Notifications
Clear all

Non-dermatoligist treatments

MemberMember
(@kelltn123)

Posted : 03/20/2016 7:51 pm

Hi I'm an 18 year old girl with moderate to severe acne. I've had acne since I was about 13 and its steady gotten worse through the years. I've gone to multiple dermatologists and I've been prescribed many different types of antibiotics, topicals, retinoids,etc. Here's list of all the topical products I've used over the past couple years:
Ziana
Onexton Gel 
Aczone
Epiduo
(Also used the clarisonic with cera-ve cleanser)

None of these products worked for me; I used them religiously as prescribed and I saw little to no results for each of them...all they did was dry out my skin and aggravate it. I'm really sick of paying ridiculous consulting fees for expensive products that don't work and now my dermatologist wants to put me on accutane, which after much research I'm not comfortable with taking. Recently I was getting my eyebrows waxed by my Esthetician and she was telling me about some natural homeopathic remedies such as zinc tablets and some type of bark. Also because it was a salon she also recommended a facial they offer there specifically designed for acne using "Aveda" acne products. Am I being conned or do these homeopathic remedies work? Also the facials... I've heard mixed things about facials for acne... Also what about birth control? I've been hesitant to use it for religious reasons but it's gotten to the point now that I'd be using it as a treatment for my acne rather than for what its intended. Pictures are down below...as you can see I break out a lot on my cheeks and jawline and I have a lot of hyperpigmintation going on. Comments and advice on any ideas of treatment are very much appreciated :)

IMG_3702.JPG

IMG_3703.JPG

IMG_3705.JPG

IMG_3704.JPG

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 03/21/2016 6:45 pm

Hey there,  thanks for sharing your story with everyone...
I would suspect that if you've not seen any small improvement while using the prescription topicals that you would find similar results with most of the natural topicals...that said, everyone is unique and it's not impossible that you could find an alternate topical that gives you some improvement.  Experimenting with some dietary changes might be worth a try as it's fairly cost neutral and there is growing support for avoiding dairy and high glycemic index foods.
If you are happy to go on birth control that is definitely worth a try as they often make a big difference for many women and can be taken in combination with diet and topicals.
Don't write off Accutane as a last resort..
Good luck

MemberMember
(@viseslav-tonkovic-capin)

Posted : 03/22/2016 7:57 pm

If you were my daughter you would be on isotretinoin (aka Accutane- brand discontinued in the US), but everyone is different, so you should have a serious talk with your dermatologist. OTCs and homeopathic remedies are for mild acne. Hang in there and keep fighting your acne! Best!