Notifications
Clear all

Hormonal Body Acne After Coming off Beyaz

MemberMember
(@konekokat23)

Posted : 04/12/2016 5:21 pm

I don't know where to start. I honestly didn't think this would be happening to me again, but I want to share my experience and obtain some insight, because my doctors seem more concerned with my wallet than my problems. 

Ever since I started my period at the ripe age of 9 (yes, I was 9) I have suffered from severe body acne. It started on my face, and made it's way to my chest, shoulders and back. It was hell, being the first one in my class to get "pizza face" and I never allowed myself to wear anything but a teeshirt and pants. Fast Forward through a bunch of BS derm visits and failed proactiv treatments. I went to my gyno at 18 and she prescribed me Beyaz, as I was becoming serious with my now-husband. 

Within 2 months, my entire body and face were clear. I went to the derm again to get some medication to fade all the scarring, but after about 6 months, my skin was as beautiful as it had ever been, and I was so happy. 

Now, fast forward again to October 2015. My insurance stopped covering Beyaz completely and I was too stubborn to pay $300 every 3 months for my refills, so I stopped taking it altogether and told myself that in January I'd talk to my Gyno about another pill. Well, before I got to see her, my acne suddenly reappeared after being off the pill for 2 months or so. And, I mean it came back with a vengeance, like it was overnight.

My entire back was covered, my chest and shoulders and face were spotted, it was terrible. I never thought that my pill was the reason my skin cleared, I just assumed it was me growing out of my pimple phase. 

I panicked, and I saw my gyno that January to get back on my pill, in hopes of clearing it up. She prescribed my Gianvi, which is the generic form of Beyaz  so it would be cheaper on my pockets. I also was prescribed Sumadan and Differen 01% to use , and it's been about 4 months since I started this regimen, and my skin is still breaking out.  My back is the worst :( I get at least 1 new cystic acne spot a day, and they're so painful¦..

I'm at a loss. Why isn't my acne clearing up like it did the first time? I'm almost positive it's hormonal now, and even with the help of meds, I still break out and my back is still a mess. 

Can someone please explain what is going on with me? The derm won't acknowledge it's hormonal and wants to put me on antibiotics, and my gyno has no answer for why the pill isn't clearing me up this time around¦.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 04/12/2016 6:29 pm

Hormones are slow responders so going off and on births control is like turning on and off a switch in your body. Keep in mind also that generics may not work as well as name brands and vice versa. If by the 6 month mark you are no better off , see a derm or a holistic person that can help you balance things out. Things you can do in the meantime is clean up your diet, exercise, lower your stress level and try to relax. Acne is frustrating at any age but as an adult, it sucks hardcore. ,

good luck

MemberMember
(@konekokat23)

Posted : 04/13/2016 1:04 pm

Thanks. It's been a difficult journey, and summer is right around the corner. I work face to face with people, and I do feel like it's making me continuously sad and self conscious. I see my derm for a follow up in 2 weeks. I might ask about Spironolactone or Accutane....

MemberMember
(@islandgirl329)

Posted : 05/09/2016 3:28 pm

I am experiencing the same thing after coming off birth control. I was on it for a really long time. It didn't start until about a month or so after I stopped the pill. It started on my face (which isn't that bad now) and then my chest, then my back. I did have acne before I went on bc though. It completely cleared off my chest (it has been just about 5 months) and is still on my back. I use BenzEFoam from the derm on my back (put it on, rinse) twice a day, and then Paula's choice Gel Exfoliant 2% BHA also twice a day. It's definitely helping on my back. I probably would have gone back on bc too but my husband and I are trying to have a baby so I am trying to deal with it. Try this out! If you can't get the foam try PanOxyl from the drug store instead. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@islandgirl329)

Posted : 07/13/2016 5:34 pm

Update:

I used to get at least one new cystic acne spot on my back (after quitting pill) every other day. I was so sick of trying stuff from the derm that didn't work so I tried acupuncture and it has been amazing. I got three in a month and the ones that do come disappear much faster and do not scar. She has also treated the scars. It's amazing!!