Notifications
Clear all

Good foundation to cover acne marks?

MemberMember
(@facialdream25)

Posted : 04/19/2016 10:59 am

RIght now i'm using clinique stay matte makeup and it has decent coverage but it doesn't completely cover my red marks, i can still see several of them. Does anyone know of a makeup to cover red marks better? (I have fair & oily skin btw)

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 04/19/2016 12:14 pm

If you are looking for an affordable alternative I love Revlon Colorstay for Oily/Combo skin. Keeps your face matte and is a full coverage foundation.

I'd say that foundation does a great job of hiding a lot of flaws. But it you like your clinique foundation maybe you can consider just a concealer for those hard to cover marks.

MemberMember
(@ugurl)

Posted : 04/19/2016 10:35 pm

If you don't mind the price tag, Kat Von D makes a pretty dang good foundation. Her make up line is geared towards those who want to cover up tattoos and with a 21% pigment, the Kat Von D Tattoo is one of the best foundations out there in you want major coverage. It is $34. I tried it and had to return it for the simple fact that my skin was acting really strange and SUPER dry, and that doesn't really mesh well when you're applying a foundation with that much pigment. But my skin was flaky and patchy in parts and you may not have the same problem. If you do, I now use the Make Up forever HD foundation which is a lot more liquidy than the KVD and doesn't settle in my dry patches it just glides right over them and covers them up, and if you moisturize beforehand,  it is amazing! It is however $39, Neither of these foundations is exactly cheap, but if you want FULL coverage, these are my two favs. 

This is everything that I use, in the order that I use it from left to right. Please excuse the mess in the background, it's cleaning day and I'm on acne.org lol. Left to right, The Smashbox orange color correcting stick. Color correctors are available in a handful of shades and all address different ailments of the skin. Green to cancel out redness, purple to brighten the skin etc...The orange cancels out the brown/purple in the scars and makes it easier to cover them up. Next I go over the area I applied the corrector and apply either the time balm concealer which is a bit pricy or the Rimmel perfect match concealer. I like the rimmel one a lot better. It gives really great coverage and glides on smoothly. Next is my MUFE foundation, this is a build able foundation so you can add more if you need more coverage but normally one pump is enough for the whole face. Then I set everything with a makeup setting spray. This is a crucial step because you can do your make up perfectly at home but you go out and the elements take their toll, so the setting spray keeps everything in its place. Now this routine isn't something I do every day. Some days I leave out the corrector and concealer, and just rock foundation. it's up to you though. There are some products I didn't include, make sure you invest in a good moisturizer!! you want your face to be hydrated and smooth before you put anything on it. You can also get a primer if you want, but I don't really use those much anymore. IMG_5505.thumb.jpg.7e09287d90a7376f2a224

I'm sorry if this was a lot of information, I just totally understand the struggle of acne scar coverage! Please message me if you have any other questions. Also, PS: There are tons of GREAT acne coverage tutorials on youtube!!

MemberMember
(@pinkpeppermint)

Posted : 04/20/2016 4:12 pm

i use estee lauder double wear. honestly one layer is pretty good but if you want fool proof application you should go over it again. i feel like the formulation is amazing to be piled (just not too much of course)

MemberMember
(@jkaur401)

Posted : 04/20/2016 7:40 pm

I used to use Estee lauder double wear and it provided amazing coverage!! I highly recommend it.

MemberMember
(@facialdream25)

Posted : 04/20/2016 8:39 pm

On 4/19/2016 at 11:14 AM, nicmic62 said:

If you are looking for an affordable alternative I love Revlon Colorstay for Oily/Combo skin. Keeps your face matte and is a full coverage foundation.

I'd say that foundation does a great job of hiding a lot of flaws. But it you like your clinique foundation maybe you can consider just a concealer for those hard to cover marks.

I used to use that make-up before i switched over, i didn't think it had good coverage and it didn't stay on long. I'm trying to find a cheaper foundation since that clinique is 25$, i'm searching online for suggestions. Some people suggest loreal true match or neutrogena shine control. I'm thinking i need to get a primer and concealer since i do not have one now, maybe those will help

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 04/22/2016 3:40 pm

I use Estee Lauder double wear foundation and it is good. It does a good job of covering, but I guess like your one, some of the darker marks show through. I have heard that the camouflage version in the same line (I guess it's called double wear camouflage or something similar) is incredible. The reviews for it are really great - I was going to get it myself but I have loads of my regular one to use up and I'm broke :( 

MemberMember
(@gg17)

