What cleanser is be...

Notifications
Clear all

What cleanser is best for oily skin?

MemberMember
(@leo10)

Posted : 04/11/2016 9:01 pm

So I'm a 15 year old guy and my acne is light. But like almost everyone, I'm terrified that it'll get worse. I want to treat my acne but I don't know what cleanser to use. Which works better for oily skin, cream or non creamy cleansers? Will the cleanser eliminate the oil for the rest of the day? Can over moisturizing cause more acne, even if it's not pore-clogging? I would appreciate any answers.

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 04/11/2016 10:33 pm

I've got oily skin and I use neutrogena oil eliminating facial cleanser and it works well in reducing oil. And what do you mean by over moisturizing? You should moisturize twice a day normally.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@leo10)

Posted : 04/12/2016 3:39 pm

17 hours ago, oyinkan98 said:

I've got oily skin and I use neutrogena oil eliminating facial cleanser and it works well in reducing oil. And what do you mean by over moisturizing? You should moisturize twice a day normally.

Oh okay thanks and I was just wondering if maybe the amount of moisturizer I put is too much. I do it twice a day and only use one pump. Should I maybe reduce the size a little?

17 hours ago, Chloe123 said:

Your oils will NOT reduce from a cleanser, what will happen is it will INCREASE the oils on your skin if its a harsh cleanser. Oily, dry, sensitive etc. it doesnt matter; just use a simple gentle cleanser that does the job of 'cleansing' not 'reducing oil'

Oh thank you. Yeah I use an oil free cleanser and it leaves my face feeling nice, not dry or red, just a tiny bit tight. Then I apply the neutrogena oil free moisturizer for sensitive skin, and the tightness goes away. I do this twice a day and only use one pump of moisturizer but my face still ends up a little oily. Should I reduce the size of moisturizer I put on?

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@viseslav-tonkovic-capin)

Posted : 04/12/2016 7:49 pm

The best cleanser for skin is dihydrogen monoxide (a.k.a. water) , but if you really want to use commercial products then try any acne wash with salicylic acid, or gently wipe your face with acne cleansing pads pre-soaked with 2% salicylic acid solution (pads are much preferred by teenagers due to ease of use).

Best!

Vise

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@rhodalove)

Posted : 04/12/2016 8:22 pm

A gel based cleanser such as acne.org cleanser, Cetaphil Daily Cleanser for Normal to Oily skin, or Cervae Foaming Cleanser are good options. They are in gel form and create a foam yet gentle on the skin. Also consider African Black Soap. Be sure not to dry out your skin by washing too much throughout the day. Hope that helps.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@leo10)

Posted : 04/12/2016 9:48 pm

1 hour ago, jazzybelle said:

A gel based cleanser such as acne.org cleanser, Cetaphil Daily Cleanser for Normal to Oily skin, or Cervae Foaming Cleanser are good options. They are in gel form and create a foam yet gentle on the skin. Also consider African Black Soap. Be sure not to dry out your skin by washing too much throughout the day. Hope that helps.

Thank you! How about moisturizing? Should I use a little less?

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@rhodalove)

Posted : 04/13/2016 4:52 pm

18 hours ago, Leo10 said:
Thank you! How about moisturizing? Should I use a little less?

No problem! You should moisturize with a light moisturizer like the Cetaphil moisturizing lotion for all skin types. The moisturizer that you use should benoncomedogenic.Be sure to use a sunscreen in the day (avoid any sunscreen that has the ingredient oxybenzone).

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 04/13/2016 5:26 pm

No cleanser will make your skin oil free.

The trick is to use a cleanser which is gentle and doesn't strip your skin dry. Using cleansers like that will just prompt your face to produce more oil because it has been washed away.

I would recommendCetaphil Gentle Cleanser. It doesn't lather so you know there isn't really any harsh detergents in it. Follow that up with a non-clogging moisturizer like Cerave lotion and do both of those twice a day.

MemberMember
(@hopeless87)

Posted : 04/13/2016 8:05 pm

i actually disagree about the cetaphil gentle cleanser. it has sodium lauryl sulfate which is the one of the most irritating sulfates out there. a lot of cleansers have sodium "laureth" sulfate which is not good either, but nowhere near as bad. if you have oily skin it will end up disrupting the ph on your face and the moisturizing cetyl and stearyl alcohols are not good to put on oily skin with a likely chance it will clog your pores like it did to me. then the other half of the ingredients are toxic parbens.
this is my favorite oily skin cleanser https://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=179586/garnier-clean-gentle-clarifying-cleansing-gel-sensitive-skin/Garnier/Cleansers most garnier cleansers do have sulfates but this one is really great. the zinc in it mattifies skin but how long it will control oil is different for everyone.

MemberMember
(@leo10)

Posted : 04/14/2016 3:53 pm

Thank you guys for the answers! I'll keep it all in mind 🙂

MemberMember
(@milkysweet)

Posted : 12/10/2020 3:53 am

On 12/6/2020 at 9:36 AM, Emma211 said:

I also suffer from severe oily skin and acne, not just on my face, but my entire body. Beauty by Earth Tea Tree Body Wash has helped tremendously with this issue. I love that it makes my face feel clean and doesn't leave a filmy residue at all when I use it on my oily face. It is great at drying up and reducing acne on my shoulders and back, also.

I feel you. I also think that I got the worst face ever.

MemberMember
(@kavencare)

Posted : 01/14/2021 1:04 am

On 12/10/2020 at 4:53 PM, milkysweet said:

I feel you. I also think that I got the worst face ever.

Sometimes, overthinking too much can cause depression. I always overthink my face problem but still I never give up of finding a solution.