Notifications
Clear all

minocycline = feeling extremely sick ??

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 04/21/2016 2:43 pm

Hello, I've been on 100mg minocycline twice a day since late February. I've heard of people not feeling well on certain antibiotics, but I've been sick almost non-stop for what feels like forever. I don't know if this is related to the medication, because I feel like this started before I began taking mino, but I'm not entirely sure. I think if this is something unrelated to the minocycline that it could be making whatever it is worse? I keep getting horrible waves of nausea, that usually last for a few hours but goes away for a while so I'm able to eat at some point in the day. They're really unpredictable. It's not like it happens only after I take the medication, because I could be okay all day until like 6:00pm and I have a nausea attack. But, last night around 9:00pm I started feeling nauseous. I could barely get off of the bathroom floor, and when I finally was able to get a spot on the couch it was nearly midnight, but the nausea hasn't let up since. It's now almost 3:00pm and I haven't really been able to eat today. I'm scared of getting malnourished because I haven't been able to eat well at all within the last few months. I feel really faint, extremely nauseous, tired, and I feel like my heart is beating very rapidly, my mouth is also very watery. I've heard of people having a bad experience with mino, but I've never heard of someone feeling this terrible for this long. Could this be caused by the medication, and should I be concerned? I know taking medical advice from the internet isn't the best idea, but my mother seems kind of reluctant to take me in and if I get her to take me in to see my doctor I don't want it to be for nothing. ):

and by the way in case anyone wants to know:

- I do drink antibiotic drinks with the minocycline

- I try to eat a little bit with the medication to prevent nausea but it doesn't seem to change anything

MemberMember
(@dynamicwok)

Posted : 04/22/2016 10:26 am

200mg a day is a really big dose, I'd suggest you visit your prescribing doctor as soon as possible (or a GP if that's quicker) as minocycline can have some serious side-effects. Minocycline can cause some nausea right after you take it, but this shouldn't be happening with food and because it seems to appear randomly this might be a serious reaction to the medication or something completely unrelated, in either case you should visit your physician

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 04/22/2016 10:30 pm

Minocycline is far more likely to cause diarrhea than nausea. It could be the medication but it's hard to know without stopping. Call your doctor first before stopping.
I hate to make an assumption about your vegan user name but it could be a food, or supplement your taking.
By the way, how is your acne improving?

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@exning)

Posted : 04/23/2016 1:06 pm

Go to your doctor to be sure. Asking on the boards, youll get all sorts of information.
In my experience, antibiotics really ruined my gut. I can no longer eat any wheat, and probiotics didnt really help. Over time, its gone back to normal with some really strict eating (im vegan as well). Antibiotics kill bad AND good bacteria, so if youre feeling was before, it could just be making it worse. Have you gotten a full panel blood test to make sure you arent vitamin deficient or something else being the culprit? Good luck to ya!

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 04/23/2016 2:51 pm

On 4/21/2016 at 3:43 PM, DesperateVegan said:

Hello, I've been on 100mg minocycline twice a day since late February.  I've heard of people not feeling well on certain antibiotics, but I've been sick almost non-stop for what feels like forever. I don't know if this is related to the medication, because I feel like this started before I began taking mino, but I'm not entirely sure. I think if this is something unrelated to the minocycline that it could be making whatever it is worse? I keep getting horrible waves of nausea, that usually last for a few hours but goes away for a while so I'm able to eat at some point in the day. They're really unpredictable. It's not like it happens only after I take the medication, because I could be okay all day until like 6:00pm and I have a nausea attack. But, last night around 9:00pm I started feeling nauseous. I could barely get off of the bathroom floor, and when I finally was able to get a spot on the couch it was nearly midnight, but the nausea hasn't let up since. It's now almost 3:00pm and I haven't really been able to eat today. I'm scared of getting malnourished because I haven't been able to eat well at all within the last few months. I feel really faint, extremely nauseous, tired, and I feel like my heart is beating very rapidly, my mouth is also very watery. I've heard of people having a bad experience with mino, but I've never heard of someone feeling this terrible for this long. Could this be caused by the medication, and should I be concerned? I know taking medical advice from the internet isn't the best idea, but my mother seems kind of reluctant to take me in and if I get her to take me in to see my doctor I don't want it to be for nothing. ): 

and by the way in case anyone wants to know:

- I do drink antibiotic drinks with the minocycline 

- I try to eat a little bit with the medication to prevent nausea but it doesn't seem to change anything 

Wow, that sounds bad! Usually nausea subsides as your body gets used to the drug, but a little sour stomach feeling especially in the morning is normal. My son had reduced appetite for the first few weeks or so of minocycline but he was eating normally after awhile. If the meds are making you this sick and for this long, I'd tell your doctor right away and either have them lower your dose or get put on something else. Does your insurance cover Dynacin?? Dynacin is name brand minocycline, but the difference is you can take Dynacin with food which is gentler on the stomach. Generic minocycline must be taken on an empty stomach with no food for at least an hour after (and no dairy/calcium for at least 2 hours after) which can be very hard when dealing with nausea. Taking mino with food can make it easier to stomach the meds, but it won't work as well, which is why some people don't see the results. Speaking of results, are you seeing any? How well is the mino working for your acne?

