Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mickey237

What should you do after getting a cortisone shot?

I just received a cortisone shot on a cyst on my cheek about 7 hours ago and I've had a bandaid on the spot since.

I have since mixed reports online talking about whether I should apply any type of topical treatment or not (I have prescribed 5% Benozyl Peroxide with 1.2% Clindamycinal and other natural topical treatments like 100% Aloe Vera Juice & Organic Honey). So is it safe for me to apply a topical treatment where I received the cortisone shot on?

I'd also assume I'd have to cleanse my face before applying a topical treatment.

Thank you.

It is safe to use BP or Clindamycin after a cortisone shot, in addition to aloe vera and honey. However, I've actually found that putting nothing at all on it does much better for some reason! 

Thank you! I put on both BP/Clindamycin & Aloe Vera where the shot occurred and swelling has continued to subside and redness/darkness too. 

I'll go to sleep tonight without putting anything on it to see if the same holds true to me

I just had a cortisone shot on a small red pimple that wouldn't go away. I had the shot on Monday around 7 pm (about 48 hours ago) and while it's smaller it's not completely flat yet. I'm getting upset and discouraged. Is this normal? Should I go to my Derm and ask for another shot or am I just being impatient? I don't know how long I need to wait to see the results I was hoping for. Thanks for any thoughts or advice. 

OK, I'm feeling a bit better after seeing this post! I'm assuming if BP + clindamycin were OK 7 hrs after the shot, applying aczone 12+ hrs after would be OK too (it's definitely more gentle than BP or clindamycin). But I wish there were more resources or info online about post-cortisone shot treatment! My derm told me wash gently and apply a warm compress, but didn't say anything about aczone the following morning and of course, the office was closed today...