Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone stopped working!!!!

MemberMember
(@saraspoons)

Posted : 03/19/2016 9:43 am

Hi.

I have been going through this acne hell since I was 13. I am now 25. I had about a 5 year break while I was on Spironolactone 100mg and Beyaz. I was 95% clear. I thought I had found the cure. Suddenly, about a year ago it just stopped working. I went to my derm she had be up it to 150mg. Nothing. Put me on Doxycycline (which has cleared me in the past) and nothing. I have no idea what is going on. I have been researching this for almost the main part of my days since this is started to happen. For months and months. I have tried so many supplements, getting off birth control, going down on the spiro, taking a break from the spiro. Trying to cleanse my kidney's, liver, bowels. As maybe it was built up in my system and toxins were too much to handle on on my body. I have no idea. I thought maybe it was the brand, it wasn't changed. I changed the brand, no difference. Tried to change the batch. Nothing. NOTHING IS WORKING. I am just absolutely loosing my mind. This drug worked, and gave me my life back. Now it will not work for me anymore. Does ANYONE have any kind of information on this. This has got to have happened to some other people, and there doctor must have more explanation other than "Well, sometimes it just stops working". What is going on here?! I want to get to the bottom of this!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/20/2016 4:11 pm

Hormones change all the time and since spiro can affect hormones, it is not unheard of for it to upset the balance. I would recommend going back to the drawing board and reevaluating your situation. How's your diet, stress and activity level. It may also be worth going to see a derm who can help you come up with a skin care plan. There are many options before the dreaded accutane (which many of us are pushed into way too early into treatment) so keep on keeping on.

MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 03/21/2016 11:51 pm

Take a blood test to know how is your hormone levels. Maybe it's time to change your birth control. I myself have been taking Yaz for about 6-7 months now and my pimples got back recently too. My doctor told me that, sometimes, lower doses of estrogen, as it is found on Yaz and Beyaz, is not enough to keep the oily skin away, so a higher dose is required. I'm thinking about trying Yasmin to see what happens.

Also, try to use topical treatments as well. Creams such as azelaic acid and Retin-A can make your skin less "acne-prone" so, this way, you won't get much horrible pimples during the time you're trying to switch your oral medicines.

MemberMember
(@jennifer-cheung)

Posted : 03/29/2016 12:49 pm

On 22 March 2016 at 0:51 PM, katsc said:

Take a blood test to know how is your hormone levels. Maybe it's time to change your birth control. I myself have been taking Yaz for about 6-7 months now and my pimples got back recently too. My doctor told me that, sometimes, lower doses of estrogen, as it is found on Yaz and Beyaz, is not enough to keep the oily skin away, so a higher dose is required. I'm thinking about trying Yasmin to see what happens.

Also, try to use topical treatments as well. Creams such as azelaic acid and Retin-A can make your skin less "acne-prone" so, this way, you won't get much horrible pimples during the time you're trying to switch your oral medicines.

Hey dear I'm on Yaz too but I'm only on my second pack. Do you still have fairly oily skin while on it? I have considered switching to Yasmin too because my skin has been super dry on Yaz! But not sure if Yasmin with a higher dose of esteogen will give me even drier skin :S

MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 04/01/2016 12:04 am

On 29/03/2016 at 2:49 PM, Jennifer Cheung said:
On 22/03/2016 at 1:51 AM, katsc said:

Hey dear I'm on Yaz too but I'm only on my second pack. Do you still have fairly oily skin while on it? I have considered switching to Yasmin too because my skin has been super dry on Yaz! But not sure if Yasmin with a higher dose of esteogen will give me even drier skin :S

Hey, Jennifer! Yes, I was still having problems with acne while on Yaz (not too much, but was getting tiny, annoying little bumps on my face). Recently switched to Yasmin and my skin improved a lot.

