Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, 

I have been suffering from acne scarring since I was 13. I'm almost 22 now so it's almost been a decade with these little bastards. My acne scarring is pretty moderate maybe even severe and I have skin texture problems. yes it probably looks as bad it sounds lol. Anywho I tried TCA cross around 7-8 rounds but my last round of TCA cross with Howard Bargman in Toronto left me with 4 hummmmoooungousss craters .. You know ones that acne scars can't cause. They were HUGE right on my forehead and one on my right cheek and this asshole excuse of a doc even tried blaming it on me. Still have harsh feelings over it. ANYWHO other than the 4 scars I got from TCA cross, I had decent results (but only when I went to another derm in Montreal and NOT douchebag bargman.) I was so insecure after the new scars I became moreee obsessed and had any procedure I read online tht had good results. The ONLY mentionable results from my procedures was cross and energet. I had cross, laser, saline injections at home, micro needling and energet. I stopped for a while trying to improve my scars because after energet I think I got like a 30-40% reduction and learned how to apply make up that would cover acne scarring better. BUTTT last month I got silicone injections done by dr. Jay Barnett. And wow. After one treatment I couldn't believe how much my scars improved. Some huge craters from acne actually improved by 90%. Reading online about the improvement going down post 3 weeks the appointment I was ready for dissappointment but nope! My scars that improved the most were deep boxcars. Ice pick scars had no to little luck improving or the doc even skipped them ( I have a bunch of those too) The scars from douchebag Bragman actually improved too ! And these scars were so deep I can feel the ditches on my forehead like I'm missing part of my skull. Honestly now I'm more concerned about my uneven texture and hyper pigmentation issues instead of the actual scars. Wow. BUT. I am going to see how far I can go with this and get a second treatment maybe next week lol. Cost was 1200 USD and I'm Canadian so fml but it's worth it, for now! 

Btw I have ice pick and boxcar scars only. And scattered around my whooooole face except my chin ( I never scar there for some reason)

this is is my personal blog ishh to journey my way to success cos I can almost taste it now :) 

just got got a second treatment today 5 weeks after my first and the pic under is immediately after. Today is Thursday April 28 2016. This time the doc concentrated on areas I pointed out to him. I'm still iffy about putting too much of this stuff in my ice pick scars because it's most effective on wide boxcars but we shall see how much improvement I get this time. Although I still have a lot of scars from after the first treatment I feel like I got a pretty good improvement in decreasing the depth of the scars. 

i will post before pics when I access my old computer because I'm using a new phone and don't have my old pics to upload currently. I'll also post after pics in 4 weeks And we can all compare how much improvement we got, I never looked in my old pics in so long! 
image.jpeg

Edited by Harrokitty
Add more pictures

By silicone injections you mean silicone micro droplet right. I've been doing silicone micro droplet treatment for a while now and yeah this treatment is pretty good. Honestly it's the only scar treatment I got that gave my any noticeable improvement. By noticeable I mean really noticeable. Definitely works best on rolling and boxcar. Dang I remember I used to get soo depressed whenever I saw myself in the mirror, but now I kinda feel like a normal human being:smileys_n_people_10:. Anyways I'm glad you got good results. I usually wait 4 weeks between treatments, since it takes atleast 2-3 weeks for the swelling to fully die down. Oh yeah I don't know if your doctor will mind but what I do is I stare at a mirror in terrible lighting and circle all the scars on my face beforehand with a pen. Like I would draw around 10 circles or more. This not only saves the doctor time but it guarantees that every scar that bothers you is treated. I used to get really dissapointed whenever my doctor will completely miss some of the scars that really bothered me, but now he doesn't miss a single one.

Silicone does fill up scars, but always be sure that the scars are not tethered, because if the silicone "donuts" around a tethered scar, it will be very difficult to correct.  Permanent fillers are pretty tricky and do have some inherent risk.  I think the most likely risk from permanent fillers is overcorrection, where you end up with visible bumps and ridging.  It is best to go slow and give it some time for the collagen to build up.  Remember the volume created is  from both the silicone and your body's reaction to it and the collagen that encapsulates the material.   

