Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tomascat

Acne, ingrowns, shaving - what worked for me

So I have pretty sensitive skin AND troublesome pimples. I also get a lot of ingrown hairs. All in all a very annoying combination.

After a LOT of reading, I ended up with the following, which works quite well:
- I use Benzac facial cleanser and moisturiser (Benzac is benzyl peroxide based), and Epiduo cream (benzyle peroxide + retinoid)
- I use a double-edge safety razor with proper technique ie a shaving brush, shaving soap, followed by a good aftershave

Apparently the problem with cartridge razors and electric razors is the multi-blade multi pass business. You end up with about 4 or 5 blades all at not quite the right angle and having to press into the skin and having to go over skin multiple times. As a result you get a lot of irritation. Whereas with a DE razor you have a single but extremely sharp razor blade going over your face at most 2 or 3 times.

I won't lie it has a bit of a learning curve but it's not difficult. The key is gliding the razor over your skin gently rather than pressing. There is an outlay for equipment of about $100 at the start but because the blades are super cheap it ends up paying for itself after about 6 months to a year.

Anyway, everyone has something different that works for their particular circumstances but I found that this worked very well for me to reduce irritation, ingrowns and folliculitis without flaring acne. Hope this helps!

Oh you find epiduo helps ingrowns? interesting... i've currently got an awful shaving rash and lots of ingrown bumps over my cheeks.. was wondering if i should attempt epiduo or not