Notifications
Clear all

Antibiotics helped my acne

MemberMember
(@lmyxo)

Posted : 04/09/2016 3:35 am

Okay hi, I remember I posted a post in March about my acne. I Haven't used benzoyl since then I stayed away from chemicals, I don't even use face washes anymore. I went on antibiotics and I started drinking a lot of green tea. Surprisingly my acne has somewhat cleared up I still have acne scars which I'm working to get rid of and breakouts on my forehead/chin but I tried everything and finally something worked. My entire back and chest acne had gone away first (I have black scars from it) I've never been so happy I also use a tumaric face mask from time to time which helped. I noticed my diet had a lot to do with my acne I eat nothing but vegetables and i started drinking tons of water. I'm going back to the doctors on Monday to refill my pills so let's pray all of my acne goes away by next year.image.jpeg.1af7c471cb89643bf8b0dcb1240a0image.thumb.jpeg.07f7a5359ecdef2f71a98aa

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 04/10/2016 9:43 pm

That's a great result...very pleased for you!! I hope you have continued success as you finish your antibiotics and carry on with your healthy lifestyle 🙂

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@mrscarrieg)

Posted : 04/11/2016 4:31 pm

What was the antibiotic and dose?

its great to read your making progress.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@lmyxo)

Posted : 04/17/2016 7:34 pm

On 4/11/2016 at 8:43 PM, Jazzguy said:

That's a great result...very pleased for you!! I hope you have continued success as you finish your antibiotics and carry on with your healthy lifestyle 🙂

Thank you very much, I've been off it for a week it sadly came back but worst so I'm back on it. My acne is usually around my cheeks/chin and forehead my Doctor says its hormonal which is why it came back.

On 4/11/2016 at 3:31 PM, MrsCarrieG said:

What was the antibiotic and dose?

its great to read your making progress.

100 I think, I took it for a month.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 04/17/2016 9:13 pm

It's a good idea to use a topical (like 2.5% BP) at the same time as an antibiotic. This helps kill acne bacteria on the outside, while the antibiotics tackle bacteria internally. Also, getting your skin on an effective topical will leave you with treatment options once the course of antibiotics is over, to help prevent or minimize a relapse. My son also just completed a 3-month course of minocycline (100 mgs) and am keeping fingers and toes crossed that his acne does't return. He's also doing the Acne.Org Regimen, so we're just using the topicals at this point to maintain his clear skin. 

Antibiotics can be used safely for about 4-5 months but using longer than this isn't recommended, as acne can become antibiotic-resistant. But if your derm is recommending continuing with the antibiotics, then by all means follow what they say. I'd also look into adding 30 mgs of zinc gluconate to your diet. The anti-inflammatory benefits of zinc are comparable to using antibiotics. Omega 3 fish oil is another good add-on which can help provide good anti-inflammatory support, as well as 10,000 IU of vitamin A, another great anti-inflammatory. You can get this easily by eating 2-3 carrots every day! All of this can help you keep fighting acne internally both during and after you're done with antibiotics.

Hope this is helpful! :)

MemberMember
(@lmyxo)

Posted : 04/18/2016 4:12 pm

18 hours ago, DeLovely said:

It's a good idea to use a topical (like 2.5% BP) at the same time as an antibiotic. This helps kill acne bacteria on the outside, while the antibiotics tackle bacteria internally. Also, getting your skin on an effective topical will leave you with treatment options once the course of antibiotics is over, to help prevent or minimize a relapse. My son also just completed a 3-month course of minocycline (100 mgs) and am keeping fingers and toes crossed that his acne does't return. He's also doing the Acne.Org Regimen, so we're just using the topicals at this point to maintain his clear skin. 

Antibiotics can be used safely for about 4-5 months but using longer than this isn't recommended, as acne can become antibiotic-resistant. But if your derm is recommending continuing with the antibiotics, then by all means follow what they say. I'd also look into adding 30 mgs of zinc gluconate to your diet. The anti-inflammatory benefits of zinc are comparable to using antibiotics. Omega 3 fish oil is another good add-on which can help provide good anti-inflammatory support, as well as 10,000 IU of vitamin A, another great anti-inflammatory. You can get this easily by eating 2-3 carrots every day! All of this can help you keep fighting acne internally both during and after you're done with antibiotics.

Hope this is helpful! :)

HI thank you it did help, I don't know if I wanna go back on benzoyl perxoide I have the 5% I bought 2 months ago and it made my skin horrible. I went off antibiotics minocyline for a week my acne returned worst than ever, I'm breaking out on spots I never broke out from. My doctor doesnt want me being on it any longer so this will be my my last month taking it. I'm so sad because I know my acne will return and I have no clue what to use or do because my skin is so confusing. I have ugly cysts on my chin and forehead its worst than the first photo I posted, I have dark spots from the antibotics I'm literally breaking out everywhere on my face.I dont want to use any harsh products I like using products that are chemical free.

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 04/19/2016 7:12 pm

If you're looking for something non-BP that isn't harsh on skin it's worth a look at epiology IMO.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@adeel2111)

Posted : 12/24/2016 9:49 pm

how is it going now? any news?