In your case, I don't know if you should give up Yaz yet. It takes about 3-5 months to see if it's working for your skin -- and you're only on your second pack. I would give more two or three months before taking any decisions. Frankly I would prefer a drier skin than an oily, since it's waaaayyy easier to control it. 😛

MemberMember
(@jennifer-cheung)

Posted : 04/03/2016 3:26 am

On 2016/4/1 at 1:04 PM, katsc said:
Hey, Jennifer! Yes, I was still having problems with acne while on Yaz (not too much, but was getting tiny, annoying little bumps on my face). Recently switched to Yasmin and my skin improved a lot.

In your case, I don't know if you should give up Yaz yet. It takes about 3-5 months to see if it's working for your skin -- and you're only on your second pack. I would give more two or three months before taking any decisions. Frankly I would prefer a drier skin than an oily, since it's waaaayyy easier to control it. :P

Hey! Thanks for the advice :) Yeah I think I'm going to give it another two months before deciding whether to switch to Yasmin or not! Glad to know that Yasmin is doing well for you!

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 04/05/2016 12:00 am

I think I've noticed diminishing effects of birth control over time when it comes to acne. At first my skin would be very very clear whatever I ate. Years later I would get those large lumps on my jawline even though I was on birth control, exercising, and trying to eat healthy. Inositol ended up being a miracle cure for me. If you haven't tried it look it up, give it a chance. It comes with some minor side effects which to me were a small price to pay to now be back to 97% clear. I take 1.8 grams total, split in 2 dosages night and day. I take Jarrow's formula powder. There has been a study on this stuff that proved it reduced free testosterone in the blood, which is often a major acne culprit especially for people with hormonal acne. I eventually went back to no exercising (bad, I know), but that didn't bring acne back. Diet, however, still affects it somewhat, but still not nearly as much as Inositol. Standard dosage is 600mg but a lot of people take well over what I do. So if it helps for you and then it stops working, you have a lot of room to up the dosage. I did by 3x already to get almost completely clear. I take it along with Yaz. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@saraspoons)

Posted : 04/25/2016 4:47 pm

Update here:

I got off the Spironolactone 100mg and the Beyaz birth control. It has been a YEAR OMG. It has been a year. I still have not found out what the problem is. I am still having breakouts, really pretty bad. My 'type' of acne has changed constantly over this past year. From tiny all under the skin bumps, to deep cysts just on my chin and forehead, to a ton of whiteheads everywhere, to intense cystic acne just along my cheeks. I have no idea what is going on here, but it has left me with a face full of red spots and scars and always about 10 active pimples now.

I am now working with a Naturopath to try and get to the root - I have changed my diet, but with no change. Also did a 3 week elimination diet with no change. (I also have stomach issues, as does my whole family). The biggest thing we found after we had my blood work done was that the Spironolactone did some significant damage. Even though I have been off this drug for months now, my body is still sparing potassium. My sodium levels are also very low. And my liver function isn't doing so well. My thyroid is also a bit off. Oh, and my D levels are really very low (23). It is going to be a long and slow process from here. I feel like I am just back to my old high school self, never leaving the house, full of anxiety and feeling sick to my stomach to have to 'paint' my face every morning. I spend most of my spare time researching. The amount of written notes I have is insane, you would think a full YEAR at this and I would have something figured out, and I really don't. Almost 10 years with this emotionally crippling acne (5 year break on Spiro, if only I knew that was my only break), and I am exhausted to say the least.

I still just am so puzzled why the Spironolactone stopped - I am thinking it was a build up of toxins especially in my liver. Or it could have possibly been that my sodium levels just got too low and it was loosing its effectiveness since I was/am constantly dehydrated.

I have tried just about all there is in supplement/herbs. Right now all I am on is, and have been on for about 2 months, with no change:

Tincture: Milk Thistle, Licorice, Dandelion, Red Raspberry
Vitamin D: 10,000 IU
Iodine: 1 Drop / .5ml
Gentian: Before meals to help stimulate natural stomach acid production
Dandelion Tea: 3x Daily
Ginger Powder: 1 tsp Mixed in water

As we move forward I will be introducing more supplements if we just cannot get to the root of this. Things like, fish/krill oil, probiotic, zinc, collagen, chlorella, magnesium, turmeric, liver support, L-glutamin, Quercetin, Betain HCL, Diatomaceous Earth, orgegao oil, berberine, allicin, other hormone herbs, homeopathic nat mur, and I may even try Estroblock and DHT block again.

