Notifications
Clear all

Accutane log: mild persistent acne (22 year old)

MemberMember
(@mildacneaccutanelog)

Posted : 04/09/2016 11:56 pm

Hi to whoever is reading this. I am a 22 year old female who has been battling acne since the age of 13. My acne was only on my forehead and my back until I reached the age of 15, at which point it spread to my cheeks. After high school, it spread to all areas of my face, back and chest. However, the acne on my face has always been pretty "mild", while my back acne was moderate. Even though I technically have mild acne, it is extremely persistent and never fully goes away. It also scars my face and leaves a lot of hyper pigmentation/red marks. I have tried dozens of topical prescriptions, oral prescriptions such as doxycycline and minicycline, and more with no success. My dermatologist finally put me on accutane and I began taking 20 mg on April 6, 2016. I decided to log my journey on here for people who are interested in accutane for mild acne. 

April 6- no changes yet 
April 7- little blackheads came out of my chin by themselves. one pimple appeared inbetween eyebrows. one new blind pimple on chin. no side effects.
April 8- big headache all day. one tiny pimple on chin appeared and I popped it easily.  2 pimples appeared inbetween eyebrows, one tiny pimple on jaw appeared and I popped it. 
April 9- face is starting to get very dry.  still have a headache. popped a pimple beside eyebrow. one big blind pimple/bump appeared on top of left cheek.
The first three pictures are before taking the first pill. The next three pictures are on day 4 (April 9). You can see that my skin is already very dry in those pictures.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@mildacneaccutanelog)

Posted : 04/11/2016 5:44 pm

April 10- skin is extremely dry, peeling and red. looks like I got a sunburn 
April 11- skin still red and dry but fine after moisturizer. skin still getting very oily throughout the day. two new small pimples. popped the huge pimple on left cheek and skin came off. lots of pus came out too. 

my right cheek is just all scars now and no raised bumps. the only raised bump I had was the big one on my left cheek which I popped today. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 04/11/2016 7:25 pm

Good luck on your journey! Your face looks amazing!

MemberMember
(@mildacneaccutanelog)

Posted : 04/17/2016 7:47 pm

April 12 (day 7): skin is still a little bit pink. Skin is still very oily. Two new pimples appeared on the bottom of my left cheek. One new pimple appeared on my right side beside my chin. Lips are starting to get dry. First four pictures are on this day.
April 13 (day 8): My skin is still very oily. I got two new blind pimples on my chin. My face is not red anymore, however today I noticed a lot of hair loss in the shower.
April 14 (day 9): My lips are getting very dry now however my skin is still oily. I got a few new blind pimples on my chin and a new big pimple on my left cheek. Pictures 5,6,and 7 are on this day.
April 15 (day 10): My lips are getting extremely dry and peeling. I woke up with a lot of closed comedones and a big blind pimple on my right cheek. Having a very bad skin day. I popped all the pimples that had a white head and they all turned into red open wounds. Pictures 8 and 9 are on this day.
April 16 (day 11): My lips are extremely dry and peeling to the point that theyre bleeding. I am breaking out a lot on my chin and right cheek.
April 17 (day 12): I popped all the new pimples on my right cheek since they were ready and had white heads, however my skin came off and it left open wounds. Definitely shouldnt be popping pimples on accutane. Today i woke up with a new big pimple on the left side of my jaw. I put vaseline on my lips overnight and they are 100 times better today. Pictures 10, 11 and 12 are on this day.

IMG_5024.JPG

IMG_5025.JPG

IMG_5026.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

IMG_5029.JPG

IMG_5030.JPG

IMG_5031.JPG

IMG_5033.JPG

IMG_5034.JPG

IMG_5037.JPG

IMG_5038.JPG

IMG_5039.JPG

MemberMember
(@mildacneaccutanelog)

Posted : 04/21/2016 9:29 pm

April 19: skin peeling but looks better. new big blind pimple on right cheek appeared and I popped it but couldn't fully get all the pus out. 
April 20 (day 15): lot of big blackheads coming out everywhere. new small pimple on left cheek and I popped it.  new small pimple on chin and popped it. also popped the big blind pimple again and my skin came off... bad decision. the skin around it is very red and looks burnt /open. The first two pictures are on this day.
April 21 (day 16): skin is looking better on my cheeks and chin. skin is healing pretty quickly. got two new pimples on my forehead today though... haven't broken out on my forehead in at least 2 weeks so kinda sucks but they popped easily. lips are getting EXTREMELY DRY. the skin around my lips is getting red and looks like my mouth is bigger than it is. Vaseline kinda helps. I can tell my skin is definitely getting less oily as I don't even need to blot it throughout the day. Normally I would blot my face 5-10 times a day before accutane. The last 4 pictures are on this day.

FYI I've been using benzoyl peroxide 5% as a spot treatment on new pimples and popped pimples the whole time I've been on accutane and haven't had any issues. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

MemberMember
(@mildacneaccutanelog)

Posted : 05/02/2016 9:07 pm

April 24 (day 19):  face is getting very dry. lips are extremely dry. got two new blind pimples on right cheek. big blackheads coming out of face by themselves. got a new tiny pimple on chin today and it popped itself in the evening. forehead pimples/scabs are slowly healing. The first 3 pictures are on this day. 
April 25 (day 20): a lot of big and small blackheads coming out all over my face. new pimple on chin- I easily popped it but my skin came off :( I got a bad rash on my hand a couple of days ago and it has been getting much worse every day. also my lips are super dry.  The next 5 pictures are on this day.
April 26 (day 21): my skin is starting to get more dry as I don't have to blot throughout the day at all. I woke up with new pimple beside my lip- popped it and skin came off :( clearly my skin has become so thin. I also got two new big blind pimples on my right cheek. I went to see my derm today about the hand rash and got a steroid cream. 
April 27 (day 22): skin doesn't get oily at all throughout the day- it's very dry. a lot of big blackheads coming out by themselves. the skin around my nose creases and ears is very dry. got a new pimple on my right cheek. I also have many under the skin bumps on my left cheek. my face feels very rough- like sandpaper. The next 3 pictures are on this day. 
April 28 (day 23): skin and lips are getting extremely dry. A big blackhead on my right cheek is inflamed and red today. 
April 29 (day 24): I got two new white heads on my right cheek and 2 new white heads on my left cheek. I can't remember the last time my skin ever broke out this bad. lips and skin are still very dry. The next 3 pictures are on this day. 
April 30 (day 25):  very bad skin day. got a lot of huge pimples on my cheeks and so many big blackheads coming up. my skin looks HORRIBLE and all I want to do is cry. The next 3 pictures are on this day. 
may 2 (day 27): got a new pimple on my jawline. still have a lot of big blackheads coming up. thankfully my old pimples are healing fast and peeling off. skin actually looks pretty good today! I noticed my skin is overall a lot smoother now. my nose doesn't feel like sandpaper anymore. now I just a lot of hyper pigmentation and scars  left over from everything. The last 4 pictures are on this day. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg