Notifications
Clear all

Accutane - My journey

MemberMember
(@mr_t)

Posted : 04/28/2016 9:34 am

Hey guys. This is basically my log for acne journey.

Ive been suffering from mild/severe acne for 3 years now. My forehead would be covers in small spots with no heads, my temple and the sides of my face including my cheeks would riddled with acne. Some just blackheads, some whiteheads and some cysts.

I was prescribed creams (all the usuals) and two different antibiotics but there was still no change. Now my acne is as bad as it has ever been. I was referred to a NHS derma two weeks ago but because of the waiting times decided to go private.

After a horrible experience with the green surgery in Manchester I found Dr Ashworth based out of Stockport who is fantastic. He suggested accutane as a treatment. I've read all the side affects but I'm sure this is the right treatment for me. The more I read the more desperate I became to get accutane.

My blood tests (which I get done for free by the GP) came back a few days ago and everything was normal except my ALT which was 99. I went to see my derma and he has today put me on 20g accutane. One to be taken every two days. I've started with such a low dose because of my ALT.

i don't drink, I'm guessing (or hoping) my ALT is high because of my weight training and consumption of protein shakes. That along with my diet (I eat a lot of fast food, a lot). I'm generally fit, have a great BMI but my ALT will need to come down for me to stay on accutane. Anyone got any advice or even general advice?

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 04/28/2016 2:52 pm

5 hours ago, Mr_T said:

Hey guys. This is basically my log for acne journey.

Ive been suffering from mild/severe acne for 3 years now. My forehead would be covers in small spots with no heads, my temple and the sides of my face including my cheeks would riddled with acne. Some just blackheads, some whiteheads and some cysts.

I was prescribed creams (all the usuals) and two different antibiotics but there was still no change. Now my acne is as bad as it has ever been. I was referred to a NHS derma two weeks ago but because of the waiting times decided to go private.

After a horrible experience with the green surgery in Manchester I found Dr Ashworth based out of Stockport who is fantastic. He suggested accutane as a treatment. I've read all the side affects but I'm sure this is the right treatment for me. The more I read the more desperate I became to get accutane.

My blood tests (which I get done for free by the GP) came back a few days ago and everything was normal except my ALT which was 99. I went to see my derma and he has today put me on 20g accutane. One to be taken every two days. I've started with such a low dose because of my ALT.

i don't drink, I'm guessing (or hoping) my ALT is high because of my weight training and consumption of protein shakes. That along with my diet (I eat a lot of fast food, a lot). I'm generally fit, have a great BMI but my ALT will need to come down for me to stay on accutane. Anyone got any advice or even general advice?

Advice, yes. Look at repairing long term damage from accutane.