Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl peroxide/Clindamycin phosphate treatment not as effective?

MemberMember
(@rx-queen)

Posted : 04/18/2016 10:07 am

Hello!

my acne is back with a vengeance so I've joined this community looking for some advice until I can get in with my doctor. I am currently taking benzoyl peroxide 10% and clindamycin phosphate gel (it is a generic brand). I apply these two topicals together and use right before bed. I have been on this same medication for the past 8 years. It was the only thing that would keep me clear. I also took monocycline with it but felt like it didn't do much so I stopped taking it. I started taking it a few days ago to see if it would clear me back up. My skin has been breaking out worse than normal for the past month. I've tried simplifying my skincare routine and I only use professional brands. I noticed my neck and jaw area, where my breakouts are the worst, was extremely dry. Now I'm moisturizing after my Bp/clindamycin at night and they seems to fix the dryness but I'm still getting awful break outs. On top of all of this, they are leaving behind vibrant red marks, so my skin looks worse than it really is.

So, my question is, is it possible for topical acne meds to just stop working after this many years? What are my other options? I'm considering Accutane at this point.

thank you in advance for reading!

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 04/18/2016 7:51 pm

Antibiotics can certainly lose there effectiveness over time. Benzoyl peroxide and topical retinoids don't.
If it's severe enough, accutane is a good choice. Oral antibiotics can help get it under control before switching to topicals only.
My advice is to stay compliant with the treatment and follow your doctors orders.