Posted : 04/22/2016 5:05 pm

Estee Lauder double wear!! ive tried somany but thats the one ive had the most success with! for me it lasts all day too :) 

MemberMember
(@pinkpeppermint)

Posted : 04/23/2016 6:00 am

14 hours ago, WittySock said:

I use Estee Lauder double wear foundation and it is good. It does a good job of covering, but I guess like your one, some of the darker marks show through. I have heard that the camouflage version in the same line (I guess it's called double wear camouflage or something similar) is incredible. The reviews for it are really great - I was going to get it myself but I have loads of my regular one to use up and I'm broke :( 

i have heard amazing things about the camouflage version too. i hope it is more moisturising than the normal one coz i am in accutane at the moment

MemberMember
(@pinkpeppermint)

Posted : 04/24/2016 8:23 am

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 8:40 AM, WittySock said:

i am interested too but i am saving up. now i am on accutane i found that my skin tends to get red more and it shows up even when i am the foundation lol. i tend to reapply now i am on accutane.

MemberMember
(@hopeless87)

Posted : 04/24/2016 11:08 pm

i actually just apply a lighter foundation and then apply hard candy glamoflauge concealer on red marks. stuff is amazing. and cheap. i think they only sell it at walmart tho
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hard-Candy-Glamoflauge-Heavy-Duty-Concealer-with-Concealer-Pencil/21472874?reviews_limit=10&

MemberMember
(@patienceisvirtue)

Posted : 05/11/2016 7:23 pm

On 4/19/2016 at 11:14 AM, nicmic62 said:

I just have quick question about your routine so when you use Revlon colorstay foundation, do you use a brush ? if u do what type of brush do you use? Im aware that its rlly important to let the BP and moisturizer dry before u apply makeup and Im just concerned that if you apply foundation with a brush, is there a possibility that you are mixing the regimen along with the foundation more so like moving it from your face and there is high chance that you might break out because of it.

MemberMember
(@scdigm)

Posted : 05/16/2016 4:33 am

i have oily skin. i use Estee lauder double wear foundation. its very good coverage and it doesnt clog my pores like other foundation ive tried

MemberMember
(@malevolence)

Posted : 05/18/2016 9:33 pm

You should use a concealer. I use the Murad Acne Treatment Concealer. They sell it at Ulta.

MemberMember
(@darth_doxie)

Posted : 05/21/2016 2:32 pm

I've tried a million different brands of makeup for coverage. Cheap OTC to expensive spend-my-whole-paycheck top of the line, all with varying results. But for years now I've been using Mary Kay. It's affordable and it's the only thing I've found that's not only a great color match, but it comes in super light coverage to full coverage and best of all it doesn't clog my pores or make me breakout! More than usual anyways, lol! I use their CC cream foundation all over for light coverage, their concealer for major problem areas and blend it all in well, then I set it with their mineral powder (which IMO, is way better than Bare Minerals). If I don't have anything major to cover I just use the mineral powder and it is wonderful at covering scarring and any discoloration. Of course you can't just go to the store and buy Mary Kay, but it's still really easy to find since there are consultants EVERYWHERE! Just go to the Mary Kay website to find one in your area. The skin care products aren't too bad either depending on the type of acne you have. I use some of them. But I mostly mix and match brands to meet my needs. Like I said though, it's affordable and I've had a lot of success with covering scars, discoloration and redness. Maybe worth trying? You could always have a free Mary Kay party and try before you buy too!

MemberMember
(@noemiiiir)

Posted : 05/21/2016 5:04 pm

try COVER FX custom cover drops! u just add some drops into ur foundation and mix. it works great!!!! it is pricey tho but it's my fav when i'm really trying to cover up my scars. my other favs i use at the moment are make up forever mat velvet + and becca evermatte foundation
Ive tried Kat von D, tarte, and other full coverage foundations but they all made my skin feel so thick

MemberMember
(@annas29)

Posted : 03/13/2017 1:37 pm

What works best for me is my hydrating cream HYDREANE LIGHT of La Roche Posay and then my Clinique anti-blemish solutions foundation  (very good for acne prone skins) which I always apply with a foundation brush. I also tried a lot of products, you have to see what works for your skin. I hope that helps you! :) 

MemberMember
(@megmarsh)

Posted : 03/28/2017 10:28 am

Hi, I use Clinique 2 in 1 beyond perfecting foundation and concealer with sephora's smoothing setting powder, it does a pretty good job at hiding everything and it doesn't irritate my skin ^_^