Notifications
Clear all

What do you do?

MemberMember
(@mmm999)

Posted : 04/28/2016 8:22 pm

does anyone know any tips or ways to be happy with acne? Every time I look in the mirror I start to cry. I'm so insecure about my acne that it takes away all my happiness. You don't really know what it feels like until you have it on yourself and can't get rid of it. Anyways what are some things you can do? because for me, Ive been depressed for years about it and I was even hospitalized for a suicide attempt because of it. The worst is when people point it out. All I want to do in that situation is just cry in front of them.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/01/2016 8:23 am

See a therapist and Learn to change your thinking. No one wants to learn to love their acne but you can learn to live with it and view it as an extension of you (like being short, having red hair, wearing glasses, etc)

MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 05/01/2016 10:06 am

On 29 April 2016 at 2:22 AM, MMM999 said:

does anyone know any tips or ways to be happy with acne?

If the condition of your skin really bothers you I don't think you can truly be happy with acne. You can pretend to be happy, which is what people mean when they rather condescendingly say "keep your chin up" or "don't worry about it". Its impossible to ignore it, but you can learn to "distract" yourself from your acne. I did, but it wasn't really a thought process that led me to it, I just started thinking about other stuff and escaping into my own head. I suppose I was quite lucky in way, because I became very introverted and stopped feeling the need to be around others. Unfortunately I don't feel like that anymore.

MemberMember
(@jensweetone)

Posted : 05/01/2016 4:47 pm

I completely agree with going to therapy. Seriously. It helps.

Also, you know how we can either be our worst enemy or best friend?I also have to remind myself to be my best friend when I look in the mirror. I remind myself that I'm doing the best I can, my hormones cause my acne and I can't help it, and I CAN deal with this.

I know it's really hard and I get how rough it is. Hang in there.

MemberMember
(@holdingontohope)

Posted : 05/01/2016 9:35 pm

You won't be happy with acne, and that is OKAY.

The problem is people are obsessed with this happiness thing. Happiness doesn't exist if it depends on circumstance.

Learn to count your blessings, learn to be grateful. You may still not accept yourself but you will move a step closer in the right direction.

The direction of healing and change, instead of being stuck 24/7 sulking and feeling sorry for yourself.

The count your blessings thingy, cliche, but so very important.

MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 05/02/2016 10:48 am

13 hours ago, holdingontohope said:

The direction of healing and change, instead of being stuck 24/7 sulking and feeling sorry for yourself.

The count your blessings thingy, cliche, but so very important.

I disagree. I believe that the whole "stop sulking"/ "count your blessings"/ "stop feel in sorry for yourself" thing is just something people say in an attempt to guilt trip you (i'm not suggesting that's what you're doing, but in general I don't like those terms).

People usually do this out of frustration, as it is impossible to understand someone else's insecurities unless you've been through it, or as a feeble attempt at making someone feel better by pointing out that there are others who are worse off than yourself.

At worst its an attempt to disregard or dispute another person's problems. It also makes the assumption that the person isn't counting their blessings, which may be the only reason they haven't given up on life in general.

MemberMember
(@ugurl)

Posted : 05/02/2016 2:59 pm

I come from a culture where people are super comfortable calling you out for your appearance. My mom, other family members have never felt any hesitation in pointing out when I gain weight, or get a pimple. Because of this, I've developed somewhat of a thick skin when it comes to people pointing it out or making comment about it, but that doesn't mean it doesnt affect me emotionally when they do it. The best way to deal with it is to take control of your acne treatment. Go to a dermatologist and get some prescriptions. A visit costs $100 which is standard I believe, but it could be vastly more or vastly less. My dermatologist isn't the greatest one in the city, but I just wanted tretinoin and I got it and because of it, my self esteem has improved vastly. Once you start to see results and see a treatment working, you become immersed in that, now if family members even point out acne or a blemish, I'm so involved in the treatment process, I can be like "Oh yeah, its still there, but it's healing, it will take time" Thats usually the end of the conversation. I also got slightly obsessed with taking care of my skin, which if you ask me isn't a bad side effect of acne, I got really careful about what I put into my body as well as the creams/make up/moisturizers I put on it. It also helps to have hobbies. I would do yoga for 30 mins a day and I am NOT a peaceful/meditation type of person at all! lol. I just wanted to try everything there was to distract myself. I started going to Michaels and making art projects which was another distraction, i also started to cook at home which got me really excited to wake up and plan recipes. The point is, find anything that will keep your mind off of it, to prevent you from picking at your skin or doing things to harm it. Surround yourself with people who want the best from life, and that means they focus on enjoying themselves and having fun rather than focusing on people's flaws. Have a group of friends and make plans with them (in 3 months lets go to a music festival or lets check out the new art exhibit in town this weekend) Get excited about waking up every day. I agree with holdingontohope, at least partially.. that it's important to find other means to being happy rather than having perfect skin. But I don't think you are being ungrateful and feeling sorry for yourself. Acne can be debilitating and greatly affect a person's personality and emotions, but there are ways to be happy with it and ways to get rid of it.

Good luck! You are not alone.

MemberMember
(@holdingontohope)

Posted : 05/04/2016 12:58 pm

On 5/2/2016 at 11:48 AM, jwalk said:
I disagree. I believe that the whole "stop sulking"/ "count your blessings"/ "stop feel in sorry for yourself" thing is just something people say in an attempt to guilt trip you (i'm not suggesting that's what you're doing, but in general I don't like those terms).

People usually do this out of frustration, as it is impossible to understand someone else's insecurities unless you've been through it, or as a feeble attempt at making someone feel better by pointing out that there are others who are worse off than yourself.

At worst its an attempt to disregard or dispute another person's problems. It also makes the assumption that the person isn't counting their blessings, which may be the only reason they haven't given up on life in general.

I just posted a pic of my face. Trust me, I know what it feels like, but I also know what it feels like to be stuck in despair with no hope..

I'm not saying that it will make you feel better, but it is a start. If you appreciate what you have, like an arm, a leg, etc, then you realize yes, I have a problem, I have holes in my face that other people don't, but I am also greatly blessed.

I've been through it all, the I don't want to appreciate my blessings, why can't I just be like everyone else. Why me? It has led me NOWHERE. It paralyzes you and it makes all things impossible.

Of course, all things easier said then done, but for anyone who is suffering with any problem, I truly believe that you need to figure this out for yourself. You need to come to these conclusions on your own. I can't just tell you them. You need to experience them.

There is hope, there are fixes, just please take it one day at a time. Breathe. Open yourself up to positivity. The mind is a powerful thing.

MonroeQT liked