Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone advise

MemberMember
(@kristenp)

Posted : 03/31/2016 8:37 am

Hi all. I'm new to this board. I'm 42 years old. I became an esthetician 2 years ago. Now my skin has been having horrible deep breakouts. I've never had problems with my skin until the past year and a half. I'm so embarrassed to go to work! I've been loading up on makeup. This is what I do for a living and I can't even control my own acne:( I started spironolactone 3 weeks ago (22days ago) at 50mg/day. I'm not seeing any improvements and still breaking out. I know it can take a couple months to see improvements. I've ask my derm if she can prescribe me anything else (oral or tropical) to supplement the spiro. She doesn't want to and said to increase my dose to the 50mg 2X/day. My question is do you think I should wait it out the full 2 months before I up my dose or do it now? How many people had only 50mg/day work for them? I didn't have many side effects at all except getting my period 5 days early. Dying to sees some results soon

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 04/01/2016 7:24 pm

Spironolactone worked for me for a little while. I was on 100mg once a day. Generally if Spironolactone is going to work for you, it will work at 100mg. Studies have shown that taking anything beyond that (unless you have PCOS) doesn't have much of an effect. It took about 3 months for me to start to see any clearing. I wound up going on Accutane when it stopped working.

But I think you absolutely need to give it more time. 3 weeks isn't enough to see a difference. You should be on something topical, though, I'm not sure why she isn't giving you something.

Exning and KristenP liked
MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 04/03/2016 4:20 pm

Definitely wait at least 2-3 months if you are hesitant to increase the dosage. i agree with the above poster that 100mg seems like a standard for many. I am on 150mg but it took several months to increase to this dosage. Side effects have been minimal. I am still breaking out as i approach 7 months but I don't think my experience is the norm so give it a chance and be patient.

KristenP liked
MemberMember
(@tanebabe)

Posted : 04/03/2016 4:27 pm

Hey there! After being on spiro for 3 months and doing literally HOURS AND HOURS of research on it, it is honestly a miracle worker for people with imbalanced testosterone levels and PCOS; more notably for women 30 and up who suffer from acne. However, I do suggest keeping an eye out for worsening of acne within the next couple of months. Not now, because you are probably going through the initial breakout phase and the drug hasn't really kicked in yet (most people would say it takes about 3 months), but in my experience, I was stubborn about admitting this medication was not for me and caused more damage to be done to my face. My ultimate advice is, if you acne does not make progress or worsens around 3 months, go get your hormone levels checked! This decision can help you understand if this medication is right for you and you and your doctor can take if from there. Best of luck!

KristenP liked
MemberMember
(@viseslav-tonkovic-capin)

Posted : 04/03/2016 4:36 pm

It is good to learn what other people think about spironolactone and their experiences, but in general, only your doctor is in the best position to give you the best advice. So, just as you are asking us for an advice, please ask your doctor in the same words and talk with her. I am looking forward to learning from your experience!

All the best and let's keep fighting acne together!

KristenP liked
MemberMember
(@kristenp)

Posted : 04/06/2016 8:26 pm

Thank you everyone for the advice. I split the difference and take 50mg in morning and 25mg late afternoon. My face is much worse than before I started. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will kick in soon!

MemberMember
(@nikkigirl)

Posted : 04/07/2016 8:22 pm

Spiro worked miracles on my skin and worked right away!

KristenP liked
MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 04/11/2016 3:52 pm

Hey

Im 42 also and started spiro about 2 weeks ago
I am 10mnth post accutane
I also only started breaking out right before i hit 40

The tane worked but I was still getting stubborn breakouts (small ones) about 3 x a week and wanted to be crystal clear!
My derm rec 50mg spiro...I started 2 weeks ago and my skin is much worse now
Lots and lots of small pimples
I am so torn with sticking it out hoping it gets better.....Im afriad it wont kick in and ill be n a worse place than I started!

Im supposed to see my derm in 6 weeks to re-group
I have heard some people have an IB and eventually things clear up but others just seem to continue to break out worse

GL
Kim

KristenP liked
MemberMember
(@kristenp)

Posted : 04/12/2016 9:47 am

I'm day 34 and finally seeing some results! 3rd day without anything new active breakout! I think it's starting to kick in! Yippee!

MemberMember
(@kristenp)

Posted : 04/14/2016 11:13 am

Well I spoke too soon but I'd say stick it out. It definitely gets worse before it gets better. I'm also using retinol which I see I dramatic difference in the texture of my skin every morning. I started with buffering the 0.5% until I used it straight every night now I just started 1%. I love it!