Notifications
Clear all

Acne Scars causing ageing?

MemberMember
(@pimpleridden)

Posted : 03/12/2016 6:03 am

Hi all,

Hope you are well. I am feeling very down because of my skin. I always have people thinking i'm 30 but i'm actually 20. I don't know why but the overall quality of skin is just soo bad.
I've had severe acne for approx 4 years. 3 months ago i finally started accutane. I've currently taken accutane for 3.5months with minimal improvement. 
Dosage 
0-1.5      months - 10mg
1.5-2.5   months - 20mg
2.5-3.5  months - 30mg
3.5 >     months - 40mg (will stay on that for the rest of the course, or maybe a little more(according to derm))

I am experiencing no noticable side effects other than dry lips and slightly dry skin. My facial skin is slowly getting better but my chest and back acne is worst than ever atm. However, I still trust that accutane will clear me up soon.

Its not just the acne which is bothering me, it's the scars, bad skin tone, skin roughness, unevenness, elasticity, fine lines, wrinkles, and lots of other weird stuff which seems to be stuck. It makes look so old and feel so depressed. I feel like I can't fit in with my peers cos I look 10 years older than everyone else.

Do you think there'll be a fix to my facial skin disaster? Is there any scar treatments you would recommend?

I'm really afraid.... afraid that I will never look like a 20 year old in my lifetime... afraid that my skin will stay like that forever and just keep getting worse, more and more wrinkles... 

Attached is pictures, but it looks much worse in real life.

Thank you so much for the help

IMG_1815.JPG

IMG_1819.JPG

IMG_1829.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

IMG_2031.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2033.JPG

MemberMember
(@scarface6556)

Posted : 04/16/2016 8:32 pm

dude honestly some of our pimples still look very severe ...you need to be taking MUCH higher doses than you are right now ...accutane will not cure your acne with the amount your taking right now . as for the aging part, i will have to agree. it seems like my scars are making lines and connecting, causing wrinkles etc. it SUCKS. you can improve your scarring but it will cost a lot of money and be difficult and if your lucky itl be improved by a little...first thing first though, take higher doses of accutane to get rid of your acne ..

MemberMember
(@byte_me_0k)

Posted : 04/16/2016 11:24 pm

Hi!yes scars can make you look older. But most of all skin discolorations make people look older. If i look at your face i see a male in their 20s but around 28 maybe 30. This is not so much due to your skin concerns but also your bone structure. Don't worry too much. Accutane dries skin out. You can get scaly patches etc. This also makes you look older. This is only temporary. Dry skin looks older. If your skin is not dry anymore... most of the dry lines go away. You can always look younger with a good and fashionably haircut and clothes that make you look younger. So no blouses or slacks but more contemporary clothes. And smile. When smiling often people will think you look better and younger.

MemberMember
(@petpeeve)

Posted : 04/17/2016 6:24 am

It's not your acne/scars it is your face structure. You look "chiseled", if that's an appropriate word. Guys in their early 20's still have baby fat around their face giving away their age. You look more developed than most 20 year olds and that's not necessarily a bad thing, scars or no scars.

MemberMember
(@pimpleridden)

Posted : 04/22/2016 2:14 am

thanks for your honest responses, and sorry about the weird as pictures cos when i took them i didn't plan on posting them online,took those pictures purely for just looking at skin.
so it's really just simply my bone structure which makes me look older, even if i had clear skin i will still look 28-30?
i see some males who have a chiseled face but still look young.
how bad would u guys rate my scars?

MemberMember
(@scarface6556)

Posted : 04/24/2016 12:54 am

On April 22, 2016 at 0:14 AM, PimpleRidden said:

thanks for your honest responses, and sorry about the weird as pictures cos when i took them i didn't plan on posting them online,took those pictures purely for just looking at skin.
so it's really just simply my bone structure which makes me look older, even if i had clear skin i will still look 28-30?
i see some males who have a chiseled face but still look young.
how bad would u guys rate my scars?

honestly ur scarring looks bad but u havw to get rid of ur acne before even asing about that

MemberMember
(@people-are-mean)

Posted : 07/05/2017 1:34 pm

Hello , I don't we should be judged on how we look, I am going through a hard time. I am 42 my pics look young even when I look in the mirror I can't see much to be too concerned with. But every where I go people are whispering to each other than looking at me and laughing a lot. It happens every where I go . I have scars from acne rosacea, and lines from all the stress I have endured in the last year. If only people can realize they are not perfect and think if what ever they say and do to us will come back to them but more severe , Maybe they will leave people alone and allow us to live. I can't even go anywhere anymore. 

august ,.jpg

JAD321 liked
MemberMember
(@sibel)

Posted : 10/09/2018 6:36 am

Acne scars and aging... awful combination... after 40 I started to see scars which I have not noticed before. Aging skin shows everything(((( so for us acne scars sufferers aging is going to be twice more difficult! It is not easy with normal skin and for it is just pain... will have to do plastic surgery soon((..sagging checks reveal all scars..

MemberMember
(@obi-wan)

Posted : 10/11/2018 3:52 am

See a good dermatologist. Get inflammation under control as this is hitting your fat layer. Use dilute steroids for CYSTS.Then start on early scar management, eMatrix, 1550 Fraxel, etc....etc... gentle non ablative treatments. See a dermatologist who will subside the rest, and augment with buffer filler. Not a difficult job, just got to see the correct person. You will be OK. Subside inflammation ASAP as if one looks at the pathology there is inflammation in the fat layer.