Notifications
Clear all

The Thoughts of an Acne Sufferer

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 04/02/2016 12:42 am

Not sure if there is already a thread for this or not, but I'm just gonna post this anyways and hope it doesn't get taken down. I just need a place to post some though provoking ideas and questions.

My skin is pretty bad. I know many people have it worse, and my heart goes out to you. It's not disfiguring, but the incredible amount of red marks and active lingering cysts/inflamed spots have really put a damper on my daily life. Not necessarily ruined it, just made life a little tougher than I would ask for, and consistently uncomfortable. I'm hoping though, that the endeavors acne has put me through will do more than just annoy me, but build up a sort of immunity or shield to turn me into a better person. The problem is though, that whole concept is formulated on the basis of hope.

Honestly, hope is really the only thing keeping me going. I hope to one day be able to have an intelligent conversation with somebody while looking them in the eye, or be able to just walk around without darty eyes or lurking in the shadows. All of this sounds pretentious though. Sometimes I wonder the worth of getting clear skin and being able to do those things if the whole process of clearing up was formulated on superficial and petty issues to begin with.

What if I never get clear skin? By this point, I've been vetted into to insecurities club. I don't think that I have a mental switch to suddenly ignore my acne affliction. This is what scares me the most. I want to go into the political field, and typically aesthetic appeal or at least neutrality is a must. I just wouldn't be able to do it with acne. This is just scary to me, because I know deep down I have potential. I'm kind to people, articulate and funny. Honestly, I owe all of these traits to acne. Being well spoken and funny are crucial components to my AD (acne defense) repertoire to help divert attention away from my face. Not sure if it really works, but it definitely eases tension in convorsations for me. I'm typically on the offensive in any verbal engagement to be able to control the spots of attention. It's really quite incredible, the skillset I have inherited through acne.

This is the end of my first thought stream. I'm sure I'll do another soon. Not sure if anybody will read this, but I definitely hope other people post some of their thoughts.

-John- and DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 04/02/2016 9:25 am

Obviously, the first thing i am going to say is that if it is something that you really want to do, you should do it regardless of your acne. However, i totally agree that, ironically, politics is an inherently shallow institution. You obviously don't have to be really good looking (this can actually be a disadvantage), but you would need to look "presentable" in order to succeed.

I remember watching an interview with Ken Livingston (ex Mayor of London) where he basically advised anyone who had any deep seated insecurities or mental illness not to go into politics. Its a cruel world where everything you say or do (or have said or done) is scrutinised to the nth degree, as well as your appearance, so you would need to have an incredibly resilient personality.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 04/02/2016 2:22 pm

4 hours ago, jwalk said:

Obviously, the first thing i am going to say is that if it is something that you really want to do, you should do it regardless of your acne. However, i totally agree that, ironically, politics is an inherently shallow institution. You obviously don't have to be really good looking (this can actually be a disadvantage), but you would need to look "presentable" in order to succeed.

I remember watching an interview with Ken Livingston (ex Mayor of London) where he basically advised anyone who had any deep seated insecurities or mental illness not to go into politics. Its a cruel world where everything you say or do (or have said or done) is scrutinised to the nth degree, as well as your appearance, so you would need to have an incredibly resilient personality.

I definitely agreen with you. The more I think about it though, it seems as if every profession puts you on the hot seat. Always analyzed and superficially judged. It's something nobody can run from.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 04/02/2016 3:49 pm

1 hour ago, Diamond98 said:
6 hours ago, jwalk said:

I definitely agreen with you. The more I think about it though, it seems as if every profession puts you on the hot seat. Always analyzed and superficially judged. It's something nobody can run from.

You'll always be superficially judge regardless of what you choose to do with your life. Your appearance can affect your success in other professions, but your ability, qualifications or experience would usually counter this. Also, in other professions you are only going to be judged by your peers, rather than the public at large.

The thing about politics is that you are effectively always on the hot seat when you're in public. You would have to be someone who is willing to take abuse from all sides, often for shallow superficial reasons that are beyond your control.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@iahmeeobop)

Posted : 04/02/2016 4:29 pm

My thoughts are alittle different, I think acne is the worst thing that has ever happened to me and I don't see it as anything else.

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 04/02/2016 7:07 pm

2 hours ago, Iahmeeobop said:

My thoughts are alittle different, I think acne is the worst thing that has ever happened to me and I don't see it as anything else.

I understand. I feel as if I wasn't the kind of person who always clings to something to keep me going, I would be saying the same thing. I always try to find a sliver of hope, regardless of how small or how far away to keep me going. If that means simply hoping for clear skin in 2 years or somthing, I'll still cling to it. I truly believe a simple alteration of the perception of this drawback and what it has created for you can help your overall ability to cope and eventually see results. I can't speak for you, because I don't know enough about you. But know this - there are people like you out there (including me) that are going through similar situations and are thinking and wishing for each other. If that thought is all I ever end up having, I'll cling to it knowing that I'm not the only one in the battle.

