Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide + Sun Exposure

MemberMember
(@seal184)

Posted : 03/14/2016 9:46 am

Hi.. So I've been using benzoyl peroxide for about 2 months now and it actually has cleared up my mild acne around my mouth. I am left with some hyperpigmentation and potential whiteheads that go away as I continue to use the benzoyl peroxide (5% wash in morning, 5% wash at night, 2.5% spot treatment overnight). I just use the wash and spot treatment around my mouth, where my acne is. However, I traveled to Florida for a vacation and have only been here two days and noticed that around my mouth (where I apply benzoyl peroxide) is turning much redder/darker thwn the rest of my face... I'm assuming because of the benzoyl peroxide. I'm wearing SPF 60 sunscreen and a hat while in the sun (which is a lot..). First of all I want to make sure that that's normal and will go away? Has this happened to anybody else? Second, does anyone have any recommendations on how to stop that area of my mouth from becoming so red and blotchy? It isn't acne, it's just red! It looks horrid. Or just sharing any personal experiences. If I can be reassured that it will go away, that will help:) Thanks!

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 03/23/2016 5:46 pm

Hi seal184, with the care you're taking in the sun I agree that the redness you're experiencing around the mouth is from the BP and therefore should go away if you can eventually cut back or stop treatment. There are a few products around that report to help alleviate redness and I know that epiology cream is helpful as a moisturiser in that regard. All the best.

MemberMember
(@intothewild)

Posted : 05/14/2016 7:51 am

It should go away and i'll tell you why i assume this lol. NEVER go in the sun without a sunscreen if using BP. When i first started using bp i was 16-17 and went out on the lake with my buddies that had a boat. I seriously ended up with sun poisoning on my face. It looked extremely bad but after about a month it healed and the redness slowly went away over time. I was more worried about cancer risk than the redness back then though, trust me you never want to get sun poisoning like I did. If mine can heal than yours can definitely heal and go away with time.

MemberMember
(@shrewdbamboo)

Posted : 06/04/2016 12:47 pm

I notice that even a small amount of sun exposure can make a BP treated area red. Buy some non-comedogenic sunscreen- your skin will thank you for it.