Sadly I have to agree with beautifulambition. If silicone was a safe option then there would be no one with acne scars!

By now it would have become the mainstream treatment and everyone would be doing it. It's not whether it's FDA approved that matters to me, just think about how it works and how your skin is an ever changing organ, renewing its cells all the time. Having a foreign body put in there is scary as shit if you've seen these complications!

I'd love for it to work as I'd be the first to fill all my scars with it, unfortunatelly I'm not willing to risk further damage for now... I'm sticking with less invasive treatments first and then we'll see what comes.

p.s. Beautifulambition, remember that bellafill is FDA approved so what does that tell us? Sure, its rate of complications is lower but artefill's wasn't and they're the same thing...

Yeah even though I've done many sessions of silicone micro droplets, I do not tell anybody but my family about it. It's really not something to tell the whole world about since you don't want people blindly getting silicone injected to solve their problems. My doctor told me how silicone injections got bad rep from careless doctors injecting cheap industrial grade silicone on their patients, which led to a lot of problems in the future. A lot of people on this forum will only recommend permanent fillers as last resort and that's exactly what I did. I've done multiple treatments of laser, subcision, and microneedling with very little improvement, so this was the last thing on the list for me. But I have to honest though, silicone microdroplets really did change my life drastically. I'm finally moving on with my life since the past 3 years of being completely obsessed with my acne scars. I wouldn't say I look completely normal but more to the point where I'm not bothered by them anymore.

On April 24, 2016 at 2:19 AM, Tadamasa said:

By silicone injections you mean silicone micro droplet right. I've been doing silicone micro droplet treatment for a while now and yeah this treatment is pretty good. Honestly it's the only scar treatment I got that gave my any noticeable improvement. By noticeable I mean really noticeable. Definitely works best on rolling and boxcar. Dang I remember I used to get soo depressed whenever I saw myself in the mirror, but now I kinda feel like a normal human being:smileys_n_people_10:. Anyways I'm glad you got good results. I usually wait 4 weeks between treatments, since it takes atleast 2-3 weeks for the swelling to fully die down. Oh yeah I don't know if your doctor will mind but what I do is I stare at a mirror in terrible lighting and circle all the scars on my face beforehand with a pen. Like I would draw around 10 circles or more. This not only saves the doctor time but it guarantees that every scar that bothers you is treated. I used to get really dissapointed whenever my doctor will completely miss some of the scars that really bothered me, but now he doesn't miss a single one.

Thanks for ur kind words. The doc skipped one scar tht bothers me so much but I swear I felt 1000 injections around tht area so I was too shy to say anything LOL

K

2 minutes ago, Tadamasa said:

Yeah even though I've done many sessions of silicone micro droplets, I do not tell anybody but my family about it. It's really not something to tell the whole world about since you don't want people blindly getting silicone injected to solve their problems. My doctor told me how silicone injections got bad rep from careless doctors injecting cheap industrial grade silicone on their patients, which led to a lot of problems in the future. A lot of people on this forum will only recommend permanent fillers as last resort and that's exactly what I did. I've done multiple treatments of laser, subcision, and microneedling with very little improvement, so this was the last thing on the list for me. But I have to honest though, silicone microdroplets really did change my life drastically. I'm finally moving on with my life since the past 3 years of being completely obsessed with my acne scars. I wouldn't say I look completely normal but more to the point where I'm not bothered by them anymore.

I swear we have the same life story with acne scarring. Nobody even knows how much I obsess over my scars except my family. And yeah I tried everything and in the end I just said fuck it and went for silicone. How much treatments have you done ? Where do u get them done ? I'm happy for you with your results it's always nice to shine some hope

On April 27, 2016 at 0:14 AM, beautifulambition said:

With all respect to the OP, i'm glad they found something that worked for them.