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 04/02/2016 7:53 pm

19 hours ago, Diamond98 said:

Honestly, I owe all of these traits to acne. Being well spoken and funny are crucial components to my AD (acne defense) repertoire to help divert attention away from my face. Not sure if it really works, but it definitely eases tension in convorsations for me. I'm typically on the offensive in any verbal engagement to be able to control the spots of attention. It's really quite incredible, the skillset I have inherited through acne.

This is the end of my first thought stream. I'm sure I'll do another soon. Not sure if anybody will read this, but I definitely hope other people post some of their thoughts. 

I admire your positive attitude! Life has given you lemons, and you have chosen to make lemonade. You've used your hardship to make you a better person and that takes courage!! :)

Diamond98 liked
MemberMember
(@quantumquan)

Posted : 04/04/2016 2:16 am

This was a post that was able to move me as I can relate to it. "The skill set I have acquired due to acne is incredible"

The mental switch will come, it has made me a tougher person. Now my acne is going away, and the confidence seems to bubble out of me, something I never thought possible during my active acne days. It'll get better, continue applying that Benzoyl Peroxide!

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 04/04/2016 8:21 am

On 4/4/2016 at 3:16 AM, QuantumQuan said:

This was a post that was able to move me as I can relate to it. "The skill set I have acquired due to acne is incredible"

The mental switch will come, it has made me a tougher person. Now my acne is going away, and the confidence seems to bubble out of me, something I never thought possible during my active acne days. It'll get better, continue applying that Benzoyl Peroxide!

Love your positive attitude! :) It's better to embrace a hardship and use it to develop our character, rather than allowing ourselves to be crushed by it. "The Shawshank Redemption" is still one of my favorite movies because of the courage the lead character showed and the way he inspired others to make the choice to "get busy living." No prison is worse than the prison you build for yourself.

MemberMember
(@keruen98)

Posted : 04/04/2016 10:23 am

Hey Dude,

I guess we are kind of in a same shoe.

I actually also have a dream of becoming a politician, or at least present my country with a pride in my heart (which would be almost impossible with acne).

Hope is all we have and just keep going. If you have a dream, GO FOR IT. Do not let anything or anyone stop you, fight for your dream.

I pesonally believe that acne helped me to become a better person, it shaped optimism, stuborness and ability not to give a damn about other opinions in me. I am sure that I would have been completely different if acne never hit me. I would probably be one of those guys who would think that people with acne are unhygienic.

I wish you all the best! Things shall change for the better)

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 04/04/2016 12:22 pm

1 hour ago, keruen98 said:

Hey Dude,

I guess we are kind of in a same shoe.

I actually also have a dream of becoming a politician, or at least present my country with a pride in my heart (which would be almost impossible with acne).

Hope is all we have and just keep going. If you have a dream, GO FOR IT. Do not let anything or anyone stop you, fight for your dream.

I pesonally believe that acne helped me to become a better person, it shaped optimism, stuborness and ability not to give a damn about other opinions in me. I am sure that I would have been completely different if acne never hit me. I would probably be one of those guys who would think that people with acne are unhygienic.

I wish you all the best! Things shall change for the better)

Wow, this is really great stuff. I'm glad there are people out there who think like me, and strive for similar things. I'm happy for you that you have become a better person through all endeavours, and the way I see it, that is a victory. I too wish you the best in all you do and have a great day!

10 hours ago, QuantumQuan said:

Really great stuff to hear, I couldnt be happier for you. I love the positive attitude!

DeLovely and keruen98 liked
MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 04/04/2016 5:47 pm

Personally, I believe empathy is the key to success. Understanding both your situation and the situations of those around you is crucial in advancing as a human being. In a world where superficial elements are stressed beyond anything else, understanding that what you have going on might not be the same as what someone else has going on is so important. We are all just people trying our best to find success whether it be strictly personal or for the betterment of those around us. Fully understanding that we truly are different from each other (have our own problems, ex. acne) has/currently is shaping me into a more aware and relaxed person. As much as I hate acne, I give it credit in allocating space in my brain for the wondrous and too often ignored empathy.

MemberMember
(@quantumquan)

Posted : 04/04/2016 9:35 pm

3 hours ago, Diamond98 said:

Personally, I believe empathy is the key to success. Understanding both your situation and the situations of those around you is crucial in advancing as a human being. In a world where superficial elements are stressed beyond anything else, understanding that what you have going on might not be the same as what someone else has going on is so important. We are all just people trying our best to find success whether it be strictly personal or for the betterment of those around us. Fully understanding that we truly are different from each other (have our own problems, ex. acne) has/currently is shaping me into a more aware and relaxed person. As much as I hate acne, I give it credit in allocating space in my brain for the wondrous and too often ignored empathy.

