Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keeger

Another Accutane Journal

Heres a little update.. its day 2, and i have only taken 2 pills so far.. I seem to have a slight headache, anyone else experience this so early in the treatment??  No other side effects yet.. eyes felt a little dry at work today, but who knows if it has anything to do with the accutane.  Someone please give me some insight to the whole headache thing  eusa_wall.gif

greetings keeger,

good job time flies when your acne is clearing! Umm ive been readin all of your journal and hope you get clear and never break out again, especially the bacne. I just got 2 cysts on my back and tried to do squats at the gym, and damn that hurt. I can't imagine with any more then that... keep it up. One more question, u mentioned u worked out right? after you work out or run do u get muscle weakness or sore tendons?  - stan

hey i am hoping to workout while i am on my accutane as well, i am in good shape and like you work out 6 days a week doing cardio and free weights.....

i am encouraged by the fact you can still work out without any problems

any other side effects?

kewl, i would say other than the new pimple i got which seem to be healing and some blotchy skin , which will go away, i can't tell either...my eyes are drier than my lips ironically enough

March 8th, 2005

Just got back from my new derm, she was much more involved with me than my old one. My old one moved to another location. This one tried to get into what she was doing a little more it seemed.. rather than just telling me to take the pills. biggrin.gif

Anyways, my right shoulder is looking better (knock on wood). The left is looking pretty bad, but I'm hoping it gets better soon. I hope my body clears up soon! The warm weather is on the way!

This new derm put me on brand name Accutane, and said I should go at least 2 more months, the only problem being I have no more insurance as of March 31st, cause I'm not a student. She gave me 1 month, and scheduled me again in 3 weeks for one last blood test, and hopefully I can get 1 more month of Accutane (crossing my fingers). She said she thinks brand name accutane seems to work better. It costs 20 dollars after insurance.

I honestly hope my skin clears soon. I should have started long before I did, and if I hadn't been such a wimp, I would be almost done, or done a while ago with my treatment, instead of maybe not being able to finish it all.

Once again, good luck everyone! cool.gif

March 10th, 2005

Today I bought some Ayr saline nasal mist, because my nose has been so dry, and crusty, and bloody.. The blood never comes out of my nose, but if i stick a kleenex up it, blood is on it nearly everytime. I've also been waking up in the morning with really crusty nostrils. I've normally just put aquaphor in my nose, but the mist can go all the way in, so hopefully it will help, I'll keep you updated.

On a side note, muscle/joint pains are becoming more noticable.

I have actually been thinking about it, and I really don't mind Accutane at all, I can't believe I was ever afraid of it. There is nothing to be afraid of! The side effects are made out to be so horrible, but in reality, it's not hard to handle at all. You just keep up with lotion, and keeping your lips moist, sometimes put some eye drops in, and you never would even know your on it! eusa_dance.gif

Anyways, tomorrow is my last day of Claravis, then I start brand name Accutane! eusa_dance.gif

March 11th, 2005

Since using Ayr, everytime I have blown my nose, no blood! Hopefully it continues to work! eusa_pray.gif

March 13th, 2005

Well I haven't been using my nose spray as much as I should, so my nose has been a little dry.. My fault. eusa_angel.gif

I started brand name Accutane yesterday, and I have gotten a couple headaches, kind of like when I started Claravis, but not as bad. Anyways, not a big deal.

The last couple days I have been lifting weights, and I'm quite sore. I don't know if it's cause I pushed my self harder than usual, or if I never lift, but my muscles hurt a lot more. I'm gonna keep at it though, maybe everything will stop hurting so much after I get used to it.

March 18th, 2005

4 months done. Forehead is still kind of breaking out, i got a white head right now, and a couple red marks.

I got a couple big ones on my back.

Are my zits ever going to stop??

I swear I am still slightly oily too. Mainly on my forehead.

Anyways.. I wish my insurance wasn't about to drop me.. Then I could keep taking Accutane and maybe even up my dose. Upping my dose seems pointless in my last month. doubt.gif

My sister is a model who once went on Accutane, and she also found that it dried out her hair. She solved this using a trick that apparently all models do most of the time, and that's the following: after your evening shower, dry your hair with a towel, then lather just conditioner, Herbal Essence is best, into your hair. Wrap your head in a towel like a turban and go to bed like this, so the conditioner soaks into your hair overnight. (Do this every night regardless of how often you otherwise shampoo/condition your hair.) An extremely effective alternative to the conditioner is to go to a health food store and buy "Virgin Coconut Oil" (it costs no more than any commercial shampoo/conditioner), which has the added benefit of being very soothing and moisturizing for the scalp. Massage this instead of the conditioner into your dried hair after your evening shower, wrap your head in the towel-turban, then go to sleep and wash it out of your hair in the morning. If you do this nightly, then you can still wash your hair 1-2 times a day instead of just once every 4 days, and you will even find your friends complimenting you on your exceptionally youthful and vibrant-looking hair.

I have found washing my hair to be an issue.  I can only wash it every 4 days or so or else it gets really dry and looks like crap.  This is amazing considering I would have to wash my hair at least every other day before because my scalp would get oily and itchy.  I still shower, everyday just about - but when im getting really dry, I only 'wash' the essentials rather than my whole body.  I too, use the dove moisture bar.  just make sure to moisturize your whole body after getting out of the shower.  I don't have the same dryness all over like you do - but I still moisturize as often as I can.  Good luck!

