Notifications
Clear all

Papaya helped brighten my skin

MemberMember
(@petpeeve)

Posted : 03/28/2016 4:56 pm

I've never been a big believer in natural home remedies for treating acne/scarring. In my experience, it would take forever for me to see meager results or none at all. However, mom sent me a link for a natural papaya mask since she likes Googling/typingwith a single finger all kinds of natural remedies to heal the world.

I wasdubious, but I gave it a go and I have to say that I was a little impressed by the results.

I recently went through a spontaneous breakout along my jawline, including some of those old cystic nodules from back in my teen heydays (those fuckers hurt!). When the acne healed, they left really dark spots especially on my chin. I'm the kind of gal that has to wait forever to get rid of hyperpigmented skin. It can take up to 2 months for me to see any lightening and 4-5 months for them to go away completely. I figured this mask wouldn't do much, but after 3 consecutive days of treatment, I noticed that my overall color was more visibly even, redness had subsided and my dark spots were 2 or 3 shades lighter. I'd even dare say that although I'm sure it did not directly affect my hypotrophic (icepicks/rolling) scars, it has helped reduced the redness enough that they look more even and less deep.

If anyone is interested in trying this, let me know your results.

Papaya Mask
  • 1/4 strip of fresh papaya w/skin and seeds
  • 2 tbsp of raw organic honey
  • 1/2 of a fresh lemon
  1. Include the papaya, honey and lemon in a blender and blend until you get a paste.
  2. Dab on face in layers for a thick coat.
  3. Leave on for 30 minutes and rinse off.

Word of warning: If you have really sensitive skin or are under any medication that affects your skin, I would stay away from this treatment as it can be irritating. Even if you aren't sensitive, I would not try this longer than 3 consecutive days. The active ingredient working here is the naturally occurring enzyme papain in the papaya. Although this makes a great exfoliant, this enzyme is so effective it can break down protein in cells if overdone. You might feel a tingling sensation the first time you try it and this is completely normal, but if you do feel your skin is starting to burn or itch rinse it off and stop using.

Thanks.