Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone advice

MemberMember
(@likelytempo)

Posted : 04/18/2016 9:40 am

Hi there...
I could really use some advice. I'm almost 40 and so sick and tired of my skin. I have been on Orthocyclen for over a year and 75 mg of Spironolactone since June. I have great months and rough months with my skin. An endocrinologist diagnosed PCOS. I also have endometriosis. I'm in the midst of a breakout AGAIN and ready to lose it. I saw my derm this am and he recommended increasing from 75mg to 100mg. I am terrified of making things worse, but I do not have any other options. Anyone have any advice on increasing the dose of spiro and whether an initial flare or outbreak is likely?

Thank you for any help or thoughts.

MemberMember
(@bubbles15)

Posted : 04/18/2016 12:57 pm

Has the spiro made any difference at all in your skin?? And did you experience an i itial breakout when starting the spiro.
?

MemberMember
(@likelytempo)

Posted : 04/18/2016 2:23 pm

Yes...I do get smaller pimples now vs sore inflamed ones. When i do breakout, I am getting these clusters of small red pimples on my lower cheek/jaw area.
I didn't have an ib when starting or bumping up from 50-75 (was on 50 for 4 months and bumped to 75 in June), but I was on minocyclin at the time. Though im not sure the mino did anything anyway.

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 04/19/2016 9:46 am

On 4/18/2016 at 10:40 AM, LikelyTempo said:

Hi there...
I could really use some advice. I'm almost 40 and so sick and tired of my skin. I have been on Orthocyclen for over a year and 75 mg of Spironolactone since June. I have great months and rough months with my skin. An endocrinologist diagnosed PCOS. I also have endometriosis. I'm in the midst of a breakout AGAIN and ready to lose it. I saw my derm this am and he recommended increasing from 75mg to 100mg. I am terrified of making things worse, but I do not have any other options. Anyone have any advice on increasing the dose of spiro and whether an initial flare or outbreak is likely?

Thank you for any help or thoughts.

The increase to 100 while on BC was helpful. I am now on 125mg and no BC and things are relatively good. I have minor and infrequent spots, not perfection. But my tone is good, smooth and usually the spots are because I mess with a clogged pore instead of treating it with peels, etc.

MemberMember
(@likelytempo)

Posted : 04/19/2016 9:48 am

did you stop the bcp and add the spiro at the same time or add the spiro prior to stopping bc? I'm thinking of stopping bc too, because honestly I wonder if it's just making things worse.

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 04/19/2016 9:55 am

3 minutes ago, LikelyTempo said:

did you stop the bcp and add the spiro at the same time or add the spiro prior to stopping bc? I'm thinking of stopping bc too, because honestly I wonder if it's just making things worse.

I just happen to be online as you wrote this haha

Yes, when I quit Yasmin last February I immediately upped from 75mg to 100mg. There wasn't any major repercussions or changes. I did drop weight that I had been holding I think from BCP. About 3-4 months after quitting BCP I got my period back, and I would get a swollen spot the week before. This December I went through a very stressful time and my swollen spots became more frequent. I worked with my Endo and she suggested going to 150mg, I filled my RX for 150mg, but only take 125mg. At least I know what is going on with my body now, hormone wise. I almost wonder if BCP is the cause of PCOS. I started BCP when I was 15 and am 34. It makes you wonder, when you take a pill that suppresses ovulation, if your body just decides to quit on its own and causing more problems. I got my period at 14 and acne only became a problem at 15 or so

MemberMember
(@likelytempo)

Posted : 04/19/2016 8:31 pm

Here's what is bizarre for me. I've always had normal periods and ovulated. Acne began with my period and I typically had worse acne during ovulation. I went on Yasmin at 26 and my acne stopped. Like totally clear skin. Got off to have a baby and went back on after nursing. Again, no acne. Went off to get pregnant a second time and this time stayed off until 9 mo postpartum, acne stayed away that whole time! I started getting small spots and was scared so I went back on Yasmin. Except...this time my face went crazy. After almost 7 months it calmed down but flared around the time I would have been ovulating if I wasn't on the pill. I had bad cramping and odd symptoms and my obgyn sent me for an ultrasound. I had many follicular cysts. Her take was that Yasmin wasn't fully suppressing ovulation and my body was gearing up each month. She suggested changing to a different pill so I switched to orthocyclen. An endocrinologist told me it was PCOS. I have no clue what it is, but overyear later I'm having the same problem. I truly think the pill is making my body nuts and is causing at least some of my skin troubles...I'm just scared to stop for fear it will get worse.
I'm 39 and so ready for this to be behind me.

