Acne, ingrowns, sha...

Notifications
Clear all

Acne, ingrowns, shaving - what worked for me

MemberMember
(@tomascat)

Posted : 03/30/2016 9:51 am

So I have pretty sensitive skin AND troublesome pimples. I also get a lot of ingrown hairs. All in all a very annoying combination.

After a LOT of reading, I ended up with the following, which works quite well:
- I use Benzac facial cleanser and moisturiser (Benzac is benzyl peroxide based), and Epiduo cream (benzyle peroxide + retinoid)
- I use a double-edge safety razor with proper technique ie a shaving brush, shaving soap, followed by a good aftershave

Apparently the problem with cartridge razors and electric razors is the multi-blade multi pass business. You end up with about 4 or 5 blades all at not quite the right angle and having to press into the skin and having to go over skin multiple times. As a result you get a lot of irritation. Whereas with a DE razor you have a single but extremely sharp razor blade going over your face at most 2 or 3 times.

I won't lie it has a bit of a learning curve but it's not difficult. The key is gliding the razor over your skin gently rather than pressing. There is an outlay for equipment of about $100 at the start but because the blades are super cheap it ends up paying for itself after about 6 months to a year.

Anyway, everyone has something different that works for their particular circumstances but I found that this worked very well for me to reduce irritation, ingrowns and folliculitis without flaring acne. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 04/06/2016 5:33 am

Oh you find epiduo helps ingrowns? interesting... i've currently got an awful shaving rash and lots of ingrown bumps over my cheeks.. was wondering if i should attempt epiduo or not