Forever loosing my mind,

Sara

MemberMember
(@elleemme)

Posted : 04/26/2016 12:31 am

Hi Sara,

Maybe stress might be impacting all of this?? I feel for you and I know how frustrating it is, trying to become chemists to figure out what the flip is going on with our bodies... I feel that sometimes just sticking with a healthy regimen without expectations, getting some sunshine & making ourselves happy impact all of this... It sounds too simplistic I know & it's hard not to stress about something so major that you see every time you look in the mirror or get a glimpse of yourself... Detach yourself from all the negativity if you can... Think Good & It Should Be Good...

MemberMember
(@saraspoons)

Posted : 04/26/2016 6:08 pm

Hi Elle,

Ah, I think it could all do our bodies good to be less stressed out, but once someone figures out how to actually accomplish that I think we could cure more than just acne. We could probably take over the world. I am the same amount of stressed out as I have always been. I'm not even that stressed. I work from home, I live a pretty simple life - I'm outside a lot. The only thing that causes extra stress is the acne, but I'm quite sure that is not my main problem here. Of course there may be a deeper root to the 'stress' concept of cortisol imbalances in my body, but hormone testing is something that is very expensive and I am going to work all my other clues out before I take that step. I also think the concept of telling others to be less stressed out, in actuality makes the person more stressed out because they are now wondering why they can not get themselves to be less stressed out, ya know?

MemberMember
(@bodysnxtcher)

Posted : 05/03/2016 10:11 am

hi Sara! we've spoken thru email on a couple of occasions regarding this issue. I'm sorry to hear you are still dealing with this. unfortunately for me, Im also still dealing with acne despite being on 75mg of spiro.. (Im slowly titrating off) I can't remember if I asked you this previously, but have you been evaluated for PCOS? i would consider getting a home hormone saliva test panel, because then atleast you'd have a clearer look at what you're dealing with. if your estrogen-progesterone ratio is off, pcos could be the cause of your persistent hormonal acne. I was diagnosed with pcos despite not being overweight, no irregular periods nor having excessive facial hair, which are all the typical markers of the syndrome. it's always a possibility.. Also, have you looked into vitex? I've read a couple of reviews of the herb on here, some people have been able to switch from taking spironolactone to vitex and their skin cleared significantly. I've recently started taking it every other day, and no adverse effects noted thus far, skin wise. it does take 1-3 months to see its full potential..

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 05/18/2016 7:16 pm

On 5/3/2016 at 11:11 AM, bodysnxtcher said:

hi Sara! this is Tess, we've spoken thru email on a couple of occasions regarding this issue. I'm sorry to hear you are still dealing with this. unfortunately for me, Im also still dealing with acne despite being on 75mg of spiro.. (Im slowly titrating off) I can't remember if I asked you this previously, but have you been evaluated for PCOS? i would consider getting a home hormone saliva test panel, because then atleast you'd have a clearer look at what you're dealing with. if your estrogen-progesterone ratio is off, pcos could be the cause of your persistent hormonal acne. I was diagnosed with pcos despite not being overweight, no irregular periods nor having excessive facial hair, which are all the typical markerhnxs of the syndrome. it's always a possibility.. Also, have you looked into vitex? I've read a couple of reviews of the herb on here, some people have been able to switch from taking spironolactone to vitex and their skin cleared significantly. I've recently started taking it every other day, and no adverse effects noted thus far, skin wise. it does take 1-3 months to see its full potential..

hey I'm pretty sure I have PCOS. What saliva test is this and what's it called? Also, have you found anything that works for you? Thnx.

