Notifications
Clear all

Advice on how to start my acne diet

MemberMember
(@19yokid)

Posted : 03/13/2016 1:38 am

Hello everybody, I'm currently trying to change my lifestyle to see if it helps my acne. However, the diet part has been a little difficult for me. What should i eat and what should i not? And what about supplements and vitamins?

For now, I'm avoiding
1. Diary (cheese is tough to quit :( ) ,
2. Processed sugar ( soft drinks, fruit juice etc) - Can i eat my oranges though?
3. Caffeine
4. Processed food? (Macdonalds etc?, I'm not too sure about this)

But what should i eat? Coming from an Asian family, i grew up eating white rice. Should i change to brown rice? Is white food a nono? Can wholemeal items be a substitute? One thing i find it very difficult is to find acne healthy food outside. Do you guys cook your 3 meals or are there actually choices outside of home/cooking? TYVM ;) 

MemberMember
(@kb1693)

Posted : 03/26/2016 4:27 pm

I don't know what will work for you, but I can tell you what worked for me.

I have suffered from mild/moderate acne for 6 years, 16 - 22 (current age) topicals dried out my skin which helped heal some spots due to skin shedding and spots popping quicker, they didn't however prevent acne at all. I was also prescribed antibiotics, multiple types which did nothing but cause me severe side effects.

What I have done to eliminate all active acne is to follow a meat, vegetables and fruit only diet. I can eat any meat, any vegetable/herbs, any fruit, as long as its natural without preservatives it's good.

Doing this is have stopped all active acne, now I just have lots of spots that refuse to reduce in redness, but I have no new ones. I'm still trying to figure out why the redness won't go away... when I first started this diet change I had lots of spots on my chin and they cleared up and all the redness went away, likewise the spots of my forehead and cheeks stopped but the redness remains for some reason.

I don't know why this diet works, how it works, maybe it's the preservatives, maybe I have a food allergy, maybe I have insulin resistance, there are so many possibilities and it's very difficult to pinpoint the reason.

Avoid alcohol, caffeine, dairy and wheat/gluten, only eat things which are natural. I guess rice could be considered natural but I don't eat that either. trial and error is the best way, it's frustrating because it takes time. stop taking all supplements, stop applying any topical, stop taking any antibiotics (I know, sounds crazy, especially if you think you are seeing results from these things) just adopt a paleo way of living, even if it's just for a week and see if you notice a difference. If diet is really causing your acne you will know for sure within the first week as you will have no new breakouts and you should start to see healing taking place.

hope you find your cure so you can leave this place and relieve the burden that acne is on your life, permanently.