Silicone is BAD! All Permanent Fillers are. Why is it not FDA approved? Do you know what they do when you have any issue with silicone, cut the chunk out of your face. There is no way to dissolve it like HA products, no safety methods. What are you going to do when you get old and your face starts sagging because of fat loss the silicone will move. Biofilms are a real thing, our body does not like nasty substances in them and starts to have a reaction around the filler building pus and infection... that is worse than any acne you could get. Silicone has been known to migrate to other places and "move" around. I read all the horror stories all the time on Real Self. Why are some rating so good... it't not a common procedure, doctors pay off bad reviewers, doctors make you sign papers you will not leave negative reviews after the procedure.  Sometimes years latter you might have issues. Few doctors will do a face lift on those with Silicone. Have you seen the shows like "botched" where they have to remove silicone breasts from women, enough said. It's a nightmare.

Same with Bellefill / Artefill (outlawed in Europe ) who's genius idea was it to put fiberglass balls in the skin, that then move around (migrates) and can cause issues (again they must be cut out). They can remove micro balls from our soaps because it harms the environment, but not our face.  

Dr. Raffy in LA specializes in removal and he calls it cutting out chunks blindly, these people can sped thousands to fix it and never look good after. 

Fat is the only permanent filler I would suggest as it's natural and even then you can get someone who is bad at it and it will be lumpy or overfilled ( you can lipo it). HA is the way to go, get a lump dissolve it, other issue same thing.  

Tranny performers are known to use silicone to plump up areas in their body, do a Google image search for silicone injection problems, and you will see people have lost legs, etc... 

If you must do silicone have them do a test injection by your ear or something, come back months later if things look ok, with micro injections on various planes of skin... you must get many of them $$$$ to not over correct or create large areas (bolluses) that biofilms can cling to.

You do not want permanent results (permanent problems), our face moves, it ages, it changes.  You will not look the same forever. Get something that is correctable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VJTKfm0ebk

Okay first off, thank you for your concern and it's always good to hear the possible side effects of any scar success story. I am aware of these affects and so should anybody else doing this treatment. But that's not going to stop me from giving this treatment a chance. I'm more scared of laser side effects than silicone tbh because it's actually much more common when treating acne scarring. Silicone injected in large amounts would be very risky, so risky I would never think about doing it. But micro droplet technique is more concentrated than let's say lip or cheek augmentation. The majority of the reviews on real self regarding silicone are NOT performed by the micro droplet technique and injected in mass amounts AND done by unprofessionals.

And your misconception of the reviews on real self really reflects how pessimistic you are towards acne scar treatments. Dafuq you mean ppl get paid to delete their reviews and doctors paid them? Of all my treatments I've done, not ONE doctor even mentioned about reviewing them online or asked about my bad reviews I posted. Some even said they don't even check online. I've been to countless derm offices, plastic surgeons and med spas. Why are u going to believe something that is not concrete such as ppl deleting bad reviews and docs paying off clients. You believe in bad results but not the good ones ? What ?! Why?!  Have you ever thought that when ppl get good results they wouldn't be likely to post as opposed to those who get bad results then they want to tell the world about it for warning. Bad results = higher incentive to post.

I have done laser despite my fears of the side effects even cried to my derm on her personal number of my anxiety of things going wrong and I'm the unlucky black sheep that suffered from side effects from TCA cross. But to get results you need to factor in risk. Silicone micro droplet is worth the small risk especially if you tried everything and ur not getting the results you want.

It's sad how we must go through with this trade off but that's how life is.

p.s that video is based on ILLEGAL injections in large amounts that has nothing to do with acne scarring correction. Post things that are actually relevant to this thread addressing acne scarring so its actually debatable

Edited by Harrokitty

Great post!!

From what I understand these doctors are saying that even though Bellafill is not the best option, it's still safer than liquid silicone, right?

I don't really believe that doctors make you sign something because if that was the case, at least on the internet people could use different names to post complaints. And maybe if quantities are minimal then the risks are less than significant, still I wonder if all this silicone-rage and bad publicity isn't funded by those that would have interest in throwing the business down like HA producers or even plastic surgeons/derms that get more money from multiple visits instead of just one and done...

