill for 21 days (maybe it's a bit different in Germany, I don't know.)

MemberMember
(@pollyb)

Posted : 05/29/2016 2:40 pm

On May 20, 2016 at 8:54 PM, SendMeAngels said:

I'm 45 and have been having constant chin acne for 18 months or so. I've been taking natural progesterone for menstrual migraines which has helped tremendously but I feel like my chin acne is worse. (nat progesterone is suppose to help-?) Anyway, I'm calling my derm on Monday to get in and get a prescription for Spironolactone. The last time I took it (50 mg a day), my skin looked perfect. You should try Spironolactone!

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 05/30/2016 12:53 pm

22 hours ago, PollyB said:
I'm 45 and have been having constant chin acne for 18 months or so. I've been taking natural progesterone for menstrual migraines which has helped tremendously but I feel like my chin acne is worse. (nat progesterone is suppose to help-?) Anyway, I'm calling my derm on Monday to get in and get a prescription for Spironolactone. The last time I took it (50 mg a day), my skin looked perfect. You should try Spironolactone!

im considering it! What dosage ?
Plus a few hears ago I had low blood pressure and now its borderline high so that might work too.

MemberMember
(@rika22)

Posted : 10/19/2016 1:25 pm

Hey! I just wanted to give an update. 

I started taking the pill about six months ago. In the first three months I didn't see any change, but after the fourth month break outs become more and more rarely, my skin turned back to normal. 
I Just have PIH left, which will fade in the future hopefully, no more active acne, feels so great!

So if you girls have hormonal acne, maybe give the pill a try, I know, it shouldn't be a long-term solution, but honestly, I feel much more happy an confident and to me, that's worth it.  

And thanks so much for the support! This site really helped me. I hope anyone gets over this shit 

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 10/22/2016 4:53 pm

So glad this is working for you!! Congrats!! :)

Rika22 liked
MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 10/25/2016 8:12 am

On 10/20/2016 at 4:25 AM, Rika22 said:

I started taking the pill about six months ago. In the first three months I didn't see any change, but after the fourth month break outs become more and more rarely, my skin turned back to normal. 
I Just have PIH left, which will fade in the future hopefully, no more active acne, feels so great!

So if you girls have hormonal acne, maybe give the pill a try, I know, it shouldn't be a long-term solution, but honestly, I feel much more happy an confident and to me, that's worth it.  

And thanks so much for the support! This site really helped me. I hope anyone gets over this shit 

yayayayya another person that birth control has worked for! what pill do you take? Also, its amazing when your marks start to fade because you realize that you arent getting new pimples that create new marks. 

Rika22 liked
MemberMember
(@rika22)

Posted : 10/31/2016 10:42 am

On 25.10.2016 at 3:12 PM, Chloe123 said:
On 19.10.2016 at 8:25 PM, Rika22 said:

yayayayya another person that birth control has worked for! what pill do you take? Also, its amazing when your marks start to fade because you realize that you arent getting new pimples that create new marks. 

Yes!  How does the pill work for you?
I take maxim, it's just like valette, just a different name.
Still, the marks on my back fade very very slowly :/

MemberMember
(@chloe123)

Posted : 11/01/2016 6:52 am

20 hours ago, Rika22 said:
Yes!  How does the pill work for you?
I take maxim, it's just like valette, just a different name.
Still, the marks on my back fade very very slowly :/

Im on Yasmin. I agree! My right cheek is finally clear, but i have 5 marks still that have been there for like a year now. Im considering laser because my derm said those are permanent. Oh well, still better than acne.