MemberMember
(@saraspoons)

Posted : 05/20/2016 12:55 pm

On May 3, 2016 at 11:11 AM, bodysnxtcher said:

hi Sara! this is Tess, we've spoken thru email on a couple of occasions regarding this issue. I'm sorry to hear you are still dealing with this. unfortunately for me, Im also still dealing with acne despite being on 75mg of spiro.. (Im slowly titrating off) I can't remember if I asked you this previously, but have you been evaluated for PCOS? i would consider getting a home hormone saliva test panel, because then atleast you'd have a clearer look at what you're dealing with. if your estrogen-progesterone ratio is off, pcos could be the cause of your persistent hormonal acne. I was diagnosed with pcos despite not being overweight, no irregular periods nor having excessive facial hair, which are all the typical markers of the syndrome. it's always a possibility.. Also, have you looked into vitex? I've read a couple of reviews of the herb on here, some people have been able to switch from taking spironolactone to vitex and their skin cleared significantly. I've recently started taking it every other day, and no adverse effects noted thus far, skin wise. it does take 1-3 months to see its full potential..

Hey Tess!! Yes I do remember talking to you via e-mail. Ugh I am going through absolute hell lately with my skin, I thought it was worse before when I thought my Spironolactone had stopped working and I was still on Beyaz Birth Control. But now! That I am off both of those, oh my god. I am actually waiting on test results for my saliva hormone test! I am getting the trio done of Estrogen, Progesterone and Testosterone. Which of course I realize will be a bit of help but I really wish I could get my free testosterone, DHT, DHEA, and cortisol tested in there as well - but I don't have a money tree growing in the backyard. Yet. I have actually been on quite a big dose of Vitex for one month now, no real change in acne, it may have ever so slightly been more manageable but its still absolutely terrible - its all over the sides of my cheeks big and small, all over my forehead and temple and on my jaw and chin - I mean just my entire face. I even get some in the center of my cheeks under my nose, upper lip etc. I did however have a lighter period and my boobs have decreased sized SIGNIFICANTLY. So its doing something.

I don't see my naturopath until we get the test results in from my hormone saliva panel. However I am interested to see what it tells, I'm sure I have very low progesterone and either something going on with my estrogen whether I am estrogen dominant or even low in estrogen but just high in bad estrogens. And my testosterone I feel like will come back normal, even though I know I have something pretty severe going on with my androgens because why else would Spironolactone have worked 100% immediately if I did not have an androgen problem?

Just over here loosing my mind in the internet when I should really be working,

Sara

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 05/21/2016 2:06 pm

On 5/3/2016 at 11:11 AM, bodysnxtcher said:

hi Sara! this is Tess, we've spoken thru email on a couple of occasions regarding this issue. I'm sorry to hear you are still dealing with this. unfortunately for me, Im also still dealing with acne despite being on 75mg of spiro.. (Im slowly titrating off) I can't remember if I asked you this previously, but have you been evaluated for PCOS? i would consider getting a home hormone saliva test panel, because then atleast you'd have a clearer look at what you're dealing with. if your estrogen-progesterone ratio is off, pcos could be the cause of your persistent hormonal acne. I was diagnosed with pcos despite not being overweight, no irregular periods nor having excessive facial hair, which are all the typical markers of the syndrome. it's always a possibility.. Also, have you looked into vitex? I've read a couple of reviews of the herb on here, some people have been able to switch from taking spironolactone to vitex and their skin cleared significantly. I've recently started taking it every other day, and no adverse effects noted thus far, skin wise. it does take 1-3 months to see its full potential..

hey...I think I " met" you on another site about coffee and acne but you posted like two years ago.

MemberMember
(@bodysnxtcher)

Posted : 05/25/2016 9:34 am

On 5/20/2016 at 1:55 PM, saraspoons said:

Hey Tess!! Yes I do remember talking to you via e-mail. Ugh I am going through absolute hell lately with my skin, I thought it was worse before when I thought my Spironolactone had stopped working and I was still on Beyaz Birth Control. But now! That I am off both of those, oh my god. I am actually waiting on test results for my saliva hormone test! I am getting the trio done of Estrogen, Progesterone and Testosterone. Which of course I realize will be a bit of help but I really wish I could get my free testosterone, DHT, DHEA, and cortisol tested in there as well - but I don't have a money tree growing in the backyard. Yet. I have actually been on quite a big dose of Vitex for one month now, no real change in acne, it may have ever so slightly been more manageable but its still absolutely terrible - its all over the sides of my cheeks big and small, all over my forehead and temple and on my jaw and chin - I mean just my entire face. I even get some in the center of my cheeks under my nose, upper lip etc. I did however have a lighter period and my boobs have decreased sized SIGNIFICANTLY. So its doing something.

I don't see my naturopath until we get the test results in from my hormone saliva panel. However I am interested to see what it tells, I'm sure I have very low progesterone and either something going on with my estrogen whether I am estrogen dominant or even low in estrogen but just high in bad estrogens. And my testosterone I feel like will come back normal, even though I know I have something pretty severe going on with my androgens because why else would Spironolactone have worked 100% immediately if I did not have an androgen problem?

Just over here loosing my mind in the internet when I should really be working,

Sara

I would be interested in seeing your hormone test results to compare with mine! I wonder if we have the same type of imbalance. my estrogen was so so incredibly high and my progesterone was basically non existent. my testosterone was slightly high but still within the normal range for my sex/age. (keep in mind these results were from last spring when I was still taking Spiro 100mg every day, without fail.) my dheas was very low, as was my cortisol, but I didn't get a full day test, morning only. I've been taking vitex every other day for a month now as well, and so far I've noticed that my breakout during ovulation and right before my period was slightly worse than usual, maybe (it's hard to tell nowadays if my skin is actually worse or just heightened anxiety about my skin, hah) but Im taking a break from vitex during my period and will start back up again, however I will start taking 400mg x5 days a week. it's made my period a lot lighter as well, which I'm happy about. your decrease in breast size is a great sign that vitex is working to balance the probable estrogen dominance in your body, which can cause water/fat retention in the breasts/hips/stomach. I'm taking all of this as a good sign that at least the vitex is doing SOMETHING, I know it will take probably just about as long as it did for the Spiro to clear my skin, as most hormonal shifts take (3-4 months) so hang in there!! chances are, if you have low p and high estrogen, androgen production can be amped way up as well through process of aromatase. vitex will gradually lower your t as well. there was a post on here by Green Gables all about it, but I can't remember the name..

best of luck! keep me updated, and remember you are not alone in this crazy acne mess.

MemberMember
(@saraspoons)

Posted : 05/25/2016 10:18 am

35 minutes ago, bodysnxtcher said:
I would be interested in seeing your hormone test results to compare with mine! I wonder if we have the same type of imbalance. my estrogen was so so incredibly high and my progesterone was basically non existent. my testosterone was slightly high but still within the normal range for my sex/age. (keep in mind these results were from last spring when I was still taking Spiro 100mg every day, without fail.) my dheas was very low, as was my cortisol, but I didn't get a full day test, morning only. I've been taking vitex every other day for a month now as well, and so far I've noticed that my breakout during ovulation and right before my period was slightly worse than usual, maybe (it's hard to tell nowadays if my skin is actually worse or just heightened anxiety about my skin, hah) but Im taking a break from vitex during my period and will start back up again, however I will start taking 400mg x5 days a week. it's made my period a lot lighter as well, which I'm happy about. your decrease in breast size is a great sign that vitex is working to balance the probable estrogen dominance in your body, which can cause water/fat retention in the breasts/hips/stomach. I'm taking all of this as a good sign that at least the vitex is doing SOMETHING, I know it will take probably just about as long as it did for the Spiro to clear my skin, as most hormonal shifts take (3-4 months) so hang in there!! chances are, if you have low p and high estrogen, androgen production can be amped way up as well through process of aromatase. vitex will gradually lower your t as well. there was a post on here by Green Gables all about it, but I can't remember the name..

best of luck! keep me updated, and remember you are not alone in this crazy acne mess.

Hi!

Are you taking a progesterone cream? You totally should do something about that super low progesterone - Vitex will help but it won't actually replace the hormone you are lacking - I assume I will be on a progesterone cream or a pill (Progestomend) that my Naturopath suggested once we get the final results. Also what I thought was odd that you pointed out it took a while for the Spironolactone to kick in for you - for me it was literally a few days and my acne just completed STOPPED. It was a miracle and stayed like that for almost 5 years. I definitely agree that the Vitex is doing something to my body, just not really anything to do with acne. I'm actually just a few days past ovulation today and my nipples/breasts are so sensitive and painful just to brush clothing against them. I have noticed this has happened the last 2 cycles and it also coincides with a bad cystic flare in acne. So I think it is safe to say my acne is at its worse right after ovulation. I can't figure out if that means low or high progesterone, but low obviously makes more sense. I'm just really ready to get my tests back now, I can hardly stand this anymore it has been almost a year going through this all over again - and now it is summer again and it just makes it that much harder, I want to run outside right when I wake up, but I have to take an hour to cake skin colored stuff on my face to look like a normal human. It is just so scared, and so many open sores and scabs and big bumps and small bumps, its absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe there isn't more information out there to stop this - it is an absolute life inhibitor. I will be sure to post my results when I get them!

MemberMember
(@bodysnxtcher)

Posted : 05/25/2016 12:10 pm

1 hour ago, saraspoons said:
Hi!

Are you taking a progesterone cream? You totally should do something about that super low progesterone - Vitex will help but it won't actually replace the hormone you are lacking - I assume I will be on a progesterone cream or a pill (Progestomend) that my Naturopath suggested once we get the final results. Also what I thought was odd that you pointed out it took a while for the Spironolactone to kick in for you - for me it was literally a few days and my acne just completed STOPPED. It was a miracle and stayed like that for almost 5 years. I definitely agree that the Vitex is doing something to my body, just not really anything to do with acne. I'm actually just a few days past ovulation today and my nipples/breasts are so sensitive and painful just to brush clothing against them. I have noticed this has happened the last 2 cycles and it also coincides with a bad cystic flare in acne. So I think it is safe to say my acne is at its worse right after ovulation. I can't figure out if that means low or high progesterone, but low obviously makes more sense. I'm just really ready to get my tests back now, I can hardly stand this anymore it has been almost a year going through this all over again - and now it is summer again and it just makes it that much harder, I want to run outside right when I wake up, but I have to take an hour to cake skin colored stuff on my face to look like a normal human. It is just so scared, and so many open sores and scabs and big bumps and small bumps, its absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe there isn't more information out there to stop this - it is an absolute life inhibitor. I will be sure to post my results when I get them!

I am using a natural progesterone cream, I start using it after ovulation until my period starts, which is an average of 10 days. honestly, I have no idea if it helps me, but I may not be using enough to make a difference. I believe the reason why you're experiencing sore breasts is that by vitex creating more progesterone into your body can actually "wake up" the estrogen receptors in your body initially and making them more sensitive to fluctuations, thus making your symptoms of estrogen dominance more pronounced temporarily until your system gets used to it. I hope that made sense.. ice recently been getting some small cysts beside my mouth which I attribute to this temporary estrogen "wake up crisis" as well. I usually only get those annoying whiteheads around my chin and cheeks. and trust me, I know the struggle of having to cake your face every morning before doing anything and feeling like the world is ogling at the bumps on your face. I miss waking up, washing my face and going out the door without makeup, such a liberating feeling. I've just recently started to feel comfortable enough to go to the gym without makeup even with a face full of acne, but I have a long way to go until I can fully stop caring. it's been a bit over a year since this has started for me, and I've held back from trying anything new until recently for fear of breaking out even worse. it's made me even more of a recluse. I've decided to give vitex a full run along with maybe ditching the Spiro completely and trying spearmint capsules as a substitute for 4 months minimum, because what is there to lose, right? these things take time.

MemberMember
(@saraspoons)

Posted : 06/06/2016 4:34 pm

Hello! I got my test results back. I'm still a bit confused on them. Apparently I am incredibly low on Estrogens?! That seems very odd and worrisome for someone my age (25). My progesterone is apparently within normal range, which is what I thought was the problem with it being low. And my Testosterone is higher, but I'm hoping its just higher because there is not enough Estrogen to balance it out. Why would my body not be producing enough Estrogen? Does this mean there is something wrong with my pituitary or my ovaries? Oh my, what do you think of this? I'm going to make another post to ask more opinions!

Estradiol - 0.8
Progesterone - 112
Testosterone - 48
Ratio: Pg/E2 - 140

RANGES:
Estradiol: 1.3 - 3.3 (Pre-meno / Luteal)
Progesterone: 75-270 (Pre-meno / Luteal)
Testosterone: 16-55 (Age dependent?)
Ratio: Pg/E2: Optimal 100-500 When E2 1.3 - 3.3

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/06/2016 5:10 pm

Hey hon, it could be a condition like PCOS or sometimes!es hormone fluctuation are caused by ovarian cysts or pituitary tumors only rarely.
PCOS is more a metabolic disorder , the origins ate not really understood. I have it but when I'm on hormonal treatments I'm a lot better. I take yaz and just started spironolactone.

Most of us have no idea why our hormones dont behave, it could be genetics, environment, food additives, who knows. But its becoming more common all the time.

MemberMember
(@saraspoons)

Posted : 06/06/2016 6:51 pm

1 hour ago, snarkygirl said:

Hey hon, it could be a condition like PCOS or sometimes!es hormone fluctuation are caused by ovarian cysts or pituitary tumors only rarely.
PCOS is more a metabolic disorder , the origins ate not really understood. I have it but when I'm on hormonal treatments I'm a lot better. I take yaz and just started spironolactone.

Most of us have no idea why our hormones dont behave, it could be genetics, environment, food additives, who knows. But its becoming more common all the time.

My test results indicated that this was not PCOS - plus I don't think low Estradiol levels are typical of PCOS.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/06/2016 7:24 pm

33 minutes ago, saraspoons said:

My test results indicated that this was not PCOS - plus I don't think low Estradiol levels are typical of PCOS.

how will they treat you?

MemberMember
(@saraspoons)

Posted : 06/06/2016 7:32 pm

5 minutes ago, snarkygirl said:
39 minutes ago, saraspoons said:

how will they treat you?

I am not sure yet! I am waiting to hear back from my naturopath to schedule an appointment. But I am guessing to supplement with Estrogen & Progesterone. I believe that way the Testosterone will lower itself or not be as high once the Estrogen & Progesterone are increased. Even though it says I am in the higher Testosterone level, I do not have increased body hair or odor or any of the typical increased Testosterone symptoms are - in fact I have very little body hair, and body odor.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/06/2016 7:58 pm

25 minutes ago, saraspoons said:
I am not sure yet! I am waiting to hear back from my naturopath to schedule an appointment. But I am guessing to supplement with Estrogen & Progesterone. I believe that way the Testosterone will lower itself or not be as high once the Estrogen & Progesterone are increased. Even though it says I am in the higher Testosterone level, I do not have increased body hair or odor or any of the typical increased Testosterone symptoms are - in fact I have very little body hair, and body odor.

thats good. I've always wanted to try those specific hormonal tests.

MemberMember
(@bodysnxtcher)

Posted : 06/08/2016 7:24 am

On 6/6/2016 at 5:34 PM, saraspoons said:

Hello! I got my test results back. I'm still a bit confused on them. Apparently I am incredibly low on Estrogens?! That seems very odd and worrisome for someone my age (25). My progesterone is apparently within normal range, which is what I thought was the problem with it being low. And my Testosterone is higher, but I'm hoping its just higher because there is not enough Estrogen to balance it out. Why would my body not be producing enough Estrogen? Does this mean there is something wrong with my pituitary or my ovaries? Oh my, what do you think of this? I'm going to make another post to ask more opinions!

Estradiol - 0.8
Progesterone - 112
Testosterone - 48

RANGES:

hi! your results are indeed a bit puzzling.. but there could be several reasons for your low estrogen. I recall you mentioned you at some point were taking DIM, correct? this may have something to do with it, but I'm not too sure. also, we're you already taking vitex when you took this hormone panel? also, It could be that since your hormone panel only measured estradiol, you technically could still have high estrogen (in the form of estrone, which is deemed a "bad" estrogen of of the 3 main types, and low in good/neutral estrogens such as estradiol and estriol. doing a quick search through some forums has told me this is actually a common occurrence with women. specifically women with what is referred to as "lean pcos", meaning their main hormone imbalance comes from unopposed high testosterone levels, which cause a domino effect with all the other hormones, especially estrogen. I've also read that BC/Spiro can cause lowered levels of good estrogen (estradiol) and high levels of bad estrogen. again, I'm not sure what exactly could be going on with that buts this is what I think.. how are you fairing on the vitex by the way? I've recently started taking one 400mg pill everyday and I think I'm going to die. hah. my estrogen levels are def being stimulated right now, my ovulation breakout has started way earlier than usual and my face looks like garbage. also if the wind blows too hard, I think my breasts will fall off. so much pain. I hope this won't last too long, but I plan on giving it a whole 3.5 months before deciding whether to continue or not.

MemberMember
(@saraspoons)

Posted : 06/08/2016 7:57 am

25 minutes ago, bodysnxtcher said:
On June 6, 2016 at 5:34 PM, saraspoons said:

Estradiol - 0.8
Progesterone - 112
Testosterone - 48

RANGES:

hi! your results are indeed a bit puzzling.. but there could be several reasons for your low estrogen. I recall you mentioned you at some point were taking DIM, correct? this may have something to do with it, but I'm not too sure. also, we're you already taking vitex when you took this hormone panel? also, It could be that since your hormone panel only measured estradiol, you technically could still have high estrogen (in the form of estrone, which is deemed a "bad" estrogen of of the 3 main types, and low in good/neutral estrogens such as estradiol and estriol. doing a quick search through some forums has told me this is actually a common occurrence with women. specifically women with what is referred to as "lean pcos", meaning their main hormone imbalance comes from unopposed high testosterone levels, which cause a domino effect with all the other hormones, especially estrogen. I've also read that BC/Spiro can cause lowered levels of good estrogen (estradiol) and high levels of bad estrogen. again, I'm not sure what exactly could be going on with that buts this is what I think.. how are you fairing on the vitex by the way? I've recently started taking one 400mg pill everyday and I think I'm going to die. hah. my estrogen levels are def being stimulated right now, my ovulation breakout has started way earlier than usual and my face looks like garbage. also if the wind blows too hard, I think my breasts will fall off. so much pain. I hope this won't last too long, but I plan on giving it a whole 3.5 months before deciding whether to continue or not.

Hey! Yea I'm not really sure - I was only on dim for about a month, it didn't do anything. I'm sure I still have some bad estrogens in there, but I think my main cause of the acne right now is the higher Testosterone ratio to low-er Progesterone and Estrogen. I think if I get those both up where they need to be through bio-identical creams, maybe DIM also, and some sort of natural anti-androgen like saw palmetto or I can just keep it light like spearmint tea, because like I said I don't have any PCOS symptoms, I barely have any body hair, etc. And that makes sense being on the BC & Spiro for so long it just started decreasing my good Estrogens?. I have been doing the liquid tincture Chaste Berry (which tastes like the worst thing I have ever tasted) for (oh okay a month and a half, not two months) and I haven't really had too many side effects, except my boobs really shrinking, maybe a very very slight help in acne, but I think honestly thats more from the Daily Vitamin I started taking. So yea not too much happening from the Vitex/Chaste Berry on my end - it definitely did not make my skin worse, so. I would be a little weary if it actually starts making your skin worse, why don't you get a hormone test? I did mine through ZRT labs and it was $100 totally worth it, I feel stupid for not doing it before and just shooting in the dark.