It's a shame there's so little objective published content about this for us to read and learn...

I've done a total of 7 cc, I know it's a lot... I didn't do a full cc every treatment though, my doctor wanted to go slow so most of the times he did 0.5 cc per visit. I think I'm done for now though. I got my treatments done by Dr. Resnik.

1 hour ago, Tadamasa said:

I've done a total of 7 cc, I know it's a lot... I didn't do a full cc every treatment though, my doctor wanted to go slow so most of the times he did 0.5 cc per visit. I think I'm done for now though. I got my treatments done by Dr. Resnik.

Wait, hold up.... 7ccs?????   Are you sure?  Is it possible you mean 0.7cc?  

7ccs of any filler is a tremendous amount of volume.  I can't image you had that much volume loss on your entire face.  This would be an incredibly large amount of silicone injected.   The actual total volume you end up with would be much greater than 7 cc's because silicone causes the body to react and encapsulate it with collagen.   Does your face look significantly fuller?  

The medical grade versions of silicone, like Silikon 1000 which is made by Alcon, is FDA approved however for retinal detachment.  Doctors have the ability to use it off-label to treat other things that are not explicitly approved by the FDA.  It is not approved for injection into the skin, which is why it is used off-label as a filler material.  Botox for example is only approved for certain medical uses and for crow's feet and yet doctors use it just about everywhere on the face.  As long as the product is FDA approved, the law allows doctors to use products in off-label ways when patients give consent.  

Uh oh am I going to die? Yeah each treatment is 2 syringes of 0.5cc. So yes I had a total of 7cc unfortunately... But my doctor recommended 5 treatments when I came in for the first time so it's not that far off. It could've been less but in the beginning I told my doctor to inject wherever he wanted, which wasted silicone on scars that didn't bother me. 

Yeah actually the volume loss on my face was that bad. There is a pretty noticeable difference between before and now. So yeah I guess I can say my face does look noticeably fuller. 

You are right about the overfilling though. There are a few spots which had an overreaction to the silicone and created a larger lump than intended, which is why I understand why. you recommended to go slowly. But it looks better than having deep shadows so I don't mind. The thing is that the overreaction effect happens randomly so it's impossible to predict it, and can potentially mess up your face. For that reason I don't recommend silicone micro droplet.

17 hours ago, Tadamasa said:

First off, I think you'll do fine.    They have used Silikon 1000 in even more substantial volumes for patients with significant fat atrophy like long-term HIV patients.  From what I've read, those patients have done well.  Personally, I think if you inject deeply you will avoid the main issue with permanent fillers, which is visible lumps and bumps.  It could look unaesthetic, but you won't get sick or anything.  Significant complications like the stuff you see in the news is always from black market, industrial silicone injected by shady non-medical people in a back alley, not a doctor's office.  

So are you happy with your final result or you feel uncertain whether to recommend it?   If it was a net positive for you then that's good.  I was just really surprised that it was that much volume.   Like I stated 7 ccs is a lot of filler, and with silicone you have to factor in the collagen production / encapsulation that happens as your body reacts to the silicone.  Anytime you put a foreign substance into the human body it will react and try to "wall-off" the substance.  That's actually what is intended with permanent fillers like silicone and Bellafill.  How much volume is generated is unpredictable, because it's just based on your own physiology.  That's why it's really important to go very slow with permanent fillers because you have to gauge your body's reaction.

My personal advice for anyone going for permanent filler would be to
1)  Be conservative with the volume
2)  Go very slowly because you can't predict your body's reaction and how much volume it will generate
3)  Do not inject ice-pick scars.   Even the Bellafill marketing material explicitly states that you should only inject untethered rolling scars.  The same would apply for silicone.
4)  Maintain strict hygiene in the first 24 hours after injection (no makeup, touching your face) because you want to avoid potential biofilms
5)  Be careful about injecting shallower scars because overcorrection is a distinct possibility.