March 29th, 2005 -- Please read doubt.gif

Current Acne:

Still breaking out

Got a couple new big ones on my back, forehead still breaking out with a couple small ones every couple days. Red marks still all over my back. My forehead still seems to get slightly oily

--------------------------------

I'm pretty down right now. I'm going to the derm in a couple of hours for most likely my final blood test, and HOPEFULLY (Crossing my fingers) getting one final month supply of Accutane. My insurance doesn't cover me anymore as of the 1st of april, so either I'm done in like 2 weeks, or a month in 2 weeks.

I have concerns of whether or not I was giving a big enough dose for my treatment. I am on 80mg/day and have been for my entire treatment, and I weigh 185 pounds. I have seen people that weigh like 30 pounds less than me on 80mg.

My old derm was really not very talkative, my new derm seems to want to help me a little more, but I have only seen her once, and after today I wont see her for a while. I was never weighed when I went on Accutane.

I'm halfway through my 4th month, and Have only had a couple breaks in my breakouts. I still get some big ones on my back, and the back of my neck, and some small ones on my forehead. I thought that when you were on Accutane you were supposed to produce almost no oil, but my forehead can get slightly greasy.

This is just so frustrating because I thought by now I would be clear. And now, I can't continue, even though I'm not clear, just because my Mom's insurance wont cover me. I thought for sure I was going to be able to hang out outside this summer with my shirt off.

I'll give you guys an update when I get back from the derm.

Hey Keeger. As you might know, I had to get off of Accutane after 3 months. I was starting to break out and my skin just looked like shit in general. I was feeling pretty hopeless. I started Septra shortly after and the cysts I was getting have gone already. Everything also looks so much better now that the redness is going. It's a really cheap prescription, too. I was surprised. Maybe you could take the same route. Hang in there. I know how you feel. I've felt the same.

Paul

Paul:

I read that you had stopped.. Sorry to hear that man. I hope you are feeling better now, glad to hear your skin is doing better. cool.gif

As for me, it is now March 30th, 2005. I WAS able to get another month of Accutane out of my Mom's insurance provider. Now on April 1st I will be on my Dad's insurance, hopefully I will be able to keep going on Accutane as long as it takes, but who knows how much it will cost. confused.gif

My derm said she definitely wanted another month (That being the month that I just picked up) and possibly one more.. We'll see.

5 months done a while ago.. I'm now well into my sixth month. April 18th was 5 months. Went to the derm yesterday, she said that I should be on my final month now. I have a weird raized scar on my back she might inject with some cortisone next time I see her. I can't believe I've almost been on Accutane for half a year!

My current acne situation is as follows:

Forehead gets a couple new ones once in a while.

Back has a lot of redmarks all over my shoulders, still getting a couple every now and then.

Face and neck doing well.. (knock on wood)

I am not completely oil free, but it is a million times better then it used to be.

Still on 80mg/day.

I have been hitting the weights real good lately, and I am not any more sore then normal. The only time I can even tell I am on Accutane is when I get out of the shower and my skin is dry, but after I lotion up, I can't even tell!

May 18th will be the end of my 6th month, then I should be doing one final 7th month, unless my derm sees a need for another one, which I wouldnt really mind. biggrin.gif

Here is a little update.. The derm said she thinks this will be my last month, lets see what happens. I picked up my supply, and I'm now on my dad's crappy insurance now. Brand name Accutane costed us almost $200, when it used to cost us $20. So now my parents say that this HAS to be my final month.. So hopefully the derm is ok with that.

Well it's June 20th, I stopped taking Accutane yesterday I think.. I have about 10 days of it left, but im tired of taking it, and my mood is so crappy I stopped early. My doc said it was okay about half a month ago if I don't want to take any more.

As for breakouts:

(Crossing fingers) I dont want to jynx myself.

Back still has redmarks, but hardly gets any breakouts anymore.. I hope it continues to get better.

Forehead isnt really breaking out anymore.. I hope it continues to get better too!

Face has been clear for a loooooong time. Again, I hope it stays this way.

------

I will continue to update with anything new after stopping

----

On the news they had a doctor saying that a lot of people say that accutane doesnt cause depresssion.. I don't know about that one, but it certainly doesnt help.. Unless your only depression is your acne, then you will be happy! biggrin.gif

July 17, 2005

Well its almost been a month off of Accutane.

Skin is still doing good, except my oil is coming back cry.gif

I havent needed chapstick for a long time.

I have like 2 blemishes on my face right now, and of course red marks are still pretty visible on my back.

I miss having skin that wasnt oily at all cry.gif

I have some differin gel the doc gave me to help dry up my face.. But I am scared it is just going to make my skin dry, but it will still be oily, and red. Anyone ever have differin after Accutane?

The oil isnt as bad as before Accutane, but it gets worse by the day.. Depression isnt really around anymore.

I still put lotion where I am scared I will break out, but my skin really isnt that dry.

yeah i know what you mean, ive got maybe a month left on accutane. ill definately be off of it by the end of aug before college and im scared. im so worried about my acne on my back coming back and its so nice to have a crystal clear face and a good complextion. my hair is never dirty now too which is awsome. accutane is wonderful and i dont want to ever give it up eusa_naughty.gifsad.gif

hey vrg biggrin.gif

I wouldnt worry about the acne coming back very much. I should have probably gone another month or 2, and my back is still not getting any really.. Just red marks left. And I totally know what you mean by the dirty hair thing.. Accutane should be safer and have less side effects so we can be on it indefinitely cool.gif