Except that superficial elements can hardly be considered as betterment for those around us. It serves no purpose I have found, other than to fulfill our most basic sexual desires. However, the societal reality is that we are a culture that has been fostered on superficial elements that goes back even before America. I'll quote you, "I give it credit in allocating space in my brain for the wondrous...,". I spend my time thinking about things that actually matter. I sometimes wonder how most people go about living their lives. If the ones that live narcissistic lifestyles they lead ever feel a sense of remorse for doing so. Always living in vanity. I am overly critical of people who spend their life on Instagram and FaceBook, I'll admit to that. I understand that it is a social platform, and that it is used for, well, being social but I think that time is better spent on education or making the world a better place instead of posting an update bragging about how a random person purchased you drinks at the club, then 7 minutes later posting about how you just farted while dancing to In Da Club by 50 Cent with that random guy that purchased you a drink. Usually such obnoxious attempts at garnering attention end with the most gratuitous posts ever to be contributed to human kind 8 months down the road of how that random guy just dumped you and is now engaged to your best friend. For me, the betterment of myself is in turn making the world a better place as I am fully invested in the idea that I will indeed make a substantial impact while I am on this earth.

"We must acknowledge the power of image in our perceived successes," - Cameron Russell

https://www.ted.com/talks/cameron_russell_looks_aren_t_everything_believe_me_i_m_a_model?language=en

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 04/04/2016 10:57 pm

1 hour ago, QuantumQuan said:
Except that superficial elements can hardly be considered as betterment for those around us. It serves no purpose I have found, other than to fulfill our most basic sexual desires. However, the societal reality is that we are a culture that has been fostered on superficial elements that goes back even before America. I'll quote you, "I give it credit in allocating space in my brain for the wondrous...,". I spend my time thinking about things that actually matter. I sometimes wonder how most people go about living their lives. If the ones that live narcissistic lifestyles they lead ever feel a sense of remorse for doing so. Always living in vanity. I am overly critical of people who spend their life on Instagram and FaceBook, I'll admit to that. I understand that it is a social platform, and that it is used for, well, being social but I think that time is better spent on education or making the world a better place instead of posting an update bragging about how a random person purchased you drinks at the club, then 7 minutes later posting about how you just farted while dancing to In Da Club by 50 Cent with that random guy that purchased you a drink. Usually such obnoxious attempts at garnering attention end with the most gratuitous posts ever to be contributed to human kind 8 months down the road of how that random guy just dumped you and is now engaged to your best friend. For me, the betterment of myself is in turn making the world a better place as I am fully invested in the idea that I will indeed make a substantial impact while I am on this earth.

"We must acknowledge the power of image in our perceived successes," - Cameron Russell

https://www.ted.com/talks/cameron_russell_looks_aren_t_everything_believe_me_i_m_a_model?language=en

You really have a lot of fantastic ideas and points. I respect every point you made and agree with most. I'm in a rush right now and would love to type more but I have some work to do, I will be sure to give a better reply tomorrow. What you said has really moved me. Thanks for the video, I try to watch a Tedx video most nights before I go to bed so this is perfect. Thanks.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@quantumquan)

Posted : 04/05/2016 12:44 am

1 hour ago, Diamond98 said:
3 hours ago, QuantumQuan said:

You really have a lot of fantastic ideas and points. I respect every point you made and agree with most. I'm in a rush right now and would love to type more but I have some work to do, I will be sure to give a better reply tomorrow. What you said has really moved me. Thanks for the video, I try to watch a Tedx video most nights before I go to bed so this is perfect. Thanks.

I spend a lot of time thinking about things. Thank you. I find your ideas and viewpoints to be quite intriguing as well. A lot of the content we have discussed is tautological but I believe that a lot of people get so caught up in the idea of being beautiful that they lose their perspective on life and their life gets thrown out of balance, which perpetuates a vicious cycle that can be hard to catch. This kind of thinking only compounds a problem of low self-esteem, self-consciousness, etc...We have to make the best of what we have. Those who spend their life in a haughty desperation of trying to make wishes into reality lose the gift of being present.

MemberMember
(@diamond98)

Posted : 04/05/2016 8:16 pm

19 hours ago, QuantumQuan said:
I spend a lot of time thinking about things. Thank you. I find your ideas and viewpoints to be quite intriguing as well. A lot of the content we have discussed is tautological but I believe that a lot of people get so caught up in the idea of being beautiful that they lose their perspective on life and their life gets thrown out of balance, which perpetuates a vicious cycle that can be hard to catch. This kind of thinking only compounds a problem of low self-esteem, self-consciousness, etc...We have to make the best of what we have. Those who spend their life in a haughty desperation of trying to make wishes into reality lose the gift of being present.

Very true, and at a level I can really relate to. I constantly remind myself to focus more on the present instead of becoming semi-passive until I feel normal. Feeling normal has never really been my strong point, but I definitely think that it helps me to become present in some scenarios. Although vicious, I do believe that the constant chase of idea/reality of being beautiful can have an adverse but positive affect. Those able to analyze and disprove this idea of perfect image can use it to truly empathize and understand that as humans, we have flaws. I watched the video by the way, it was very intriguing. I also watched her talk on white supremacy, but that would be entering a while new realm of discussion. I spent way to much time in politics and social sciences for my age and ranting about it would probably not be the best for me, as I do get relatively angry. I just can't stand intolerance. If we could all truly tolerate each other, I don't think we would even be having this discussion right now - which for the record, I really have enjoyed. You are quite the intelligent fellow.

DeLovely liked