On 5/3/2016 at 5:10 AM, beautifulambition said:
No offense but I am trying to protect people from making a terrible decision "silicone", thats the only reason I responded. Your body, your choice and all that... I once thought silicone was a miracle but quick fixes never last forever. But hey if it works for you and you are the percentage with no side effects great. The research I did was terrible and the results bad for even micro injections. Foreign body in your body and nothing they can do but cut. Tell me where silicone is in the body naturally. Second silicone is made from oil / Patroleum the same shit they have to clean when there is massive spills. It's not like we don't have acne issues and aren't immune comprised for foreign body / topicals. Do you know Silicone was used in the 60s / 70s in Hollywood's famous faces with tons of issues, some had to cake on that makeup.  I seemed to hit  a nerve with the OP who wants her decision to be right and I am very happy it worked for her, but it is a gamble like going to Vegas. Hell they have a face transfer from a cadaver if someone wants perfect skin. When someone can give me a official medical aesthetics white paper stating Silicone is the golden ticket, then I will listen. I have seen the complications , who here has studied all of them??? OP Silicone travels, it migrates, you inject micro and it can move anywhere, we age and our skin moves and changes. Someone who is knowledgeable and not just giving their personal opinion tell me about biofilms / surface area / and the body / and Silicone. But it's micro like those beads in Artefill / now Bellafill that has a 10% approval rating from all the botched faces. It is sad I have to say this but Bellafill would be less risky than Silicone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3396457/

Marvin Rapaport is liquid silicone's most outspoken critic. He is adamant that the substance has the potential for great harm. Rapaport is not alone in his concerns; many cases have been reported in medical journals, documenting complications such as chronic cellulitis (inflammation of connective tissue), nodules or ulcers, and infections, occurring anywhere from 2 to 35 years after the injection. In the past, "whenever a patient showed side effects from silicone injections," wrote Rapaport in an editorial for Dermatological Surgery, "it was argued it was the wrong amount, the wrong material, or the wrong practitioner."

A New York patient named Tricia believes that the silicone fluid, the technique, and the amount used were all correct in her case. In late 1991, when she was 33 years old, Tricia consulted a doctor about a small pockmark on the side of her nose. The Park Avenue dermatologist injected the blemish with a drop of medical-grade, liquid silicone. Then he offered her silicone for her laugh lines. She still recalls his words. "You'll stay looking young for a long time."

A month later, she went back for more, and would have returned for a third round, had the FDA not banned liquid injectable silicone. Two years afterward, the injected side of Tricia's nose began growing, and raised bumps appeared in her laugh lines. Tricia went to a plastic surgeon, who told her this was a reaction to the silicone, and that Tricia had little recourse, since silicone is almost impossible to remove. Instead, he built up the uninjected side of her nose with cartilage from her ear to balance the nostrils. "Can you imagine making your nose larger, on purpose?" Tricia says, stupefied. After continued inflammation in the silicon-treated nostril, another doctor tried inserting it to smooth out the bumps. That nostril started shrinking, which looked even stranger. As for the lumps in her laugh lines, a fourth doctor told her nothing could he done for them. "So, where others have a crease, I have a raised line," Tricia says. "How do you camouflage bumps with makeup? I just want to hide my face."

Too many women are rushing into injections without exploring the possible risks, says Diane Madfes, a New York dermatologist. Nothing illustrates this more vividly than the rise in silicone parties hosted by itinerant injectors. "There are women who would stuff a Vuitton bag in their face if someone said it was permanent," says dermatologist Arnold Klein, who predicts the widespread availability and use of permanent fillers "will be a disaster."

Doctor Answers 2

Migration of silicone injections

July 25th, 2012
 +1 

Silicone and other permanent fillers may migrate after years of subcutaneous presence. I would recommend evaluation by an experience plastic surgeon who can help control the inflammatory cycle associated with silicone injections.

Web reference: http://karemd.com/cosmetic-dermatology/34/lip-silicone-removal.aspx
DR Raffy Karamanoukian (Filler Removal Expert)

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

@templeofdoom Fat can last a lifetime, people like most procedures want quick fixes. When you loose fat it can go away, gain fat it can goto other areas. Fat is incremental, meaning only a portion will survive , the body will absorb and get rid of the rest. You need multiple treatments, not a one off. That puffyness will be gone otherwise. If you put too much you can have a chunky face, some doctors do this as they know some will be gone. You need a specialist in this, look at his past pictures and ask "how many procedures do I need to achieve that. Why don't more doctors do fat... You have to lipo it from elsewhere. It takes a expert injection or it will look lumpy and uneven. Fillers make them so much more money Cha Ching $$$$ time for a top up.  People do not want to do multiple procedures over years time and instead inject and be done. As we age we loose fat permanent or not. Drs do not want to guarantee something that has different results, in one it may last longer than another. Nothing permanent or not lasts over 10 years with how the face changes as we age. Watch Dr. Lams Youtube on Fat Transfer. Personally I only use HA fillers because they are reversible but PMMA suture based materials which last longer are also a option. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvz--nkj1Yk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oZndjMJmdQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S22Rqw97Smw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veyJWYAYri8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcPuht5aNJ8
Looks like the 'permanent' fillers are not worth it. What's your experience with HA fillers? Do they get rid of rolling/tethered scars 100% while they last?

WHAAT! This thread is freaking me out. On the one hand, I'm really psyched to hear from the OP & people who've had good results that they're happy with. There's so much hopelessness among our unfortunate little club of scar sufferers that no matter what treatment, it gives me hope!

BUT, I have never before heard that silicone microdroplets are dangerous. I once had filler (temp, HA) which didn't help all that much. At the time, my derm mentioned they could eventually very slowly do "silicone microdroplets" as a permanent option if I reacted well to the filler - are we talking about the same thing? Was he bringing up something not FDA approved and dangerous?

At present I'm considering other avenues, but I was keeping this in the back of my mind as a potential option. Now I'm not so sure. Sidenote how do I tag someone with out quoting their whole post? I'm used to Twitter I keep typing the @ symbol but it does something weird and says "undefined"

Honestly, at this point I am starting to see results from other stuff, less dangerous stuff. In about ten years, if Bellafil is still FDA approved with very low complication rate then I'll consider it. I won't do it before that, if ever. Honestly, it's knowing that I can ultimately resort to that treatment that pulls me up on bad, hopelessness felling days.

Hey just an update, 

after more than 6 months my acne scars on my cheeks have SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. I don't even care about my scarring anymore as I'm more concerned about texture issues and hyper pigmentation. So now I'm going for IPL . 

That is all. 

I thought the silicon can move in your face. Looks amazing at first but either shifts or the weight makes your face droop. Bellafill from what I understand causes your own collagen to form around the microdroplets. But with silicon its always physically there and that seems to be the problem. Especially if your face around the silicon injection changes as you get older but the injected area does not.

@healing2.0 You are correct and a ton of other side effects. Notice after all these years few doctors will touch the stuff.
This was covered above ^ and in the FAQ under fillers and the filler link (first post of the acne scar sub). We cannot change what people want to do to themselves, only warn. Bellafill, while I understand has been hugely beneficial to you I would hold off (in general) until one has a history of success with HA injections and liking how they look / what it does. HA is absorb able and naturally found in the body, Bellafill is forever and must be cut out if any mistakes, etc... It's a option. HA is something safer to jump into.

I would only use bellafill once you know you are at the end of the road of all other treatments so as little as possible can be used. Its supposedly 20% microbeads and 80% your own collagen. There are also areas my doctor refused to put it.

Still after 1.5 years and almost all of my large boxcar scars are gone Puhaha. I’ll update in maybe two years again. But I have small ice picks and bad texture that’s bothering me now .. hmmmm still deciding what to do with those issues that 

On 11/21/2017 at 8:34 AM, Hi.kkkkkkkkk said:

Still after 1.5 years and almost all of my large boxcar scars are gone Puhaha. I’ll update in maybe two years again. But I have small ice picks and bad texture that’s bothering me now .. hmmmm still deciding what to do with those issues that 

C'mon, show us your radiant beauty, girl !