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 04/21/2016 8:21 am

On 4/20/2016 at 9:31 PM, LikelyTempo said:

Here's what is bizarre for me. I've always had normal periods and ovulated. Acne began with my period and I typically had worse acne during ovulation. I went on Yasmin at 26 and my acne stopped. Like totally clear skin. Got off to have a baby and went back on after nursing. Again, no acne. Went off to get pregnant a second time and this time stayed off until 9 mo postpartum, acne stayed away that whole time! I started getting small spots and was scared so I went back on Yasmin. Except...this time my face went crazy. After almost 7 months it calmed down but flared around the time I would have been ovulating if I wasn't on the pill. I had bad cramping and odd symptoms and my obgyn sent me for an ultrasound. I had many follicular cysts. Her take was that Yasmin wasn't fully suppressing ovulation and my body was gearing up each month. She suggested changing to a different pill so I switched to orthocyclen. An endocrinologist told me it was PCOS. I have no clue what it is, but overyear later I'm having the same problem. I truly think the pill is making my body nuts and is causing at least some of my skin troubles...I'm just scared to stop for fear it will get worse.
I'm 39 and so ready for this to be behind me.

I had "normal" periods before as well. Things really only changed for me in my 30s. PCOS really is diagnosed by looking at your ovaries, and if they are cystic then there is your diagnosis. :/ It's hard to get a true read on your hormone levels- Estrogen and Progesterone while you are on the pill. But elevated Testosterone and Free Testosterone will still show up. Did you get a blood panel with your Endo? Usually the problem is not enough estrogen and too much testosterone/androgens. These levels can change throughout our lives, due to many reasons- babies, diet, stress, fatigue, over exercise, etc.

Did they fill your Rx for 100mg? I know it is scary to not know what is going to happen. But if Spiro did actually help, if Yasmin helped as well. It sounds like suppressing the Testosterone/Androgens is a mode of treatment for you. That's how I knew Spiro would work for me, because with both Yas and Yasmin, my skin was SO much better. I just needed that extra boost with Spiro to help. Is your skin still oily or dry now? I started taking Berberine extract 2 months ago (natural treatment, similar to Metformin for PCOS) to help with blood sugar/insulin surge. I am thin, but prone to inflammation and I know insulin has a connection. You can read about it online. Many women have had success with Spiro and Metformin.

MemberMember
(@likelytempo)

Posted : 04/21/2016 10:43 am

bumped up to 100mg three days ago.
My skin has been pretty dry overall, though more oily during the week before my period. I'm hoping the move to 100 will help.

Endo did blood work and called me to say findings were generally unremarkable. I did have cysts via ultrasound and am sure my body changed greatly after my second child. Question....with PCOS to you have pains now and then? I have regular ovary pain

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 04/22/2016 8:47 am

22 hours ago, LikelyTempo said:

bumped up to 100mg three days ago.
My skin has been pretty dry overall, though more oily during the week before my period. I'm hoping the move to 100 will help.

Endo did blood work and called me to say findings were generally unremarkable. I did have cysts via ultrasound and am sure my body changed greatly after my second child. Question....with PCOS to you have pains now and then? I have regular ovary pain

Yes, I swear I can feel something going on in my ovaries or random cramps. I haven't really had my period in the last 4 months, but before I have had a cyst burst which was horrible. Things are much better on Spiro menstrual symptom wise.

MemberMember
(@bubbles15)

Posted : 04/22/2016 1:16 pm

Please keep me updated on how spiro works! Ive had acne basically my whole life and now im pregnant and dealing with it :( im thinking of starting spironolactone after the baby if it doesnt clear up on its own!!! Carpemomentum have you noticed your skin being even better with berberine?? Ive heard it is a natural antimicrobial so im thinking it could help me!

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 05/02/2016 10:28 am

On 4/22/2016 at 2:16 PM, Bubbles15 said:

Please keep me updated on how spiro works! Ive had acne basically my whole life and now im pregnant and dealing with it :( im thinking of starting spironolactone after the baby if it doesnt clear up on its own!!! Carpemomentum have you noticed your skin being even better with berberine?? Ive heard it is a natural antimicrobial so im thinking it could help me!

Sorry for delay Bubbles!  yes, berberine I have noticed helps keep inflammation at bay which is my  biggest challenge outside of the oily skin. Spiro and Berberine have been a very positive combination for me.  I am please with the results and thankful both work in conjunction and I don't need Metformin (another actual Rx).  

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 05/23/2016 8:26 am

On 5/2/2016 at 11:28 AM, CarpeMomentum said:
On 4/22/2016 at 2:16 PM, Bubbles15 said:

Please keep me updated on how spiro works! Ive had acne basically my whole life and now im pregnant and dealing with it |::( im thinking of starting spironolactone after the baby if it doesnt clear up on its own!!! Carpemomentum have you noticed your skin being even better with berberine?? Ive heard it is a natural antimicrobial so im thinking it could help me!

Sorry for delay Bubbles!  yes, berberine I have noticed helps keep inflammation at bay which is my  biggest challenge outside of the oily skin. Spiro and Berberine have been a very positive combination for me.  I am please with the results and thankful both work in conjunction and I don't need Metformin (another actual Rx).  

hi carpet momentum...I'm thinking of asking for Spiro along with yaz. Should I start at 50mg?