Face Wash

MemberMember
(@tomdpoy)

Posted : 04/09/2016 9:07 pm

Hey everyone, I've been checking out posts on this forum for a while now. I thought it was really helpful. Anyway...

I took my first accutane pill today (40 mg once a day to start off). My derm told me to wash my face with water and take the pill with a fatty meal. Does this mean if I don't take it with a lot of fat, the pill wont work? Or it just wont be as effective?

And about the face wash... I just feel dirty washing with only water, just a mental thing. The derm said it'd be fine to just use water. Is this okay? Any answer is appreciated!!!

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 04/10/2016 9:19 am

Hi, and welcome to accutane-land!

I believe the fat helps the drug to absorb, so it should be more effective if you take it with a fatty meal (hello peanut butter!). I think it still works without the fat, but if you're on accutane then I'm guessing you want it to be as effective as possible?!

I guess it would be fine to just wash with water, but I'm like you - I don't think I could do that! Just make sure you're using something gentle that won't strip your skin. (I'm using Cerave Hydrating Cleanser which I'm liking - I got it cos there were a load of reviews an amazon saying how great it was if you are on accutane.)

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@bigappleedubs)

Posted : 04/11/2016 8:03 pm

I'm using just water in the morning, and at night washing with Cetaphil. My skin has become so dry that washing with anything aside from just water in the morning would strip it even more.