BTW, good you're drinking a probiotic drink with the mino, this will help minimize GI issues like diarrhea. Just be sure you're waiting about 2 hours after taking mino. 

Hope you feel better soon and keep us posted! :)

(btw any possibility you're pregnant?? just something I thought of. if you're a guy, my apologies!)

MemberMember
(@desperatevegan)

Posted : 04/25/2016 2:39 pm

On April 23, 2016 at 10:30 PM, acnehardcase said:

Minocycline is far more likely to cause diarrhea than nausea. It could be the medication but it's hard to know without stopping. Call your doctor first before stopping. 
I hate to make an assumption about your vegan user name but it could be a food, or supplement your taking.
By the way, how is your acne improving?

I don't take supplements. I drink an all natural probiotic drink and that's the only thing I've changed in my diet recently. 

My skin has improved so much. I mostly have redness and a few small breakouts sometimes but I haven't had an actual cystic breakout in so long. I'm scared of how my skin will react when I get off the minocycline. 

On April 23, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Exning said:

Go to your doctor to be sure. Asking on the boards, youll get all sorts of information.
In my experience, antibiotics really ruined my gut. I can no longer eat any wheat, and probiotics didnt really help. Over time, its gone back to normal with some really strict eating (im vegan as well). Antibiotics kill bad AND good bacteria, so if youre feeling was before, it could just be making it worse. Have you gotten a full panel blood test to make sure you arent vitamin deficient or something else being the culprit? Good luck to ya!

Yes and my doctor says everything looks good. I'm not deficient on anything and I'm healthier than ever. And I don't think the antibiotics are really hurting my digestion like a lot of people experience. It's been about the same and I don't know what to do to feel better. 

On April 23, 2016 at 2:51 PM, DeLovely said:
Wow, that sounds bad! Usually nausea subsides as your body gets used to the drug, but a little sour stomach feeling especially in the morning is normal. My son had reduced appetite for the first few weeks or so of minocycline but he was eating normally after awhile. If the meds are making you this sick and for this long, I'd tell your doctor right away and either have them lower your dose or get put on something else. Does your insurance cover Dynacin?? Dynacin is name brand minocycline, but the difference is you can take Dynacin with food which is gentler on the stomach. Generic minocycline must be taken on an empty stomach with no food for at least an hour after (and no dairy/calcium for at least 2 hours after) which can be very hard when dealing with nausea. Taking mino with food can make it easier to stomach the meds, but it won't work as well, which is why some people don't see the results. Speaking of results, are you seeing any? How well is the mino working for your acne?

BTW, good you're drinking a probiotic drink with the mino, this will help minimize GI issues like diarrhea. Just be sure you're waiting about 2 hours after taking mino. 

Hope you feel better soon and keep us posted! :)

(btw any possibility you're pregnant?? just something I thought of. if you're a guy, my apologies!)

Every time I try to look up my symptoms everything points to me being pregnant but there's absolutely no chance of that. I've been taking the minocycline with food this entire time and it's still been working great (my doctor even says it's okay). I mostly have some redness left and I do still get small breakouts, but not cystic breakouts like I used to. I think I mostly just have some healing left to do. 

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 04/25/2016 3:41 pm

1 hour ago, DesperateVegan said:
I don't take supplements. I drink an all natural probiotic drink and that's the only thing I've changed in my diet recently. 

My skin has improved so much. I mostly have redness and a few small breakouts sometimes but I haven't had an actual cystic breakout in so long. I'm scared of how my skin will react when I get off the minocycline. 
Yes and my doctor says everything looks good. I'm not deficient on anything and I'm healthier than ever. And I don't think the antibiotics are really hurting my digestion like a lot of people experience. It's been about the same and I don't know what to do to feel better. 
Every time I try to look up my symptoms everything points to me being pregnant but there's absolutely no chance of that. I've been taking the minocycline with food this entire time and it's still been working great (my doctor even says it's okay). I mostly have some redness left and I do still get small breakouts, but not cystic breakouts like I used to. I think I mostly just have some healing left to do. 

Glad to hear your skin is improving!!!!! :) So at least you're not doing all this for nothing. I'd still ask your doctor about Dynacin...works the same as mino but gentler on the stomach and you can eat whenever you feel like it. Not all insurances will cover it, though (ours didn't). Glad it's still working well for you though even with food, that's great!