Notifications
Clear all

Thinking of spreading out my accutane dose throughout a longer period of time

MemberMember
(@364310_1443950174)

Posted : 04/13/2016 11:50 pm

Hey guys-

21Yo/180 lb guy here. Mild but very persistent acne. I'm currently on my second course of accutane. First round cleared me up completely for a little over a year and then the acne slowly came back. I started my first month at 40 mg and just completed the second month with an 80 mg prescription. Even though I was on 80 mg/day last round, the side effects this time are sooo much worse this time around. (I'm thinking it's because the oily skin never really came back after the first round, just the pimples did). My lips dry out every hour even after religiously using Aquaphor and my face has gotten super dry, with constantly peeling skin (I'm stacking Cerave AND Cetaphil!). My nose also bleeds constantly. My question is, would it be safe to effectively take 40 mg/day for twice the amount of time? Or 80 mg one day and 40 mg the next (to achieve 60 mg/day). I would be on the drug for longer, which is fine by me, but I'm thinking it would really help mitigate the side effects.

Just to clarify: I have 3 months left of Accutane at 80 mg/day. I'm asking if I can take 40 mg/day for 6 more months instead or effectively 60 mg/day for 4 more months. Anyone ever considered this?

MemberMember
(@364310_1443950174)

Posted : 04/14/2016 10:00 am

Anyone?

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 04/14/2016 10:52 am

If you feel that your side effects are too much to handle at your current dose, then you should probably discuss the possibility of lowering the dose with the dermatologist or doctor who prescribed the accutane for you. I think they are really the right person to be asking 🙂