Notifications
Clear all

At a loss with acne..

MemberMember
(@unusualfruit)

Posted : 04/08/2016 9:56 pm

Hello all!

I am a 27 year old female who cannot seem to find an acne regime that works. I have had acne since puberty (it runs in my family) and it will span better or worse in cycles. Just when I think I have found a product that works and it's looking okay, my face will reject the product and break out terribly.

Things I have tried:
-Proactive
-Murad
-Clinique
-Paula's Choice
-Exposed
-countless drug store products.
-apple cider vinegar
-witch hazel
-Clarisonic Mia
I had also seen a dermatologist 8-9 years ago and was given oral medication as well as a wash that did nothing and cost an arm and a leg so I never went back to that doctor.
I have found altering my diet to reduce refined sugar and dairy products will help my skin clear, and my breakouts will get better and worse throughout my hormonal cycle.

I am currently buckling down to drink more water (shooting for a gallon a day) in hopes of it will help and finishing up my supply of Exposed.

There is no rhyme or reason to the way my face breaks out. I will get large blemishes, small blemishes, stubborn, painful, blackheads, EVERYTHING all over my face in no real pattern. One month it'll be strictly my jawline then the next it will be my forehead. No area is safe lol. Most recently, after spending almost 2 years using Clinique acne system with satisfactory results, my skin became extremely sensitive to benzoyl peroxide products which i had NEVER experienced before. I switched to Paula's Choice and all salicylic products which again seemed to work but then my face stopped responding and not only did my face break out worse, my neck, chest, and back broke out as well. Mind you I haven't had acne like that besides my face in YEARS so this really caught me off guard.

Basically at this point I'm extremely frustrated of this failed trial and error and am not sure where to go from here. I would just like to see some sort of light at the end of the tunnel!

MemberMember
(@jojo2016)

Posted : 04/09/2016 3:46 am

There is a light. I tried all the products above and it did nothing for my acne. I get painful huge cystic acne around my jawline and neck. I know it's hormonal so I changed my diet and that didn't work either. I cut out dairy and became vegab. But no matter what i ate, still broke out in huge cystic acne. So i went to eating what I want, but still avoiding dairy. My doctor recommended RetinA .025 and now after two months my acne is entirely gone and cleared. I also started using clay masks twice a week (benonite.or french pink clay). I use a black soap (dusu oson bar) and my own toner ( made from water, peppermint oil, tea trea, and rose water). The lotion on my face that i use is Aveeno. I have never posted on here but i want others to know there is hope. I felt so hopeless two months ago and now i feel so happy knowing my skin can get better. Just a side note, RetinA can worsen your skin a little before it gets better. Like on the third week of using it, my acne was getting worse. But i pushed through made sure not to pop or touch my acne. I also started changing my pillow case every two days. I wear makeup that is acne friendly.
I hope i helped,

MemberMember
(@unusualfruit)

Posted : 04/10/2016 8:25 am

Thank you for your reply! I wrote all those things down on my list to research and try. I am trying to have a doctor be last resort because of the cost and distance but I'm absolutely not ruling it out (I want clear skin! Lol)

MemberMember
(@jojo2016)

Posted : 04/11/2016 12:06 am

Good luck! Tell how it goes. Seeing a Doctor was my last resort. Because with RetinA you can't really be out in the sun for long. I'm an outdoor person, so that really sucked. But i had no choice, my acne was getting so cystic and the more that formed, the more scars it will leave. And scars are even harder to remove. Especially having huge cysts, it can leave deep pitted scars. So i had to find cure before i had to deal with that. I can't believe my skin is clear after so many years of battling with acne. Just don't give up on yourself and take progress pictures. Oh and i also wash my face three times a day. I know it might seem like a lot, but for someone like me it's important. I have very oily skin that if the excess oil is not removed, i will get pimples. I wash my face with that soap I mentioned first thing in the morning. Then when i go to work, being outside with makeup, pollluted air, and sweating it builds up. So when i get home i was my face with the soap again. Then when i hop in the shower i wash it again but with very light lather of the soap. This method has worked wonders. Also when washing your face lightly massage it rather than scrubbing hard. I know for some washing the face less works, but for me doing that breaks me out. Sorry for the essay! Good luck