Notifications
Clear all

Mirena IUD and Cystic Acne

MemberMember
(@spadey)

Posted : 04/08/2016 5:07 am

I've struggled with spots since about the age of 14 (spots but not severe enough to call acne in my opinion) probably just because I have large pores and my skin is prone to get oily. A year and a half ago (at age 20) I got the Mirena IUD implant. A few weeks afterwards I noticed my skin getting noticeably worse. I left this for a while cause I knew that the Mirena affected hormones and I hoped that it would settle in a few months.

It did not settle and in fact got worse. I went to the doctors and I have tried 2 different anti-biotics each for 5 months and a few different creams and it has made no difference. I now very bad cystic acne which seems impossible to get rid of.

I have read that the Mirena only causes bad skin within the first year and then it settles down however mine is getting worse and worse. Would having the Mirena removed help my skin? I know the hormone dose is very low after the first year so I'm not sure it will make a difference. Has anyone else had the same problem?

MemberMember
(@i-want-to-help)

Posted : 04/23/2016 8:28 pm

I TOTALLY had the same problem and wished it didn't take me 3 years to realize that Mirena was the cause. I was trying product after product, even thinking maybe it was some kind of fungus I was experiencing. It made me so mental and self conscious! My skin started getting better week by week as soon as I had it removed. Took a total of about 6 months to clear. I honestly feel Mirena is evil! Well maybe that's not fair to say but I have 2 girlfriends who experienced the same thing. They both had them removed and both are acne free! Good luck in your decision! ! 🙂

MemberMember
(@woodr1km)

Posted : 11/03/2017 2:58 pm

I am currently struggling with Mirena-induced cystic acne and searching around the web for answers. I have heard natural supplements like DIM, Vitex or Evening Primrose can help. Has anyone tried those? I tried DIM for about 60 days with no real improvement. I am just starting EPO after reading articles about that being a holy grail for acne w/ Mirena. Either way, I hope you find/found something that works for you. Thanks for sharing your story!